PDA

View Full Version : L80t3 port extension/redirection

doyall
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Having read prior posts regarding extending the ports (along with increasing the interior damping material) of L80t's to achieve a more desirable LF response, I theorized that if the extension was done externally in the form of a 90 degree elbow (see picture) it could possible allow the speakers to be placed closer to a wall without any resulting port blockage. Might there be any validity to this approach?

BMWCCA
03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Might there be any validity to this approach?

You tell us! How does it sound?

doyall
03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
You tell us! How does it sound?

Personally, I can't tell any difference.

jcrobso
03-23-2010, 08:32 AM
I feel that it doesn't matter is the bend is on the outside.

BMWCCA
03-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Personally, I can't tell any difference.
Versus flat-up-against-the-wall? Or without the elbow? :dont-know

As an old 030 bass-reflex kind of guy, I can't imagine what is gained by putting the port on the back in the first place, other than limiting room placement.

doyall
03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Versus flat-up-against-the-wall? Or without the elbow? :dont-know

Either way really.

As an old 030 bass-reflex kind of guy, I can't imagine what is gained by putting the port on the back in the first place, other than limiting room placement.

As the port is on the rear, wouldn't placing the speaker against the wall serve to not allow proper venting thereby affecting the acoustics in some fashion? If so, will redirecting the sound waves somewhere other than the wall overcome this problem, if in fact it is one? I do not know. I ask since my room dictates placement close to the wall, which I realize is not the ideal location.

But then if I can't tell a difference, does it really matter? Probably not. Just shooting for technical optimization, irrespective of my perception.

hjames
03-24-2010, 02:51 AM
Either way really.

As the port is on the rear, wouldn't placing the speaker against the wall serve to not allow proper venting thereby affecting the acoustics in some fashion? If so, will redirecting the sound waves somewhere other than the wall overcome this problem, if in fact it is one? I do not know. I ask since my room dictates placement close to the wall, which I realize is not the ideal location.

But then if I can't tell a difference, does it really matter? Probably not. Just shooting for technical optimization, irrespective of my perception.

Well, that design bothered me on my L60Ts I had, so I moved the port to the front!
After that, placement wasn't an issue anymore!

I have some L20T speakers, so I matched the front port placement to their configuration.

The wood chunk that came out of the front glued in just-right to the old hole in the back, once I removed the port tube ...
I think the holesaw came from Home Despot ...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=36644&stc=1&d=1232425087

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=36645&stc=1&d=1232425102

BMWCCA
03-24-2010, 07:46 PM
I think the holesaw came from Home Despot ...

Was it over near the Moyen Goop display?