PDA

View Full Version : Just got a pair of L-200's

Hibuckhobby
02-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Currently in my den...although that's clearly not a large enough space for them. Still trying to find best setting on the HF pad adjustment. Good impact although a bit 'in your face' when seated 6' away.
Hibuck...

hjames
02-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Currently in my den...although that's clearly not a large enough space for them. Still trying to find best setting on the HF pad adjustment. Good impact although a bit 'in your face' when seated 6' away.
Hibuck...

Cool, congrats - fun speakers!
Been playing with mine for a few years - bumped them to 3ways and love 'em to death now!

JBL 4645
02-27-2010, 01:38 AM
welcome to LHF Hibuckhobby

Use a simple two means SPL db metre with pink noise continuous playing and adjust each HF L-pad for equal level, but it goes further than that!

A simple RTA will also see the level of frequency one side might be a bit shy in frequency the other side might have too much and a tiny little EQ to adjust one or the other so that they roughly play at equal level.

I would aim for less harsh brightness on the high frequency, thou a lot depends on how your hearing range is? I guess you still have reasonable top end hearing so aim so the louder highs are a bit softer in level. Quiet sounds well that depends on the rooms’ background noise level?

Enjoy the sound of the L-200.:)

Hibuckhobby
02-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the welcome! The system in my den is my "vintage" system and while it doesn't do all the audiophile things my "big rig" in the AV room does, it is very enjoyable. I may take them down into the bigger room to get some distance between me and them. I'm "assuming" that they need to be up against the rear wall for bass reinforcement? One of my tone adjustment pads makes a far larger change in the sound than the one on the other speaker...so right now I'm running them 'flat' because that's the way they sound the most similar. Am looking into an EQ.
regards,
Hibuck...

hjames
02-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the welcome! The system in my den is my "vintage" system and while it doesn't do all the audiophile things my "big rig" in the AV room does, it is very enjoyable. I may take them down into the bigger room to get some distance between me and them. I'm "assuming" that they need to be up against the rear wall for bass reinforcement? One of my tone adjustment pads makes a far larger change in the sound than the one on the other speaker...so right now I'm running them 'flat' because that's the way they sound the most similar. Am looking into an EQ.
regards,
Hibuck...

Well, I swapped my LE-15s out for a pair of 2234s - but although I used to have them backs toward my bookshelves, they play with good bass in the center of the room now ... standing away from the walls. Perhaps the improvement is from building new crossovers - with the added slot tweeter they're the equivalent of 4333 (with short horns), before I put the walnut horns on top.

But the cabinets and grills are really cool!:applaud:

JBL 4645
03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
regards,
Hibuck...

Too close to the wall and you’ll excite the lower end of the frequency spectrum with nasty boom like sound! A bit away from the wall and sidewall should give smooth response. But you need an RTA to see this otherwise you’d be chasing you’re tail around and around if you see what I mean.