PDA

View Full Version : JBL C50 Information needed

hiendcomponent
04-06-2010, 12:30 AM
I just found a pair of JBL C50 from a local guy. Before making purchase, I would like to ask all experts in this forum that what should I look for? like component model, horn.... anything I need to know.. I know nothing about it. I just know that they are great speakers. Please help. Thank you so much all.

BMWCCA
04-06-2010, 04:41 AM
I just found a pair of JBL C50 from a local guy. Before making purchase, I would like to ask all experts in this forum that what should I look for? like component model, horn.... anything I need to know..

The Search function here is your friend but Google (Advanced) search by site might work better. Pictures and details would help if you're trying to determine potential value, or work needed, usually just new surrounds or re-coning of the LE15As . If they've been driven hard, the Alnico drivers may need some re-magging. USUALLY, they'll be loaded thusly:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1969-home/page31.jpg

pyonc
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
[quote=BMWCCA;284928]The Search function here is your friend but Google (Advanced) search by site might work better. Pictures and details would help if you're trying to determine potential value, or work needed, usually just new surrounds or re-coning of the LE15As . If they've been driven hard, the Alnico drivers may need some re-magging. USUALLY, they'll be loaded thusly:

I've never heard about 're-magging' of the drivers. What is this?
I've thought the Alnico drivers are just for permanent use. No?

BMWCCA
04-06-2010, 08:24 PM
It's been said here that Alnico drivers that have been driven hard can lose their charge and may need to be recharged. This is supposedly not the case with ferrite magnets. Again, use the search function to find "recharge" threads. There are many of them.

hiendcomponent
04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
The Search function here is your friend but Google (Advanced) search by site might work better. Pictures and details would help if you're trying to determine potential value, or work needed, usually just new surrounds or re-coning of the LE15As . If they've been driven hard, the Alnico drivers may need some re-magging. USUALLY, they'll be loaded thusly:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1969-home/page31.jpg
Thank you for all. Today I stopped by his house and checked a look at the speakers and i saw LX-5, LE-15A & LE-75 and he asked for $2200. The cabinet looks ok. They need some refinish. The question I have is are they fair price? and LE-75 is not in the table above? could someone explain this please. Thank you.

hjames
04-07-2010, 02:47 AM
Thank you for all. Today I stopped by his house and checked a look at the speakers and i saw LX-5, LE-15A & LE-75 and he asked for $2200. The cabinet looks ok. They need some refinish. The question I have is are they fair price? and LE-75 is not in the table above? could someone explain this please. Thank you.

Have you played your favorite music/test tracks through his system and verified that you really like the sound of them?
Does it hit the high end notes the way you like them?
Does the bass sound the way you like it?
Do you hear any holes in the sound?
Do you think they are worth $2200?

hiendcomponent
04-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Have you played your favorite music/test tracks through his system and verified that you really like the sound of them?
Does it hit the high end notes the way you like them?
Does the bass sound the way you like it?
Do you hear any holes in the sound?
Do you think they are worth $2200?
Unfortunately, He did not have any amp/preamp to test. All component looks good. Any advice will help. I am new baby to this.

hjames
04-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately, He did not have any amp/preamp to test. All component looks good. Any advice will help. I am new baby to this.

Wow - he's asking $2200 without a listening test, and the cabinets need some work too??

That a big leap of faith for you.
If you can't take an amp and CD player, or some sort of sound source to check the speakers with,
I'd pass, unless he's going to lower the price quite a bit ...

Of course, that's MY choice - your mileage will vary ...

hiendcomponent
04-07-2010, 02:55 PM
When I took a look of the component and they have LE75 instead of LE85. Is it better or not in sound and value? what the different of LE75 Vs LE85. Thank you all.

hjames
04-07-2010, 03:44 PM
When I took a look of the component and they have LE75 instead of LE85. Is it better or not in sound and value? what the different of LE75 Vs LE85. Thank you all.

So - what they have is an 075 bullet tweeter and a 15 inch woofer - just doesn't seem like enough drivers ... seems there would be a hole in the midrange!

The 175 driver is a very collectable midrange horn - its always possible someone took it out, sold it for maximum dollars, and now they are trying to get big bucks for the incomplete rest of the system ... that may or may not be the current seller.

But, think about it, if the JBL chart doesn't show that driver combination, there may be a reason!

Seen this thread yet??
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8776

BMWCCA
04-07-2010, 08:01 PM
When I took a look of the component and they have LE75 instead of LE85. Is it better or not in sound and value? what the different of LE75 Vs LE85. Thank you all.Nope, not as "good" or a better "value". Just an older system.

Are you sure you're applying the search function? http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1962/page24-25.jpg

;)

locanti
04-08-2010, 05:04 AM
I beleive you find S6 systems in C50 enclosures:applaud:.Are the drivers blue or grey?If blue ,they maybe from 1960 to 1962, very valuable.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1962/page24-25.jpg

Test each driver with a 9V battery.If they 'plop' ,they are good.:bouncy:

sheltiedave
04-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Hiendcomponent, I am in St. Louis(south county) and can help you. Give me a ring - check your personal message box.