PDA

View Full Version : Source for gaskets?

AmericanPie
03-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi Folks,

Last fall I acquired a nice pair of L96 cabinets and am gradually gathering the drivers (off Ebay, CL) I need to complete them. Since I'd never seen one apart I hadn't realized that the 044s and LE10H-1s require "0-ring" type gaskets before mounting them in the cabs. Does anybody still make these, and if so where is the best source? Also, does the LE5-12 require some type of gasket as well? Thanks!

Larry

Allanvh5150
03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi Folks,

Last fall I acquired a nice pair of L96 cabinets and am gradually gathering the drivers (off Ebay, CL) I need to complete them. Since I'd never seen one apart I hadn't realized that the 044s and LE10H-1s require "0-ring" type gaskets before mounting them in the cabs. Does anybody still make these, and if so where is the best source? Also, does the LE5-12 require some type of gasket as well? Thanks!

Larry

Go to your local o-ring/gasket supplier and get some continuous o-ring material of the right diameter, cut it to length and super glue the ends together. Too simple.

Allan.

Wagner
03-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Folks,

Larry

Boil them, like spaghetti, for 10 or 15 minutes.

They will regain their profile and suppleness, even the ones that are completely flat from the 044s, good as new. If not? Boil 'em some more.

Any glue or paint residue can be removed by simply rubbing between your fingers like you would to remove dried silicone sealer.

Of course, this only helps if you have the old rings! :)

Thomas

Wagner
03-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Go to your local o-ring/gasket supplier and get some continuous o-ring material of the right diameter, cut it to length and super glue the ends together. Too simple.

Allan.

The "noodle rings" used by JBL are hollow. Standard O-ring material is solid and won't compress as well to provide the proper seal without the risk of over-torquing.

Thomas

Thomas

Allanvh5150
03-13-2010, 07:47 PM
The "noodle rings" used by JBL are hollow. Standard O-ring material is solid and won't compress as well to provide the proper seal without the risk of over-torquing.

Thomas

Thomas

There are dozens of different grades available and if it isnt soft enough for you yau can always go to neoprene. It is not like anyone is going to see it.

Wagner
03-13-2010, 08:21 PM
There are dozens of different grades available and if it isnt soft enough for you yau can always go to neoprene. It is not like anyone is going to see it.

I like that, my local "gasket supplier"
That's the same guy that carries all the different gauge and profiles HEYCO strain reliefs, right?
Right, right down at the corner hardware store..............
Car trip, money, time and super glue is all it takes...........
OR, you can just boil them and have the right gasket (and never leave the house).

To each his own :)

Thomas