PDA

View Full Version : jbl L150 or JBL L7

Watchamacallit
02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Hello , I'm new here , and I'm looking at these 2 speakers for about the same price .
The L150 are recently re-foamed and in great shape , there is'nt much info on the web about the L150 as there is about the L100 .They look similar ,apart from the passive radiator .
I know finding someone with experience with both speakers is a long shot , just looking for some opinions since its a 2 hour drive , 4 hours total . So i guess my question is wich would you choose and why? thx

JBLAddict
02-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Hello , I'm new here , and I'm looking at these 2 speakers for about the same price .
The L150 are recently re-foamed and in great shape , there is'nt much info on the web about the L150 as there is about the L100 .They look similar ,apart from the passive radiator .
I know finding someone with experience with both speakers is a long shot , just looking for some opinions since its a 2 hour drive , 4 hours total . So i guess my question is wich would you choose and why? thx

there should be no longshot finding that experience here. you can find all you want to read on the L7 in the "JBL L Series (1990s) thread" on the first page of this General Information area

there's also a ton of L150 information if you do a search, they are very different speakers with very different design philosophies, from different eras with the L150 being a bit older. I only own the L7 but will bet that few who've heard both would recommend the L150 over the L7

Allanvh5150
02-20-2010, 08:12 PM
L150, no competition!

Titanium Dome
02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
The L150 is a nice example of a well-regarded three-way model that is outdated, using old drivers (at least three decades old) and technology in a still aesthetically attractive container.

The L7 is a great example of an under-appreciated four-way model that is much newer and up-to-date than the L150, but far from being current. It uses newer and better (but dated by at least a decade) drivers and much better technology in a less aesthetically well-regarded but superior container.

I have passed on every L150 that I've had the chance to purchase, even at some amazingly low prices, while I've purchased far more L7s than I will ever need, even to the point that I had to give some to my son and sell some to make room for other JBLs I had to have.

The L150 has never fallen into the had to have category for me.

Audiobeer
02-20-2010, 09:09 PM
It's all subjective but from a sound stand point "I" would jump on the L-7 in a heartbeat dollar for dollar. I have owned them both.

Watchamacallit
02-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks For the replies .

I have been doing some reading in the JBL L thread . Allot of talk about the L7's and the importance of placement ,my front wall is 14 feet wide, I can put the speakers 8 feet apart leaving them 3 feet from side wall should be ok yes ?

I am aware that the L150 are old or ''outdated'' , but my speakers in the living room are some Klipsch Cornwall's from 1974 , they are outdated and far from being ''the perfect speaker'' but i enjoy them allot , maybe the reason why I am open do the idea of buying some old speakers .

One quality i look for in speakers is good mid-range detail and presence , which speaker, would you say has an advantage in this area ?

Btw am I allowed to use the ''K'' word on this forum :o:

BMWCCA
02-20-2010, 10:21 PM
L150A is the way to go in the L150 versions. A wonderful speaker I could only aspire to in the '80s. I never knew about the L7 until the big thread here. Now I own two pair.

To decide between an L150 and an L7? L7.

To decide between an L150A and an L7? Buy both.

:applaud:

Doc Mark
02-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Hey, Watchamacallit,

I've never heard either speaker, but have heard good things about both. I might lean towards the L7's, as you already have a nice pair of vintage speaks in the Cornwalls. But, hey, you may well like the L150's, too. By the way, now that you've mentioned the "K" word, you must say 5 "James Lansings", and 8 "Forty-three-forty-fives", and you will be absolved of your sins!! ;);):D Have fun with your decision, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. I really think that I should seek out a nice pair of L7's, just to see how Sweet Bride and I like them. If the price was right, it would be fun to compare them to our L300's. :bouncy::bouncy::D

JBLAddict
02-20-2010, 10:51 PM
as much as I love the L7, if there's one thing about it that has had me considering another speaker with a Ti mid-range/tweeter combo, it is the acclaimed improvement in midrange detail, which I also prize over bass elements. I still think the LE5-2 midrange on my 1975 L100 is better that that on the L7, even though as a studio monitor it's designed to have a very forward mid, I still think it has better air and detail, I don't know if the voicing on the LE5-10 on the L150 carries that presentation?

scott fitlin
02-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks For the replies .

I have been doing some reading in the JBL L thread . Allot of talk about the L7's and the importance of placement ,my front wall is 14 feet wide, I can put the speakers 8 feet apart leaving them 3 feet from side wall should be ok yes ?

I am aware that the L150 are old or ''outdated'' , but my speakers in the living room are some Klipsch Cornwall's from 1974 , they are outdated and far from being ''the perfect speaker'' but i enjoy them allot , maybe the reason why I am open do the idea of buying some old speakers .

One quality i look for in speakers is good mid-range detail and presence , which speaker, would you say has an advantage in this area ?

Btw am I allowed to use the ''K'' word on this forum :o:YES you are allowed to use the K word on this forum! :rotfl:

If you could, listening to both would be the best way to really know what is the "RIGHT" choice for you.

