PDA

View Full Version : JBL crossovers

pathfindermwd
03-03-2010, 01:38 PM
hi all. I own a pair of CF100's, and I just got a pair of L100T's. I havnt been able to crank the 100's yet because they need refoamed, and I took them apart to put a new finish on them. I have been playing around with improving the CF's sound and connected them to the 100's crossover. They sound awsome! Where could I find a replacement crossover that would give me the same great sound when the 100's get put back together and want their crossover's back? Does anyone make a diy kit?

Thanks-

pathfindermwd
03-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Thought I would post some pics of the speaker refinish I mentioned just for fun. Originally the speakers were a light oak. Years ago I was involved in refinishing some Mahogany doors which were had the unusual spec of being dyed purple, then stained. I always loved the way they came out. Of course the wood was actual mahogony in comparison, but what the heck! Besides, I like dark finishes and have alot of mahogony and espresso furniture to go with it. You can see some of that purple color coming through from the flash in 0466, though unless in direct sunlight it's not so readily apparent which I find somewhat disappointing! I could have lived with a little less darkness and should have tested a lighter stain which would have revealed more of the dye. There's not much information on the internet about this process so I am listing the recipe for googlesterity.

Purplish Blue (Water-Based) Aniline Dye 1 oz = 1 qt - Woodworkers Supply
Red Mahogany Woof Finish Stain - Minwax
1 qt satin laquer (sprayed - conventional)

and of course in 0473 you can see me stealing crossover sound from the L100T to little brother CF100.

My experience playing with crossovers to the CF100 (this is the second time) lead me to believe that crossovers play as much role in sound as driver selection. The CF 100 has good drivers compared to alot of speakers, and the L100t's crossover makes them very vibrant and well mannered. I can only assume that the lack of a good crossover in the CF100 is due to cost because with the better crossover it sounds worlds better.

pathfindermwd
03-04-2010, 10:22 AM
:barf:

pathfindermwd
03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Lol, I need to dust I know!

Mr. Widget
03-04-2010, 10:44 AM
I am a little confused... do you want to clone the L100T crossovers to use instead of the stock 100CF crossovers?

Widget

pathfindermwd
03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I am a little confused... do you want to clone the L100T crossovers to use instead of the stock 100CF crossovers?

Widget

Yes!:D The sound of the CF100 with the L100T crossover is similar to the L100T itself.