PDA

View Full Version : A visit to the kingdom

Regis
07-19-2004, 09:27 AM
I visited JBL in Northridge California on Wednesday to pick up some dustcaps in person as I didn't want them mailed. Got there on a hot smoggy typical San Fernando Valley afternoon and though I've lived there for decades, I never visited until now. Harmon Kardon has this place built up as a huge "business campus" for a variety of other business's as well. It goes on for blocks and blocks. The JBL manufacturing facility is pretty big by itself.

I get there and go to the main headquarter door and find out from the guards in the lobby that Pro Service is a couple of blocks away to the south. I ask if I could take a picture of the lobby and they were kind enough to let me take a shot or two. Here is the front of the building

Regis
07-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Took some convincing for the security guards to let me take this pic.

Regis
07-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Got to JBL Pro Customer Service. Ah, it's all e-commerce now or by the phone ordering. There is no service counter. You walk in on the left through the glass door and you're basically standing in the middle of the loading dock. A security guard got someone to come out of the warehouse to help me out.

I waited on the right side while this very nice gent tried to find someone in sales. I had waited about fifteen minutes and I got a phone number of a woman. He couldn't get ahold of her, so I started walking back to the car and about a block back, I decided to try calling. I got through. So I stopped and sat on a curb in the parking lot while fishing out my wallet for a credit card transaction. While sitting under the eucalyptus tree and telling Carla what I wanted, some suit type walked by with a mail pony in his hand giving me a curious look.

I almost wanted to say, 'hey buddy, a counter would've been great!' but that costs money to run. I had visions of being surrounded by stacks of speakers boxes, cool posters (well, I saw a few in the loading dock area...) and maybe they would've gave me a complimentary pair of LSR's for being the only idiot to show up actually looking to buy something <8^). I wrapped up the phone con and specifically asked that the dustcaps be boxed and then got in my hot little car and went home. It was interesting nonetheless and I'm getting my 4" dustcaps for my brother's 2214H's.

Zilch
07-19-2004, 12:03 PM
"DO NOT JUMP OFF DOCK," and

"DO NOT CLIMB LADDER," either.

O.K., Got it....

:rockon1: "HELLO? [Hello, hello, hello....]

Is there anybody IN there...?"

boputnam
07-19-2004, 12:10 PM
So that's where they keep us!!??

At least it's ventilated... :(

Chas
07-19-2004, 12:17 PM
So that's where they keep us!!??

I thought that it was a new wide dispersion midrange array!
:D

scott fitlin
07-19-2004, 02:19 PM
What? No grand tour of where and how they make the JBL speakers?

I would think that the JBL factory would offer tours, and have little custom made chocolates shaped like woofers and horns, and JBL logos!

Oh well! :rotfl:

Ian Mackenzie
07-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Another E Commerce debacle.......where are the humans

Ian

scott fitlin
07-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
Another E Commerce debacle.......where are the humans

Ian Debacle or not, YOU are looking at the FUTURE! No BS, thats the future!

Maron Horonzakz
07-20-2004, 05:56 AM
I ROBOT

Donald
07-20-2004, 06:11 AM
I am not sure what it takes to get parts. I have e-mailed and sent a fax. No response. How do you get parts? 30 min phone call reading off part numbers and quantities?

boputnam
07-20-2004, 06:47 AM
And, you'll find they're nice folks!

Donald
07-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Nice folk answer their e-mail and faxes. :)

Especially when they are a business.

boputnam
07-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Well, that may be, but in their world (but not of their design...), they are indeed nice people doing an awkward business, the best they can.

Get to know them - they are really quite helpful - and the time zone of JBL Pro, and it all works.

Thank goodness they offer this stuff, at all - and the offering is less and less, almost monthly... :(

4313B
07-21-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Donald
I am not sure what it takes to get parts.The same way it's always been done - visit any Authorized JBL Dealer and they will order the parts for you. Don't harrass the two people at JBL because they are busy filling all the orders for the Dealers. If you love ordering crap via the net go here (http://www.jblproservice.com/forms/parts_order.html). Just make sure you have all spyware removed first using SpyBot S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) along with Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/).

Donald
07-21-2004, 06:19 PM
I looked at using that order form but please notice you are sending your CC number in clear text. That is not a secure site.

I will call.

4313B
07-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I asked them about that once and they said it was secure. I don't blame you for not trusting it either. I notice the same with their tent sale order form.

Robh3606
07-21-2004, 07:07 PM
I noticed that too but I caved and did it anyway. I have used it several times between the Tent and Parts. No issues so far.

Rob:montyp:

scott fitlin
07-21-2004, 07:10 PM
But I alway do my orders over the phone, and have never had any CC fraud problems from purchasing from JBL!

And if JBL has the parts in stock, they shippped in a timely manner!

Regis
07-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Same experience as Giskard. I specifically asked JBL to ship the dust caps (or domes as they call them) in a box. What shows up on my doorstep, a yellow paper envelope with a bubble wrap liner. I knew what to expect when I opened up the envelope. The dustcaps were totally wrinkled. It looks like they had a break dance contest on top of them before shipping them out to me. Sigh, going to have to call them again. I don't want them and they'd even be useless as Super-Bowl breast covers.

4313B
07-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Good Grief! :banghead:

boputnam
07-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Regis
Same experience as Giskard. I specifically asked JBL to ship the dust caps (or domes as they call them) in a box. What shows up on my doorstep, a yellow paper envelope with a bubble wrap liner. I knew what to expect when I opened up the envelope. The dustcaps were totally wrinkled. It looks like they had a break dance contest on top of them before shipping them out to me. Sigh, going to have to call them again. I don't want them and they'd even be useless as Super-Bowl breast covers.

Man, we gotta get to Dave with this. Could it be that someone else is doing the packaging /shipping? Maybe Dave and Carla are only pulling the inventory? Sheeit. I might lob a call in, myself...

Regis
07-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Dave answered and I told him I talked to Carla and ordered some dust caps and they came in totally wrinkled. He put me on hold and Carla answered. She remembered me and had my order in front of her. I told her that they looked like the postal guys ran it over with the truck a few times for giggles. I reminded her that I specifically asked that they be boxed and she said that she would "tell them again" and would ship out a new pair today...

boputnam
07-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Regis
...Carla answered...and she said that she would "tell them again" ...

"Doodette - I'm wearing the iPod and can't hear you..." :biting:

Regis
07-22-2004, 11:14 AM
:rotfl: Yah Bo! I'd bet that you're right! Probably jamming to the new Nickleback and stuffing envelopes for fun and profit.