PDA

View Full Version : Craftsmanship

Uncle Paul
04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
My recent XPL purchase reminded me of how impressed I was with the craftsmanship evident in the XPL-200A's I purchased last summer. I've been too busy since then to advance my plans for these as I've been on the road two of every three weeks, and am in the middle of an addition that sucks up whatever time and money I have left over.

I was able to take a day a few weeks back to visit c3474 and listen to his XPL90's. Wow - for a small 2-way these are the nuts. The purpose of that trip was to document the XPL-90's as much as I could - dimensions, inductor DCR's, etc., with the intention of making clones (have the drivers). Another project in the list...

All I can say about all three cabs is freaking WOW. These are very complex shapes that required the utmost in precision and craftsmanship to do right. And right, they are. All three pair I've examined were obviously flawless when new, and in in piano black there is no room for error. I've never seen a non big box store JBL cab that was poorly done, but these really are special, frankly works of art.

My hat is off to the engineers who designed and the craftsmen who built these from the the mesh grilles and drivers to the flawless cabs.

SEAWOLF97
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
My hat is off to the engineers who designed ......... the flawless cabs.

sorry Paul..couldn't resist.

Uncle Paul
04-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Even on a chalkboard the craftsmanship is better than most of the new stuff :D

4313B
04-15-2010, 06:19 AM
I was able to take a day a few weeks back to visit c3474 and listen to his XPL90's. Wow - for a small 2-way these are the nuts.The XPL90A was a real hit with the ladies. They thought is sounded fantastic and ended up taking it home. :yes:

Jerry Moro has a pair in his office despite the shortcomings of the little 6.5" polycone.

I will admit that when I first took the XPL200A out of the box I was disappointed that it didn't have an LE14H and a 112H variant instead of the 2214H and 115H-1. I was also disappointed that the XPL160A didn't have an LE10H variant. But that's all history now. :p

Killer enclosures and craftsmanship as already mentioned.

DavidF
04-15-2010, 09:45 PM
"...I will admit that when I first took the XPL200A out of the box I was disappointed that it didn't have an LE14H and a 112H variant instead of the 2214H and 115H-1. I was also disappointed that the XPL160A didn't have an LE10H variant. But that's all history now.."

So, I took some inspiration from your mention of this some time ago to rework the XPL200 format. Fortunately I have a couple of LE14H-1 and boxes that fit them quite nicely. They integrate rather nicely with the other XPL200 drivers. Padded down the upper drivers, a bit, and tweaked the shunt a little on the woofer. But overall they sound quite nice with the otherwise stock crossover. Given some time I am going to work in the 2108H I have. That is tricky since I have to go full passive and therefore rework the network.

jhal
04-16-2010, 03:01 PM
I am another happy owner of these mighty fine speakers. I have had my XPL-200A's for almost two years now and they never cease to amaze me. :applaud: