PDA

View Full Version : 116a L60T

smitty122
03-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi All,
I am the proud owner of a pair of L60T monitors. I am the original owner. I had new srrounds installed several years ago by Simply Speakers in Fla.
They did a great job. I have a new issue with the 116a driver. There is a spitty, buzz type sound on sustained low bass tones. I removed the drivers and checked them by operating in free air to eliminate any cab, mounting problems. Both drivers do this although one is more pronounced than the other. A tech at Simply Speakers was actually quite helpful, knew the driver well and felt that the Nomex former may be the culprit.

Any thoughts? 92.00 a piece to repair. Wondering the usually things such as replacement, repair or time to retire. They are otherwise in great shape. I love the loud speakers. I have a small project studio and they hold up just fine to modern high quality monitors that I use in the studio.

I appreciate any advise you might have including where else I might be posting within these forums. Thank you,

Charles

edgewound
03-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi All,
Any thoughts? 92.00 a piece to repair. Wondering the usually things such as replacement, repair or time to retire. They are otherwise in great shape. I love the loud speakers. I have a small project studio and they hold up just fine to modern high quality monitors that I use in the studio.

I appreciate any advise you might have including where else I might be posting within these forums. Thank you,

Charles

$92 each to repair won't even buy the factory recone kits, which at this point for studio use you should do if you're going to continue using these.
It must be a bandaid repair or aftermarket parts.

The price to recone with OEM C8R116A is $238.00 each parts and labor.
When they're done and done right with OEM parts, it's a new speaker again. I bet the spiders are well worn out and the voice coil might have some damage as well as the tinsel leads being stressed.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Wagner
03-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi All,
I am the proud owner of a pair of L60T monitors. I am the original owner. I had new srrounds installed several years ago by Simply Speakers in Fla.
They did a great job. I have a new issue with the 116a driver. There is a spitty, buzz type sound on sustained low bass tones. I removed the drivers and checked them by operating in free air to eliminate any cab, mounting problems. Both drivers do this although one is more pronounced than the other. A tech at Simply Speakers was actually quite helpful, knew the driver well and felt that the Nomex former may be the culprit.

Charles

Could be could be could..............
Could also be an area where not enough glue was used to attach the new surround and it's finally coming loose.............
Although if I understand you, it still buzzed in "free air"?
It could also be a poor alignment when re-edged, just not so poor that it was obvious at first..............and now it has scraped away enough copper to be noticeable..........
Could also be.............
See where I'm going; it's a losing game now. Try them on another amp; if the buzz is still there, that's it
If you like the speakers and are happy with them, contact forum member "edgewound" and have them professionally re-coned
I say "edgewound" based on what I have read and seen here
Good luck to you,

Thomas

Wagner
03-29-2010, 09:08 AM
$92 each to repair won't even buy the factory recone kits, which at this point for studio use you should do if you're going to continue using these.
It must be a bandaid repair or aftermarket parts.

The price to recone with OEM C8R116A is $238.00 each parts and labor.
When they're done and done right with OEM parts, it's a new speaker again. I bet the spiders are well worn out and the voice coil might have some damage as well as the tinsel leads being stressed.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Looks like he beat me to the punch............knew I should have taken that speed typing course! :)

Thomas

smitty122
03-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for your help. Yes, the 92.00 was not original replacement materials. They quoted me 190.00 each for OEM. I get the feeling from the posts they they may have originally helped create the problem but they have also had over 25 years of constant use. Has anyone used or know of a different driver which would work well and be appropriate for the crossover, existing tweeter and enclosure? Again thanks for your help. Looks like I may give Edgewound some business if I can't let them go!

Charles

hjames
03-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for your help. Yes, the 92.00 was not original replacement materials. They quoted me 190.00 each for OEM. I get the feeling from the posts they they may have originally helped create the problem but they have also had over 25 years of constant use. Has anyone used or know of a different driver which would work well and be appropriate for the crossover, existing tweeter and enclosure? Again thanks for your help. Looks like I may give Edgewound some business if I can't let them go!

Charles
I would really look for a pair of woofers or L60T speakers on ebay/Craigslist.
They are not that hard to come by - I had 2 pair a year or so back that took forever to sell! You may be able to buy another pair of them cheap, and make 1 good pair from the 2 pairs ...

Wagner
04-02-2010, 01:18 PM
They are not that hard to come by - I had 2 pair a year or so back that took forever to sell! You may be able to buy another pair of them cheap, and make 1 good pair from the 2 pairs ...

Then he'll still have (4) used woofers of unknown quantity and unseen condition, no?

If he really loves these speakers, I would think it wise to have "edgewound" or someone qualified and more importantly CAPABLE, bring them back up to specs and be done with it.

Especially now, considering the situation regarding the question parts availability, and costs, in the not so distant future.

Repair costs are only going to be going up. Now's the time to do what you're going to do with all those "some day" projects.

Meter's runnin' :(

Thomas

Wagner
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Charles

So is that 22-23 with JBL's surrounds + "several" years with Simply Speakers work?

That should tell you something. It's time to invest in some real maintenance.

I hope you get your boys back up and running. Don't give up on a box if you really enjoy what it does. Some people can never find that.

25 years of Pleasure?! That's not a bad return. I wouldn't hesitate to spend a little money now. (if I had any :o: )

Good luck,

Thomas

Wagner
04-02-2010, 01:36 PM

I agree with the suggestion though; now IS the time to hoard a little back up for the inevitable rainy day!

Thomas