PDA

View Full Version : Parts Express Speaker Reconing Service

svollmer
03-30-2010, 03:23 AM
I was just ordering some stuff from PE and saw that they now offer reconing service for many brands (including JBL) of loudspeakers. I looked up reconing a 2245H and the quote came to $140 + S&H.

I know some others have been concerned about not being able to have their older JBL's rebuilt, but maybe this is something that's promising. :dont-know

Anyone have any experience or comments on it?

Steve

http://www.parts-express.com/speakerrepaircenter/index.cfm

BMWCCA
03-30-2010, 05:42 AM
I don't see anywhere that they mention what replacement cones they will be using. It certainly doesn't promise original JBL replacement parts.

timc
03-30-2010, 05:44 AM
To a lot of people, a cone is a cone :banghead:

JeffW
03-30-2010, 06:39 AM
I was just ordering some stuff from PE and saw that they now offer reconing service for many brands (including JBL) of loudspeakers. I looked up reconing a 2245H and the quote came to $140 + S&H.

I know some others have been concerned about not being able to have their older JBL's rebuilt, but maybe this is something that's promising. :dont-know

Steve

http://www.parts-express.com/speakerrepaircenter/index.cfm

You can still get the 2245H reconed with JBL parts, but the cone kit alone is just shy of twice the figure you quoted ($270 ea for the cone kits, plus labor, plus shipping both ways to the reconer). That may make it more a question of wanting to pay to have their older JBL stuff rebuilt correctly vs the cheaper alternative.

I personally went the JBL route. A fresh cone job should last a decade or more, then a re-foam another. If I'm still sucking air by then, I'll consider it $400 well spent.

scott fitlin
03-30-2010, 07:46 AM
The P.E. recone price calculator gave me a piece of $140.00 for a 2240H. NO WAY, everyone else gives me a $330.00 price. And P.E. gives $100.00ea as a 2235H recone price.

Either the calculator is wrong, or these so are NOT JBL parts.

Wagner
03-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Just a theory:
JBL could be dumping inventory, if they are winding down their State side operations

In the auto trade it's done quietly; you open a "Standard" brand parts box and inside is a "Standard" branded part, a genuine manufacturer's part, OR an Italian or chinese clone

This happens a lot as a result of one company picking up an account from another vendor, same with belts and hoses

Either way, let's try to pin them down on who's parts they're using

My experience with Parts Express (as far as customer service type issues and questions) has been mediocre at best

Just thinking out loud

Thomas

Mr. Widget
03-30-2010, 08:25 AM
My guess is that all repairs are using Waldom or other aftermarket parts. Someone should call them up and ask. If they are using genuine JBL parts at those prices it is a hell of a deal. I doubt it though.

Widget

Wagner
03-30-2010, 08:34 AM
My guess is that all repairs are using Waldom or other aftermarket parts. Someone should call them up and ask. If they are using genuine JBL parts at those prices it is a hell of a deal. I doubt it though.

Widget

I would have to agree with you; my theory was just that and nothing more than wishful speculation of sorts

Parts Express is very much a retailer; why would they sell so cheap if any of what I suggested were true, EXCEPT could be part of the deal

Remember when Michelin under cut it's own dealers/franchises and started selling it's tires at price clubs and any other distributor that met the most minimum criteria? AND gave them better pricing in return for exposure and volume? This was a long time ago, and is apples and oranges, but stranger things have happened.

One is dumping costly to maintain inventory, one is preservation/growing market share.

Symptoms are similar though, for the short term anyway.

Thomas

scott fitlin
03-30-2010, 08:35 AM
I'll call later today. IF it really is GENUINE JBL It is an AMAZING PRICE! However, I was looking at the section pertaining to reconing unknown woofers, and they clearly show the OLD ribbed cone, and stamped frame basket, reconed with a smooth sided cone.

Could be Waldom.

Wagner
03-30-2010, 08:53 AM
I'll call later today. IF it really is GENUINE JBL It is an AMAZING PRICE! However, I was looking at the section pertaining to reconing unknown woofers, and they clearly show the OLD ribbed cone, and stamped frame basket, reconed with a smooth sided cone.

Could be Waldom.

Good luck and God Bless getting a straight answer from those folks.

While you have them on the phone; see if you can find out why it's cheaper to order parts (the "shipping and handling") as a first timer through their Amazon store front than with an account through theirs proper.

