PDA

View Full Version : Amps Recommendation for JBL 4350

ngccglp
03-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi all,

I was thinking of using 2 units of Crown D75 to bi amp the 4350. Will this be a good combination? Looking forward to hear from 4350 users and your current setup. I am quite keen to go the pro amps route.

Thanks

BMWCCA
03-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I can't imagine the lovely D75 would provide enough power, especially for the low-end, but I'll defer to actual 4350 owners on that.

I'm using D150A-II in stereo for the top-end of my 4345s and one DC300A-II for the bottom. I'll be switching to a PS-200 and PS-400 as soon as I get around to disrupting the living room, again. I like the more modern versions for their turn-on delay.

ngccglp
03-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Anybody has any experience with the new pro amps from Yamaha? I did a search and nothing much pops up.

jerry_rig
03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Anybody has any experience with the new pro amps from Yamaha? I did a search and nothing much pops up.

I would avoid most pro amps for that (or any home) speaker. They typically use somewhat noisy fans and tend to be optimized for balanced operation.

The D75 may work on the high end of your bi-amp setup. But I am sure many would say that the 4350 deserves a nice tube amplifier, perhaps an older McIntosh. You want something as clean as possible -- and I am assuming you are using a nice preamp. For the bottom, I would recommend a good (new or used) high-end solid state amp rated at 250 watts per channel or higher. That should sound terrific!

rgrjit8
03-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I can't imagine anything less than 200wpc on the bottom end. The D-75 might be okay on the top end, but frankly I'd look for more power there too, unless you want to try tubes.

As things stand now you're using a thoroughbred to give pony rides.

How and what you listen to is a factor too. Though I have 150wpc on top and 300 on the bottom I rarely get the meters to flicker. It's nice to have the headroom AND the ability to blow the smirks off the faces of JBL doubters and skeptics.

CountD
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Get a McIntosh MC2300. Make sure you get the later model with the temp. sensor for the fans. They are very heavy, but most put out more than 400 watts per channel. I love this amp - though not the cleanest, it would work well. A MC2500 is also very nice, and not much more in price.

ngccglp
03-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi Count D,

I agree with your comments on the Macs, used to own the silver face 2500 then traded in for the later black face version. They are very powerful and could control the woofers of my previous 4343Bs very well indeed. However, I noticed all Macs lacks that attack in the bass, I don't quite know how else to describe it, when compared to a krell for instance, the krell makes the bass sounds faster and tighter.

I have another query, wonder if anyone has driven 4350/4355 passively before i.e. to make a passive 250Hz crossover. I reckon if I do not play very loud, the distortion associated with this setup should not be too evident. Is this recommended?

Thanks

1audiohack
03-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Do you, or someone you know have a real ocilloscope? If you read the peak voltage delivered to them played as loud as you would ever listen to them with demanding material you can do the math and know how much power you really need.

I have a D-45 running 2344's and 2404's, and a D-75A running 2123's and never come close to running short. Running your 2202's, 2240's and 2405's might exhaust a D-75. They can be bridged however.

If you run them hard you will need more on the bottom for sure.