PDA

View Full Version : Need help with phase alignment

djnagle
03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi All, in my last couple of speaker configurations, I was able to align the diaphragms of the woof, mid, and tweet. With the current speakers, the midhorn diaphragm sits way back from the plane of the woof and tweet. What can I do? I normally use a pro active crossover, but am building a active tube crossover and it does not have the time alignment feature. Is time alignment that important for home use? How do I address this issues. Thanks in advance.

Robh3606
03-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Is time alignment that important for home use? How do I address this issues. Thanks in advance.

Why don't you just turn off the delays in the Pro crossover and have a listen?? Few if any home loudspeakers are really time aligned. When they are you need to be in the "window". None of the classic larger monitors are except for the Uries. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Rob:)

djnagle
03-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Well, that is a good idea Rob. I'll do that first thing tomorrow. Thanks.

Robh3606
03-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Did you get a chance to try it without the delays??

djnagle
03-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi Rob, no I ended up going to a party that lasted all day and just laid about today....my head is kind of fuzzy.

Progneta
03-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Here is a shot I took after a long night of tweaking regarding time align and stereo seperation. If you notice the brown speaker cabinet (802 on 811b and altec 414 woofer...sounds amazing) the driver is about 4 inches behind the woofer. I aligned the woofer and hf driver and the difference was extremely hard to determine! Based on my discovery for convenience I left on top the horn loaded as you see... Time aligning I find to be more effective for duplexes/coaxes.

-G

1audiohack
03-21-2010, 07:35 PM
I aligned the woofer and hf driver and the difference was extremely hard to determine!

What method are you using to measure alignment / missalignment?

Robh3606
03-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi Rob, no I ended up going to a party that lasted all day and just laid about today....my head is kind of fuzzy.

Sounds like fun.

djnagle
03-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Well, dang, I am hard pressed to hear any difference. And, I think most of that is because I know which-which I am listening too.

Robh3606
03-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I am hard pressed to hear any difference.

I think that may have answered your question.

And, I think most of that is because I know which-which I am listening too.

Should that be witch-witch because sometimes it sure feels that way.