PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4345 with DBX223XL x/over ???

tjnif
02-25-2010, 05:38 AM
As in my other thread I used a Mcintosh MC352 amp with STELLAR results, compared with running my 2 MC2000 tube amps in mono configuration. My questions are: Is it possible to to keep the internal x/over "on" and use the DBX unit for removing the low frequency from the full range signal?? The tube amps would be run with the DBXxover, the 352 running the woofs passively using internal xover, correct?? or not?

Thus being,the tube amps running the mid/hi's , MC352 running the woof's, so as i (think) understand it the tube amps will not "recognize" the xover in the speaker, right?. Also, what would be a god xover point?? I would imagine it would be set below the speakers normal woofer to mid/hi xover point?? Am I right with this??? Please advise........ Thanks!

Mr. Widget
02-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Also, what would be a god xover point?? I would imagine it would be set below the speakers normal woofer to mid/hi xover point?? Am I right with this??? Please advise........ Thanks!

Here is a thread that discusses this topic...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11572

There are many other threads discussing the use of active crossovers. If you are going to use many thousands of dollars of amplification, I'd suggest you consider only the better crossovers... a Bryston, Marchand, Pass Labs... maybe that new one from Mac, but it is a DSP, and I'll be really surprised if they get it right.

The bottom line is, going active is not simple, but even a monkey can do it. It is just that a monkey will most likely not get it right. That said, if you really want to go this route, be aware that inserting poor electronics in the chain will lessen the over all sound and even using top drawer gear you could be going backwards, if you don't get it right.

Widget

tjnif
02-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Well, sent the info to the "higher ups" at mcintosh......they are confident and will even send one of their "own" up with Ryan (from audioclassics) to my house and help set up the MEN220 w/ my modded Khorns and my AWESOME JBL 4345's!!! Boy.....am I special or what!!!:applaud: I will post pics and update, probably aweek or so from now (Ihope)....

Mr. Widget
02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
I will post pics and update, probably aweek or so from now (Ihope)....Cool, thanks. I'll be interested in your opinion after you have lived with it for a while. It isn't unusual that a new toy inserted in the mix will bring a big smile to your face... how you feel weeks or months down the road will be more telling.

Well, sent the info to the "higher ups" at mcintosh......they are confident and will even send one of their "own" up with Ryan (from audioclassics)...That is very good... setting up a crossover and DSP are not really trivial. I hope he brings along some quality test gear too.

If you could get their engineering dept. to post some technical info on the MEN220 that would be fantastic... all that seems to be available on line is some non technical sales brochure type info. I'd love to know how they are getting into and out of the digital domain and what type of DSPs they are using, bit rates etc....

http://www.scowcroftandassociates.com/pdfs/MEN220%20New%20Product%20Announcement.pdf

Widget

tjnif
02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
I will let you know when all is said and done....

grumpy
02-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Might have a look here for hints about what's under the hood:

http://www.lyngdorf.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=45

Lyngdorf implementation of their in-house product using this processing
engine:

"The D/A converter section (also used in the Millennium) is used to drive a high quality, single ended and balanced output stage. The D/A converter is built around the fine Wolfson WM8740 - which in combination with our balanced design results in outstanding sonic qualities."

boputnam
02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
...I'd suggest you consider only the better crossovers... a Bryston, Marchand, Pass Labs...

The bottom line is, going active is not simple... (and) ...if you really want to go this route, be aware that inserting poor electronics in the chain will lessen the over all sound and even using top drawer gear you could be going backwards, if you don't get it right.+1

That is very good... setting up a crossover and DSP are not really trivial. I hope he brings along some quality test gear too. (+1) + (+1) = +2

I had Bryston custom an analogue crossover for me, to specific specs. On arrival it was tested before insertion, and both it, and the results, were spot-on. My "set-up" has never sounded better.

dkalsi
02-26-2010, 11:22 AM
It isn't unusual that a new toy inserted in the mix will bring a big smile to your face... how you feel weeks or months down the road will be more telling.[/url]

Widget

+1

Chas
02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
It isn't unusual that a new toy inserted in the mix will bring a big smile to your face... how you feel weeks or months down the road will be more telling.

Kinda reminds me of a few GF's I've had....:):):bouncy: