PDA

View Full Version : Best way to pack 077 tweeters?

jim3860
03-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Well im going to send off some 077 tweeters and I thought I would ask if there is a better way to do so then I have planned.

What I have planned is to place each in a zip lock bag or some other protective covering then wrap them in bubble wrap and place then in seperate boxes lined with hard blue foam top bottom and sides.

Any suggestions welcome :)

REGARDS JIM

toddalin
03-30-2010, 09:50 AM
When I pack for shipment, I use a layer of styrofoam on the bottom and top of the box. I take a third sheet and cut round holes the size of the magnets. Standoffs are used to position this above the bottom styrofoam and hold the tweets/speakers centered within the box.

The tweets are packed in plastic bags to keep stray foam out, placed in these styrofoam holes, and everything is surrounded with styrofoam peanuts/air bags to fill in the void spaces.

I've never had complaints.

robertbartsch
04-01-2010, 02:05 PM
I read on the Net that magnets can loose power if they are packed next to each other in a certain way but I asked Bill from Great Plains Audio and he said it is OK to put two or more drivers in the same package as long as they are properly packed.

Anyway, 077s are valuable and somewhat rare so take full precautions and insure them for a lot of dough. Personally, I would avoid the US Postal Service since I have had a ton of bad experiences with them.

Good luck with the shipping.

SMKSoundPro
04-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I would pack them idividually, also. You don't want them clanging together.

Woody Banks
04-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I believe that the tweeters should be shipped in a vertical position if possible. The recent repair that I went through could have been avoided if the seller had packed them properly and not shipped them on their sides. The prism could withstand much more ham handed, knuckle headed USPS handlers' abuse if it is not subjected to the shear forces created while on its side.

herki the cat
04-04-2010, 09:48 PM
When I pack for shipment, I use a layer of styrofoam on the bottom and top of the box. I take a third sheet and cut round holes the size of the magnets. Standoffs are used to position this above the bottom styrofoam and hold the tweets/speakers centered within the box.

The tweets are packed in plastic bags to keep stray foam out, placed in these styrofoam holes, and everything is surrounded with styrofoam peanuts/air bags to fill in the void spaces. I've never had complaints.

With due respect for all the fine posts in this thread, i have two cents to add regarding massive JBL Drivers. I have shipped several"Gorrila" 32 pound 2440's packed essentiallly as my host, toddalin;284326, recommends. Because of "King Kong's 32 pounds," i used two inch interior polystyrene foam on all six side of each box, one driver per box. Perfect results everytime.

jim3860
04-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Well this is how I have packed them, im pretty sure they should survive.
On the bottom of the box is a piece of 1/1/2 blue foam with a hole cut in a 1/2'' deep or so with a single layer of bubble wrap laid on the bottom of the box first, the tweeter magnent sits in the hole in the foam then foam on all sides then another sheet of foam with a hole cut in it that rests on the top of the tweeter. It is a very tight fit with no movement in the box.

Here are a couple of pics.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/feda2b9956.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d98443ebde.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

REGARDS JIM

jim3860
04-07-2010, 09:03 PM
There is a follow up on these tweeters.... What I did is take both packed up smaller boxes wrap them in bubble wrap and place them inside a larger foam lined larger box so they should make the trip :)

REGARDS JIM

farleybob
04-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Here's a follow up to the follow. They made it cross country with flying colors. That was a great job of packing. Thanks, Steve

jim3860
04-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Here's a follow up to the follow. They made it cross country with flying colors. That was a great job of packing. Thanks, SteveGlad to hear they arrived safely :)

REGARDS JIM