PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand a Voltage drive

JuniorJBL
04-09-2010, 07:54 PM
To measure a "voltage drive" is this done with a frequency sweep through the crossover with a dummy load or the driver connected?
Meter hooked up to the input for overall voltage then to the outputs?

Please forgive if I have misunderstood

Robh3606
04-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Still learning.....:(

Hello

We all are that what makes it fun;)

Why do you want to know what it is?? What do you want to learn from it??

Are you going to use it as a "Guide Curve" in a software program like LEAP Crossover shop?? Are you trying to see what the crossover interaction is with the driver attached because the summed response is not what you expected??

Yes you can get it with either a dummy load or the driver. To do the sweep you need to know what your "0Db" reference point is and then measure the voltage across the load as you run the sweep and work out the attenuation as you go.

In LEAP to modify or change an existing crossover to say a biamp version I find it easier to use dummy resistor load to work out the changes using the original crossover voltage drive as a "Guide Curve"

If I am doing things from scratch, making a crossover, I use the driver measurements always.

I don't know what you are looking for so I hope this response helps you. Here is a set-up JBL used to measure their Voltage Drives

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network%20Schematics/Standard%20Test%20Fixture.pdf

Rob:)

grumpy
04-10-2010, 12:15 PM
I'll just add to what Rob said in that the published voltage drives curves
from JBL are useful if you are going to 1) use their described fixture to
perform the measurements and 2) you are attempting to reproduce an
existing JBL crossover, whether the desire is to use components very near
to what was originally used... or to design and verify an alternative
implementation (e.g., w/o unavailable tapped inductors).

JuniorJBL
04-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys!

I would just like to have this knowledge for future refrence and also to run them on my cc'ed 250Ti crossovers just to see what is there.
More curiosity than anything and the need to be able to do things with confidence.:)

BTW I do not have LEAP but I just recently purchased S&L Speaker Tester which has a pretty good crossover simulator.

grumpy
04-11-2010, 05:14 PM
S&L has offered good support and provided useful updates, even for my
"lowly" WT2...:) The Speaker Tester looks like a nice/useful extension of
that product line.

JuniorJBL
04-11-2010, 06:23 PM
So far it is pretty nice. Have not dug to far into it but works very well.
Yes Brian and Keith are extremely helpful. A big plus.:)