PDA

View Full Version : citation 19 and nakamichi stasis. how to configure the system

LuckyST
03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I have a nakamichi p5, and harman/kardon citation amps. Both have 2x100w outputs.

I have the JBL l110 hooked to the H/C and infinity 5" bookshelf speakers on nakamichi.

I'm afraid that the Infinitys are playing just a little bit louder than the JBL's.
Is it possible, and how does one "sort" it out?

What method of hookup do you suggest?

louped garouv
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
have you verified this via measurement?

i know when playing them at low levels,
my A7s (515B woofer) were out "bumped" by a pair of Bozak M80 bookshelf speakers.... at least in my perception

the Bozaks couldn't keep up with the peak output of the Altecs though... no way, no how...

scott fitlin
03-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah, but do both amps have the same input sensitivity? You can use the amplifiers input level controls to balance levels between the two sets of speakers.

Two different amps, and two different sets of speakers. Different everything, of course neither sound the same.

LuckyST
03-03-2010, 06:50 AM
here are input sensitivities
Nakamichi (PA 5E) - 1.4V
HarmanKardon (Citation 19) - 1.5V

how do I adjust the input sensitivity?
There dont have any diles that I know of.

scott fitlin
03-03-2010, 07:42 AM
here are input sensitivities
Nakamichi (PA 5E) - 1.4V
HarmanKardon (Citation 19) - 1.5V

how do I adjust the input sensitivity?
There dont have any diles that I know of.Then you can't, but 1/10th of a volt difference is negligible. What your hearing is the difference in sensitivities of the two speaker systems.

Could you, if at all possible, get another one of the same amp, and drive both speaker systems with the same type of amp?

Many times, two different brands of amps that are rated to produce equal power output, sound vastly different in tone, and level. Two amps, same brand and model will help, but will not completely solve the issue. Also, switch the amps from the speakers they are driving now, to the other speakers, see what happens. If the loudness changes to the JBL with the amp the Infinity sounds louder, then you know it is an amplifier issue, you will know what to do next.

2 of the same amps, and two sets of the same speakers is the true answer. BTW, which speaker sounds better to you, tonally? You already said the Infinity sounds louder, but, does it sound better?

This is the problem with "MIX and MATCH! You can mix, but won't necessarily match.