PDA

View Full Version : Altec 19 Vs Jbl 4435

rvito
02-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Hello all. Was curious on folks opinion on which of the 2 they would prefer. Pros and cons of both. ( I own a pr of 4435s)

lansingfan
02-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Hello all. Was curious on folks opinion on which of the 2 they would prefer. Pros and cons of both. ( I own a pr of 4435s)

but, I would trade UP in a heart beat for the 4435's. Especially, looking like these.

Duffinator
02-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Wouldn't the 4430 be more of a direct comparison with the M19?

rvito
02-28-2010, 09:33 AM
but, I would trade UP in a heart beat for the 4435's. Especially, looking like these.

Seen those on fleapay, Went for a really good price

dkalsi
03-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Seen those on fleapay, Went for a really good price

I was watching those when they were listed - I still remember they sold for $1,500

MikeM
03-02-2010, 10:35 PM
There is nothing wrong with altec#19's. I actually chose the Altec #19 over the Jbl-L300 side by side comparison when these were new in the 1970's.
Altec sounded much more natural, but then again I was smoking lots of pot, so who knows.
I have had the 4350, L300 4430 ect.
I can say you cannot go wrong with the 4435 or the #19. The altec may be a bit more forgiving..:barf:

robertbartsch
03-03-2010, 11:50 PM
I prefer the Altec 19s too. The efficency and dynamic range are much high IMO.

Steve
03-06-2010, 12:52 AM
I have both of them, Model 19's and the JBL 4435's.
Thank you Jim Lansing.
Just picked up the 19's about 3 months ago. I haven't been able to compare them side by side as they are in different states. I am currently taking care of my 93 year old mother and the 19's are here in the SF bay area. The 4435's are at my home.
The 19's are in great shape, all original and only driven by Mac tube equipment. I need to clean the x-overs and send in the drivers to be checked, remagnetized etc. The 4435's have 4 new woofers. They were in a studio and not taken care of too well and had 2 different woofers in each cab. Not one of them was the correct woofer. The horns and drivers are original.
I am partial to Altec's, probably because it was what I grew up remembering what was in the venues when I was listening and performing.
I really like both the 19's and 4435's. The 4435's are more crisp and clear at the high end. l like the midrange of the 19's better and the 19's just sound smoother. Almost like the 19's feel like I am being drawn into the music experience instead of just listening.
To me, it is like I experience more of the soul of the music with the 19's.
Someone in the forum long ago told a story of a neighbor kid wanting to listen to his speaker system he heard so much about. From what I remember, when he got done listening to the set up, he said that his dad's system sounds more accurate or better, but his system, he feels the music and is part of the music. I hope I did justice to the story. It has been a long time since I read it.
To me the Model 19's, and some other Altecs do that when I am listening to them. The 4435's just don't do that to me, however, they are very nice to listen to and are a respectable pair of speakers. When I have the 4435's playing and people come in the house to see my son or do some recording in his studio years ago, most would listen a bit and say something like those sound real nice or hi uncle...
When I had the Altec's playing that I have at my home then, the people would start to say something and then just stop talking and turn to look at the speakers just standing there until they had collected their thoughts again to say something. Distraction from the music.
Of course it could all just them just picking up on my fun.
I love horns, in speakers, live music etc. The sound is just different somehow. Listening to live performances of Tower of Power horns, the power and sound of the bugles in a drum and bugle corp. Now we are talking.
Yes there are flaws in both the 19 and 4435.
Could I choose between an Altec Model 19 and JBL 4435's. For me it would be the 19's. Somehow the M19's inspire more emotion or feeling of and with the music. Very subjective of course and mileage may differ along with listening room dynamics, equipment used and beverage of choice intake.
What ever the speakers or audio set up that is being listened to, have fun.
Any set up that brings joy and pride is great and where it is at, or at least until the next sweet deal comes along.

Aloha Steve