We're talking cap orders here (a handful), legit $3.95 First Class Flat Rate box through the Amazon page, versus some ridiculous 1lb. $14 dollar bull shit direct from them. This on more than one occasion. Do a cart on PE's site, then do the identical cart on the Amazon store page, you'll see what I'm saying (IF they haven't finally corrected this :bs:)

And this is NOT subsidized by Amazon in any way form or fashion.

They never could explain the disparity after I presented them with the invoices; just stopped communicating

So, "Tip-o-The Day":
When ordering anything from Parts Express, use their Amazon store front
Your stuff will ship straight from Parts Express and sometimes even faster
AND you'll save $10 bucks or better, depending on the size of your order

Thomas

JeffW
03-30-2010, 09:10 AM
I thought JBL only supplied JBL recone kits to authorized JBL repair facilities? I don't see Parts Express (http://www.jblproservice.com/service/ohio.html) listed.

sonofagun
03-30-2010, 09:13 AM
They may be farming the work out to an outside recone shop.

BTW, cannot get to PE website currently - ????

Wagner
03-30-2010, 09:27 AM
According to someone on this thread, no more "Waldom" as far as recone kits:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14776/

Can't find anything on the web either except passives and plugs at:
http://waldom.com/

Thomas

scott fitlin
03-30-2010, 10:09 AM
There is a Canadian outfit called Santon, that makes aftermarket JBL recone kits.

scott fitlin
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM

While you have them on the phone; see if you can find out why it's cheaper to order parts (the "shipping and handling") as a first timer through their Amazon store front than with an account through theirs proper.

We're talking cap orders here (a handful), legit $3.95 First Class Flat Rate box through the Amazon page, versus some ridiculous 1lb. $14 dollar bull shit direct from them. This on more than one occasion. Do a cart on PE's site, then do the identical cart on the Amazon store page, you'll see what I'm saying (IF they haven't finally corrected this :bs:)

They never could explain the disparity after I presented them with the invoices; just stopped communicating

So, "Tip-o-The Day":

ThomasI have a NET 30 account with them, I call on the phone, and get free shipping all the time.

sonofagun
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM

So, "Tip-o-The Day":

Thomas

Welcome to the wonderful world of mail order shopping in the 21st century!

Wagner
03-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I have a NET 30 account with them, I call on the phone, and get free shipping all the time.

Not certain what a "NET 30" account is; I'm speaking from the perspective of the rank and file occasional end user.

Is this a commercial account? What are the requisites? Practical for the hobbyist?

Thomas

Wagner
03-30-2010, 10:19 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_30

That sucks; I pay them on the spot.

Better deal for having someone carry the note for 30 days?

I can remember when cash Ruled the Day; business or private

Interesting.

Thomas

scott fitlin
03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
OK, I called, I talked to P.E. Tech Support, who put me directly into the recone shop, and I again, SPOKE to a person and asked IF these are GENUINE JBL recone kits?

As always, meaning every time I have ever used P.E. for other things, they were courteous, and forthcoming with honest answers.

They had no problem telling me that the kits used are NOT JBL, and are aftermarket brands.

Hey Wagner, BETTER THAN GOOD LUCK TODAY! Just GOOD OLD FASHIONED HONESTY, is what I got from P.E.! Granted they sell a ton of Eminence and stuff, but honestly I have never had a problem with them, in any way.

I mean, yup, they advertise ridiculously low recone prices, and upon asking, they said without hesitation the kits are NOT JBL!

And, I was talking to a person within 1 minute of calling.

ANY other negativity you wish to unload here today?

scott fitlin
03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Not certain what a "NET 30" account is; I'm speaking from the perspective of the rank and file occasional end user.

Is this a commercial account? What are the requisites? Practical for the hobbyist?

ThomasI have a commercial account, NET 30 means I can order today, and be billed, and pay in 30 days!

You can remember when KASH WAS KING! Good going, as so can I! BUT, being in business, we recieve our merchandise, I run a merchandising arcade as well as my bumper cars, and we have accounts with MANY suppliers of MANY things. EVEN 35 years ago, IT WAS IMPORTANT TO MAINTAIN GOOD CREDIT RATINGS! ALL businesses take orders on commercial credit accounts. And are billed, later.

However, I called, I am just another phone call to them, and the young man who answered was courteous, and told me he did not know the answer, transferred me to the recone shop, another young man answered, I said hello, and asked my question! He answered directly, NO THEY aren't JBL kits!

