PDA

View Full Version : 4312 Cabinet Help

dgorshe
03-23-2010, 08:34 PM
It seems like the back joint of one of my 4312's has become loose and started to make an annoying rattling sound whenever there is a low bass note.

I was wondering if any of you guys have run into this before. If so, how do i go about fixing it, short of destroying the veneer?

Thanks for your help

SMKSoundPro
03-23-2010, 10:03 PM
The cabinet has miter joints and when they become wet, they swell and tend to split apart. I have put gorilla polyureathane glue in the crack and clean up the over spew after it dries.

Also, get some glue on the end of your fingers and push it into the corner from the inside of the cabinet after taking the woofer out.

That's what I know.

Scotty.

dgorshe
03-24-2010, 07:26 AM
The separation of the wood isn't on a corner, it is in the middle of where the back panel meets the side panel.

But trying to go inside and get some wood glue in there is a good idea, Thanks

Any other suggestions guys?

Mannermusic
03-24-2010, 09:38 AM
[quote=dgorshe;283556]The separation of the wood isn't on a corner, it is in the middle of where the back panel meets the side panel.

But trying to go inside and get some wood glue in there is a good idea, Thanks

Any other suggestions guys?[/quote

How 'bout a simple (screw and glue) inner corner cleat the length of the back panel on both sides? 3/4" stock, cross-drilled? MM

SMKSoundPro
03-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Then my answer is the same.

If the cab is starting to swell apart or the joints are loose and cease to be airtight, then start filling the caulking the joints with a polyurethane glue that will expand as it cures. Wear some gloves and smear the stuff in as best as possible. Use clamps where necessary and scrape off the residual. Or, use masking tape on each side of the offending split open joint to keep from getting the urethane foam on everything, including the cat!, as it dries.

This is what I do in my woodshop. I don't too much about screws into these 4311/4312/L100 cabs as the "wood" seems so open that a screw won't have much bite, and are unsightly.

Good luck and tell us how it all works out!

Scotty.