PDA

View Full Version : Vintage DuKane

boisepaddy
04-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Hello all. I recently removed a complete DuKane speaker system from 50 feet up in an old cathedral in Boise Idaho. Yes they are officially Holy Speakers. I believe they are sub 1960's. Trying to find out more information about them and figure out what to do with them. I bench tested them and all are in perfect working order. I did not have the heart to let the electricians take to the landfill. These are vintage and the larger horns and drivers are very heavy. The bass cabinet consists of 2 - 15" Speakers. The model numbers are:

15" 6A405 (2)
Drivers 183-265 (4)
Drivers 183-304 (2)
183-262 / 282 (2)
183-294 (2)
Small Misc.
Horns 183-300 (2 large)
Horns (2 Medium)
Horns (2 Small)

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can supply photos. Thanks. Patrick

jcrobso
04-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Most of us don't know the DuKane model # but we know a JBL when we see one.;)

Wagner
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Hello all. I recently removed a complete DuKane speaker system from 50 feet up in an old cathedral in Boise Idaho. Yes they are officially Holy Speakers. I believe they are sub 1960's. Trying to find out more information about them and figure out what to do with them. I bench tested them and all are in perfect working order. I did not have the heart to let the electricians take to the landfill. These are vintage and the larger horns and drivers are very heavy. The bass cabinet consists of 2 - 15" Speakers. The model numbers are:

15" 6A405 (2)
Drivers 183-265 (4)
Drivers 183-304 (2)
183-262 / 282 (2)
183-294 (2)
Small Misc.
Horns 183-300 (2 large)
Horns (2 Medium)
Horns (2 Small)

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can supply photos. Thanks. Patrick

Old American company, still in business. Like Bogen, most of it's products have been public address/industrial/commercial in focus.

Some "hi-fi" work, again similar to Bogen. I think DuKane did the "plasma" tweeters?

I would not think the pieces would be particularly valuable, but then again I can't see what you have.

Someone that needed public address gear could certainly use them. I would be certain the quality is excellent for what it is.

http://www.dukane.com/default.htm

Thomas

Goodwill_HiFi
04-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I would not think the pieces would be particularly valuable......

Whoa, hold on there........those could very well be JBL built. Just because something comes from a paging company, don't assume it's not worth anything.

spkrman57
04-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Let us see some pics and then we can decide!

Could be a diamond in the rough and be worthwhile!

I can't wait to see the pics.

Regards, Ron

Whoa, hold on there........those could very well be JBL built. Just because something comes from a paging company, don't assume it's not worth anything.

BMWCCA
04-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Whoa, hold on there........those could very well be JBL built.

:) Yep, I believe that was jcrobso's point! http://www.mye28.com/images/smiles/popcorn.gif

jcrobso
04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
:) Yep, I believe that was jcrobso's point! http://www.mye28.com/images/smiles/popcorn.gif
I have seen some DuKane/JBL LE175 on eBay.
That's why I asked for pictures.

subwoof
04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Just got some pics from the seller - the 1" ( 3 bolt ) drivers are the later alnico ( made by panasonic ) types and have the long 1 to 2" adapters mounted to the larger multicell horns ( the thin steel versions I think ).

It's been 30 years since I hung these things all over the place but I know that driver well - dukane gave it the same number as the JBL alnico it replaced and drove everyone crazy since the replacement dia's weren't interchangeable. Which was fun after a 4 hour service call drive..:(

And the cones have a vented dustcap - standard stamped OEM CTS woofers that Dukane bought. Sorry guys - no JBL here...if these had been 10 years older...:)

BTW - the driver numbers are the adapters / throats...the drivers are the 5A350 ( panasonic version with AL dia ).
sub

Wagner
04-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Did NOT say nor imply they weren't worthwhile, just that they were probably not that VALUABLE

DuKane, based on my knowledge of the company, did not incorporate JBL transducers in their "turn key" systems

They also manufactured many, if not all, of their drivers themselves in the early days

They also licensed considerable patents and designs to others, notably EV

Thomas

subwoof
04-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Here is the JBL chart I posted a few years ago ( and the whole thread ) concerning the driver-number conundrum. Dukane did use JBL in their "turnkey" systems but all systems were assembled by the dealers and most did some changes to accommodate the particular project's requirement.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20081&highlight=dukane

sub

Wagner
04-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Here is the JBL chart I posted a few years ago ( and the whole thread ) concerning the driver-number conundrum. Dukane did use JBL in their "turnkey" systems but all systems were assembled by the dealers and most did some changes to accommodate the particular project's requirement.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20081&highlight=dukane

sub

My apologies, and thank you for the information. My intended meaning was for other than dealer installed custom jobs (and early days, as in before "out sourcing"), still it appears I was wrong. The '70s are modern times to my mind. :D

Thomas