OK? :banghead:

Wagner
03-30-2010, 10:39 AM
I have a commercial account, NET 30 means I can order today, and be billed, and pay in 30 days!

You can remember when KASH WAS KING! Good going, as so can I! BUT, being in business, we recieve our merchandise, I run a merchandising arcade as well as my bumper cars, and we have accounts with MANY suppliers of MANY things. EVEN 35 years ago, IT WAS IMPORTANT TO MAINTAIN GOOD CREDIT RATINGS! ALL businesses take orders on commercial credit accounts. And are billed, later.

However, I called, I am just another phone call to them, and the young man who answered was courteous, and told me he did not know the answer, transferred me to the recone shop, another young man answere4d, I said hello, and asked my question! He answered directly, NO THEY aren't JBL kits!

I did not mean to imply that Parts Express was discourteous, dishonest or unscrupulous in anyway, just that they aren't my favorite vendor.

I am happy to hear you enjoy a good rapport with them, very important for someone in business, such as yourself.

Thank you for the investigation, and

Relax :)

Thomas

scott fitlin
03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I will relax. When and IF you begin posting intelligently! :banghead:

scott fitlin
03-30-2010, 10:44 AM

So, "Tip-o-The Day":

ThomasWagner HERE is your post saying I wouldn't get a straight answer from P.E.!!!!

Wagner
03-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I have a commercial account, NET 30 means I can order today, and be billed, and pay in 30 days!

However, I called, I am just another phone call to them, and the young man who answered was courteous, and told me he did not know the answer, transferred me to the recone shop, another young man answered, I said hello, and asked my question! He answered directly, NO THEY aren't JBL kits!

Were you able to learn the reason regarding their shipping/billing discrepancies for non-commercial accounts, by chance?

Thomas

Wagner
03-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Wagner HERE is your post saying I wouldn't get a satraight answer from P.E.!!!!

You are really holding my feet to the fire.

I was merely relating my experience.

I wasn't trying to offend you OR Parts Express.

It's just an expression of exacerbation.

You're reading more into it than is there.

Thomas

LRBacon
03-31-2010, 07:57 AM
I'll have to give the PE Amazon store front a try. Quite often there are just a few Items I need, go to check out and discover that it's going to cost me an arm and a leg just to ship the items. Then I just do without or try to locate them locally. Thanks for the info, Tom.

Larry

Wagner
03-31-2010, 09:31 AM
I'll have to give the PE Amazon store front a try. Quite often there are just a few Items I need, go to check out and discover that it's going to cost me an arm and a leg just to ship the items. Then I just do without or try to locate them locally. Thanks for the info, Tom.

Larry

Yes, I urge you to do so.

As I said, UNLESS something has changed since my last order, the PE site proper doesn't even give you U.S.P.S. First Class Mail as an option. When I contacted PE they basically said just that, not an option...........they have found that their shippers of choice have worked out "best".....

............go to their Amazon store, fill your cart and proceed to check out, and guess what? $3.95 U.S.P.S., up to 5lbs. in the box, I think, FLAT RATE is available.

When I contacted them regarding this disparity and asked them to please explain, their responses STOPPED.

Those are just the FACTS of my experiences with them; I cannot and will not pretend to speak to motive or reason(s).

And yes, I too don't like having to pay $10 bucks or so for "S&H" for a caps order of 10 or 15 that don't weigh 10 ounces. Sometimes that's just too bad (as with Mouser) so planning a big order is the smart thing to do........but that's not always a viable option, if you don't NEED anything else

Big again, at the risk of being redundant; my issue is the disparity, and the fact that the order through the Amazon store front will STILL REFLECT YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER as established through their main site.

That, in my opinion, is :bs:

But it is what it is.

(just try my suggestion; it'll save you considerably)

Thomas

SEAWOLF97
03-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Quite often there are just a few Items I need, go to check out and discover that it's going to cost me an arm and a leg just to ship the items. Then I just do without or try to locate them locally.

thats exactly what happened to me on JBLPro...ballcaps at a good price , then the shipping was more than the cap ...by 1.5 or 2x.

so I went without.

Mr. Widget
03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Then I just do without or try to locate them locally.Good for you!

We should all try to do this... using less and supporting our neighbors when we must have something.

Don't get me wrong, I think Parts Express is a good resource... I have given them quite a bit of money over the years, but there was a time when I could go to any one of a number of mom and pop electronics stores... it was really nice to actually see what I was buying before I paid for it.

