PDA

View Full Version : Altec 416-8b

tesla
07-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Hello;

I have this model, and have gotten many conflicting views on the suitability of this speaker for home use. I would like to use it as a sub with my L65's. Anyone have any opinion? Any plans floating around out there?

4313B
07-16-2004, 07:21 AM
The Library has some stuff. I think the 1974 catalog has something on the 416-8b

Altec Plans (http://lansingheritage.org/html/altec/plans/altec-plans.htm)

GordonW
07-16-2004, 09:15 PM
The 416-8B would definitely not be my first choice for a subwoofer.

Basically, there are two potential problems:

1) Even in a large box with a passive radiator (8 cubic feet!), it still only gets into the mid 30s. The L65 goes that low, already.

2) With the Xmax being less than 4mm, there's not much VLF displacement capacity. The Xmax of a JBL 2235 is TWICE that!! So, EQ'ing the woofer to go lower, would probably only result in distortion, unfortunately.

If I had a 416-8B, I'd probably be looking to trade it to someone, for something like a JBL 2235 or its ilk, if I wanted to build a subwoofer. At least then, you have a driver designed to work that way...

Regards,
Gordon.

Roy Boltz
07-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Hey Tesla, check your private messages.

Mr. Widget
07-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by tesla
Hello;

I have this model, and have gotten many conflicting views on the suitability of this speaker for home use. I would like to use it as a sub with my L65's. Anyone have any opinion? Any plans floating around out there?

The 416-8b is fine for home use. It is certainly not suitable as a subwoofer. It was designed for reproduction of 40Hz up at high SPLs. I would sell, trade or keep it for another application.

How much sub-woofing do you need/want and how big is your room? In a small room the woofers in your L65s can be equalized to perform pretty well in the very deep region or you could add a single 2235H. You might look at one of the LE14 derivations they work well in small rooms at moderate SPLs. In a larger room I would look at the 2245H or multiples of 2235Hs. For an average sized living room I would think a single 2245H or equalized 2242H would be your best bet from the current JBL collection. If you can find them I would highly recommend the JBL SUB1500. One will blow you away in a small room, a pair will amaze you in a pretty large room. I use a pair in my 27' by 25' by 10' room and they will stun you. They are significantly better as sub woofers compared to the 4 2235Hs I had previously been running.

Widget