PDA

View Full Version : Mounting adaptor on 2426H

DavidF
03-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I just received a pair of these and have good reason to think that they are new-in-box condition. I know the 1 3/8 adaptor screws on and off but I am not getting them to budge on either unit. There appears to be a gasket in place. Tried warming the adaptor to expand the metal and/or loosen the gasket material but no change.

Similar experience with anyone and ideas to get these separated?

Thanks...

Earl K
03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi David,

I've encountered this ( struggle ) quite a few times .

The problem is caused by the fact that JBL used a thin foam gasket between the driver body proper & the removeable snout .
- Of course the foam deteriorates over time and turns into a gloopy glue-like mess .

I was able to get mine to turn using a large pipe wrench ( gripping the snout ) . I may have even used ( on one or two really stubborn drivers ) a second pipe-wrench gripping the rubber tire of the body / but I do forget now since these "troubles" are over a decade old now .

>< cheers :)

subwoof
03-13-2010, 02:37 PM
bolt the driver to a large piece of plywood using all 3 bolts.

using a large leather belt and a broomstick, wrap it around the rubber protector and apply leverage and it will come apart. Or if you have one handy, an oil filter wrench with a long handle

JBL in their infinite wisdom also used a spot of cement on some of these and it can be quite difficult.

sub

DavidF
03-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks, Earl and Sub. I a little friendly persuasion, after all.