As for the original topic of this post, I'll continue to use my local reconer. He uses genuine JBL parts, I don't have to pay shipping and I am supporting a local business. Win, win, win.

Widget

Wagner
03-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Good for you!

We should all try to do this... using less and supporting our neighbors when we must have something.

Don't get me wrong, I think Parts Express is a good resource... I have given them quite a bit of money over the years, but there was a time when I could go to any one of a number of mom and pop electronics stores... it was really nice to actually se what I was buying before I paid for it.

As for the original topic of this post, I'll continue to use my local reconer. He uses genuine JBL parts, I don't have to pay shipping and I am supporting a local business. Win, win, win.

Widget

I wish there were a local "mom and pop" option for me within a reasonable driving distance; I would prefer that HANDS DOWN.

Pacific Electronics in Concord: Worthless (used to be "OK" 15 years ago)

Electronic Pit Stop: Went out of business after the owner died. Spotty inventory and what was or wasn't available depended on who was working that day

Fry's of Concord: almost as bad but they do have some things. I play with tube stuff a bit and they have virtually ZERO of the values I would need for anything and no film type caps at all

Radio Shack: Well, it's Radio Shack

I guess what I'm saying is, the days of the Father and Son Heathkit projects are over :(

It appears to be all "mail order" from here on out; guess the Sears, Roebuck & Co. business model WAS a timeless one!

Thomas

robertbartsch
04-01-2010, 11:49 AM
If JBL is quietly dumping inventory it is news to me. I recenlty bought some new JBL diaphragms and the retail price has gone up at least 40% from one year ago levels.

I'm assuming vintage kit supplies will become scarse fairly soon - say less than 6 months or so from now. Obviously, that is a guess.

My JBL reconer is buying all the inventory he can get.

If anyone knows people at the factory, that would likley be a reliable source as to what kit inventory is truly left.

jbl
04-02-2010, 07:28 AM
I too believe that parts will become scarse in he near future so I bought a pair of D16R2425 diaphrams. Got 21% off list price

lgvenable
04-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm doing A 2245 recone of a great 2245 basket; here was what simply speakers quoted me:$ 224 seemed pretty fair, so away she goes!
Hello,
The full rebuild with factory parts is $224. We can also use aftermarket parts for $149. Either way, the 2245 will be like brand new.
Service takes 2 weeks.
Please visit the "shipping" section of our website for details on sending the units to us for repair. Be sure to fill out the shipping form on our website and include it with your speakers when sending them to us. We will contact you for billing information if required after your speakers arrive. We will also email you invoice and tracking information.
Regards,
Sean Ryan and the crew at Simply Speakers
Toll Free: 1-800-511-EDGE (3343)
Phone: 727-571-1245
Fax: 727-526-2096
Hours: 10am-6pm, EST, M-F

Simply Speakers
6625 35th Street
Pinellas Park, FL 33781

JeffW
04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
That's an awesome price since the current C8R2245H list price (http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Transducers%20Parts%20List/Transducer%20Parts%20List.pdf) is $270ea and prior to that (about 6 months) it was $245ea. They must get a really good price break from JBL.

4313B
04-03-2010, 06:01 PM
They must get a really good price break from JBL.Possibly stock from a few price lists past.

There's no price break bullshit with respect to JBL recone kits.

hmolwitz
04-08-2010, 06:39 PM
I recently listed a few items for sale on Amazon(a remarkably easy thing to do, but they must sell the item already) and you can select your sale price and they select the shipping cost.
If you have an Amazon account, log in, browse to an item and click the sell yours button, remarkably easy, no photos, no description, just set a price
I was a bit annoyed when I discovered my cost to ship was larger than they gave me, but it worked out about the same as Ebay as they do not dink you with the Paypal charges...
Probably not an option for selling 43XX monitors, but for the stuff they carry it is an option with lower mental overhead than Ebay.

Not really a business for me, just ridding myself of serviceable excess, I think of it as pre-wastestream recycling.

Harry

Paul D
04-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Anybody ever do a comparison between aftermarket and oem kits? I aways wondered how they compare in sound and craftsmanship (I'm sure they fall short). I imaging that more and more people are using them because of the shortage of oem parts.:banghead:

cooky1257
04-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Anybody ever do a comparison between aftermarket and oem kits? I aways wondered how they compare in sound and craftsmanship (I'm sure they fall short). I imaging that more and more people are using them because of the shortage of oem parts.:banghead:

I think you have just handed the forum a "Waffair thin mint......"