PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use class T amplifiers?

Progneta
04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I am curious if anyone has ever used a Class-T amplifier? PE has one

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

I am not advocating them in anyway, just curious if anyone has ever heard one. They look pretty neat, as they are small. I was thinking about picking one up and comparing it to a MC275 or MC7150 for the heck of it :D

-G

Wagner
04-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I am curious if anyone has ever used a Class-T amplifier? PE has one

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

I am not advocating them in anyway, just curious if anyone has ever heard one. They look pretty neat, as they are small. I was thinking about picking one up and comparing it to a MC275 or MC7150 for the heck of it :D

-G

They are big and popular over at the Klipsch forum

When a really cheap one first appeared at Target (you could buy it as a system too, with card board flat speakers you "assembled") I tried to find one but the Targets around here never had them.

Guys were actually hooking these $29 dollar amps up to K-Horns and giving them good reviews..............

..........but then again, NO loudspeaker sounds as good as a Klipsch :bouncy:

Seriously though, if you strike out here, there's plenty there. I wouldn't think they'd be a very good match for most JBLs, except for the "antiques".

Thomas

SMKSoundPro
04-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Do a search here and I believe you will find someone using a T amp for their slot tweeters.

Scotty.

Progneta
04-01-2010, 03:06 PM
I looked around on the forums and couldnt find anything really on Tamps.

I was thinking about hooking a Dayton 100 T amp up to my Altec A7's (515b and 802G) and some 414-16b's and 802D drivers. I am curious how they will sound as the minimum efficiency is around 99db. Usually my A7's get about 5 watts avg, which seems to rattle my brain pretty good. I figure for $100 worth a shot, plus if its a complete failure, the amp will work just fine for my computer speakers :)

timc
04-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Have tested a small cheap T-amp. About $50 for it iirc.

For the price its ok, but it sounded really bad. Harsh and difuse sound all the way. But hey, what can you demand for $50 new in box?

For a small PC system, i think it would do quite nice.

Slare
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM
The most common Sonic T-amps (two versions sold, PE now sells the original version as Dayton branded) really need to be used on AC power with 4 ohm speakers to work well.

They don't generate much power with 8 ohm loads and the output is about halved again when on battery power. The SQ deteriorates quickly as they are overdriven so to get real use out of them running AC is pretty much mandatory and 4ohm drivers help a ton.

I have a couple T-amps I use for portable testing and for ipod type speaker boxes. One of them driving a decent pair of 6.5" coaxial speakers in a proper box works really well for a portable system, and though the output it lessened they do have really nice battery life (maybe 12 hours on 8 rechargeable AA's).

As noted they also work well for a compact / minimal desk or office type setup. Those three applications make the two I have quite handy, and they get used a lot. Every time I take one on the road with me to test out Craigslist speakers, people are always amazed at the little thing.

This new PE offering is interesting but the price is creeping up and it is no longer usable with batteries so I have a harder time understanding where it fits in except for space limited applications.