PDA

View Full Version : 4310 Prototypes Revisited

CountD
03-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Just got back from a long trip up to Lake Tahoe to retrieve the 4310 prototypes (the C. Robert Fine JBL Monitors) that I purchased. I was able to interview the owner for more than 2 hours about the recording industry in the 1960s. The speakers are the real deal and include handwritten notes about their construction by what was an in-the-works JBL Pro division. The owner reminisced about talking to and ordering them from Ed May himself. Pretty awesome.

By looking at them they seem to be a real piece of JBL history that most people don't seem to know about until they showed up on that auction site. I have not had time to do much but will post more info and pictures as it is a great link to the 4310-L100-4311.

hjames
03-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Just got back from ... retrieve the 4310 prototypes (the C. Robert Fine JBL Monitors) that I purchased.
The speakers are the real deal and include handwritten notes about their construction by what was an in-the-works JBL Pro division. The owner reminisced about talking to and ordering them from Ed May himself. Pretty awesome.

Very very cool - thank you for sharing all of this!

scott fitlin
03-05-2010, 03:39 AM
Great find. thanks for sharing, and YES post pics, even scans of the notes.

:thmbsup:

CountD
03-05-2010, 05:49 PM
After looking through the notes on the back they are models C533WX - as I know now they are Model C533 with a walnut enclosure. Now that I know that they are C533's - which seems to make them the Robert Fine Monitor, does anyone know anything else about these other than the crossover schematic? Does anyone else own a pair? They obviously seem to be made to Robert Fines specs and sold to other people that had access. Thanks.