JBLAddict
02-20-2010, 11:01 PM
P.S. I really think that I should seek out a nice pair of L7's, just to see how Sweet Bride and I like them. If the price was right, it would be fun to compare them to our L300's. :bouncy::bouncy::D

Doc, I wish you would, seeing they can be had for $200 with patience-- having another comparison to the iconic L300 is always of tremendous interest here, seeing how much attention the L7/4333 shootout received

Doc Mark
02-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Morning, JBLAddict,

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a nice pair of L7's, here in So. Cal. If they can be had for $200, I'd certainly buy a pair, as long as they were not too beat, and everything functioned. I got my nice 4411's for that same price, though I did have to have Edgewound refoam the woofers. In any case, I'll see about a pair of L7's, and maybe they will come to hand. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

JBLAddict
02-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Hey Doc, the rubber surrounds on the Lseries are basically immune to disintegration, so most pairs, if anything, the concern is the cabinet condition. I've seen many many pairs in the OC/LA CL listings over the past couple years, though I must admit usually >$400....it seems the cases where someone is offloading them at bargain basement prices out of ignorance occurs outside our area:) eg BMW's finding multiple L5/L7 sets <$200 w/in driving distance, can't think of a single pair in SoCal I've seen in that range.

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey Doc, the rubber surrounds on the Lseries are basically immune to disintegration, so most pairs, if anything, the concern is the cabinet condition.

which rubber surrounds are you referring to ?? My L7's have standard foam on the LF driver.

Paid $100 for my pair, which is a little below market....they are hidden in the back of the HT where I dont have to see them ....they are OK, a little better than my old L-166's

If I had better woodworking skills...they'd be chopped up like that beautiful 2 box solution

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=175109

I still think the LE5-2 midrange on my 1975 L100 is better that that on the L7, even though as a studio monitor it's designed to have a very forward mid, I still think it has better air and detail, I don't know if the voicing on the LE5-10 on the L150 carries that presentation?

Am I reading this correctly ? L1:):) is a studio monitor ?

pos
02-21-2010, 10:10 AM
If I had better woodworking skills...they'd be chopped up like that beautiful 2 box solution ...was that up Seattle way ?
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=175104&postcount=18
:thmbsup:

4313B
02-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Utterly outstanding! :yes:

You know... now that JBL is going to be "Made In Anywhere But U.S.A." all this stuff is probably going to skyrocket in value... I'd imagine that most of it will get moved overseas to the Asian market rather rapidly since they are the only people left on the planet that hold "Made in U.S.A." dear. :)

JBL just sold out their last ace in the hole. :rotfl:

Heck, so did Crown for that matter...

JBLAddict
02-21-2010, 03:57 PM
which rubber surrounds are you referring to ?? My L7's have standard foam on the LF driver.

Am I reading this correctly ? L1:):) is a studio monitor ?

I should clarify, the mid-bass and mid of the L7 have rubber surrounds, but yes, the 12" LF has foam, though I've not seen many/any sets that I can recall that stated they needed or had a refoam.

if you're saying you paid <100 for L7s that's a great deal less than "a little below market", these sell for >450 on ebay and CL much, much, much more often than they sell for <450??. if you're saying they're slightly better than the L65, I can't help you there ;-) will just have to use statistics to compare the avg opinions of those who've heard both

L100= consumer version of 4311 (near field studio monitor)-- identical by design and performance, in fact the history section of this forum states the demise of the L100 in the late 70s came from consumers realizing the identical 4311 could be purchased at a fraction of the L100 markup---I'm sure someone will correct any slight errors I've made, the this is the basic gist

Triumph Don
02-21-2010, 04:42 PM
IMHO the L7's sound much better than the L150's. Yes placement is an issue, but I actually have both side by side right now.

150's are scratch free, new foams. You can have them for $450.

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2010, 07:23 PM
if you're saying you paid <100 for L7s that's a great deal less than "a little below market", these sell for >450 on ebay and CL much, much, much more often than they sell for <450??. if you're saying they're slightly better than the L65, I can't help you there ;-)

OKAY...I got the L7 pair plus a PS100 sub for $125 ...figure the sub was worth 25

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27291

Phil has picked up couple sets of L7's at approx $200.

have never heard L-65's...I compared them to L-166's.

L100= consumer version of 4311 (near field studio monitor)-- identical by design and performance, in fact the history section of this forum states the demise of the L100 in the late 70s came from consumers realizing the identical 4311 could be purchased at a fraction of the L100 markup---I'm sure someone will correct any slight errors I've made, the this is the basic gist

The rap on L1:):)'s is "FAKE BUT FUN"...can't see any studio in the last 30 years using these as monitors. ....wud like to see someone who really knows tell me that L100 & 4311 are identical.
Wud guess same drivers, modified xover.....heck, my much appreciated 4410's shared nearly the same drivers as L80T , which very few people defend...they are different beasts.

BMWCCA
02-21-2010, 07:29 PM
The rap on L1:):)'s is "FAKE BUT FUN"...can't see any studio in the last 30 years using these as monitors. ....wud like to see someone who really knows tell me that L100 & 4311 are identical.You're forgetting that the 4311 and other "Control" monitors were voiced to mimic the popular Altec monitors of the time and were never intended to carry a "flat" response. Purpose-built and successful.

mike
02-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Someone's coming to pick my L150's up tomorrow and all can say is that the longer I owned them the more they grew on me; to the point that I kind of hate to see them go. They need a good amp with decent low end control or they can sound a little loose and wooly but when driven by good amplification they are pretty good and hold up pretty well alongside more modern systems

Mike

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2010, 07:52 PM
You're forgetting that the 4311 and other "Control" monitors were voiced to mimic the popular Altec monitors of the time and were never intended to carry a "flat" response. Purpose-built and successful.

makes sense in that perspective....but by extrapolation...L100's mimicked Altec monitors ?

BMWCCA
02-21-2010, 08:38 PM
makes sense in that perspective....but by extrapolation...L100's mimicked Altec monitors ?That would appear to be a sound deductive conclusion. I'm only repeating what I've read here: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=40110&postcount=6

JBLAddict
02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
makes sense in that perspective....but by extrapolation...L100's mimicked Altec monitors ?

From a guy named Don:D
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1389&highlight=70%27s+monitors
For example, no one in their right mind would buy an L100 for use as a studio monitor. That is because the acoustically identical 4311 could be had for around two thirds of the cost of an L100. However, by end of the 70’s, many people were buying 4311’s for home use because of this price differential and this was partially responsible for the demise of the L100.

MLM
10-07-2015, 03:54 AM
I just purchased a pair of JBL L7 Loudspeakers and they are connected to my Onkyo Receiver TX-DS696.When I first played this combo they sounded really good without having the 12' woofer playing,however when I decided to change to heavy guage of speaker wire(16 guage) to try hooking a Adcom 545 for 12' woofer(which didn't work to well) I decided to unhook the Adcom and go with the previous set-up.When I play the system now there is static and distortion after a few minutes and sometimes 20-30 minutes after the CD is playing.I wonder do I need to hook up an amplifier and a pre-amp instead of a receiver to get the sound that I want without the distortion and static?

BMWCCA
10-07-2015, 05:17 AM
I just purchased a pair of JBL L7 Loudspeakers and they are connected to my Onkyo Receiver TX-DS696.When I first played this combo they sounded really good without having the 12' woofer playing,however when I decided to change to heavy guage of speaker wire(16 guage) to try hooking a Adcom 545 for 12' woofer(which didn't work to well) I decided to unhook the Adcom and go with the previous set-up.When I play the system now there is static and distortion after a few minutes and sometimes 20-30 minutes after the CD is playing.I wonder do I need to hook up an amplifier and a pre-amp instead of a receiver to get the sound that I want without the distortion and static?
Check your wiring and your amps. It doesn't sound like the problem is with the speakers. Why not run the L7s with the terminals bridged with just the Onkyo? They love lots of power but will work with small power, too. Your Onkyo should be good for at least 100-watts per channel. Have you seen the L7 owners manual supplement that deals specifically with wiring, including bi-wiring, bi-amping, etc? http://www.manualslib.com/manual/284546/Jbl-L7.html#manual

audiomagnate
10-07-2015, 06:54 AM
...Am I reading this correctly ? L1:):) is a studio monitor ?

Not in my universe!

In response to the original question, I would go with the L150. I just don't like the sound of that tweeter in the L7, I find it fatiguing.

SEAWOLF97
10-07-2015, 07:42 AM
You're forgetting that the 4311 and other "Control" monitors were voiced to mimic the popular Altec monitors of the time and were never intended to carry a "flat" response. Purpose-built and successful.

well now that I actually own 4311B's, my comments vs. L100's have a bit more experience behind them.

My L-100's are in Chicago with my son, but I remember them well. The 4311, despite having the same drivers, seems a bit more accurate (if turned upside down from how they were designed :) ), the bass does not seem so accentuated, but they certainly are "kissin' cousins". Less of the "best coast" sound.

My earlier comments v. 4410 vs, L80T still stand ..virtually same drivers..different sound.

LowPhreak
10-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Had a friend who had the L150's eons ago, and all SAE gear in front. We thought they sounded really good for their day. He had white-woofer monitors in the other room as well, 4311's I suppose. Don't think I've ever sat down for a listen to L7's, might have heard them in passing at an audio shop somewhere.

Seawolf - I usually don't have trouble with your terminology, but can we please stop referring to speakers as a "solution" around here? They're not a computer or piece of software! The audio curmudgeon in me is offended. :duel: En garde!

BMWCCA
10-07-2015, 06:28 PM
You guys do understand that the last post in this thread before yesterday was nearly six-years-old and yesterday's newbie was asking an L7 question pretty much unrelated to the thread content, right? I answered him anyway but now it seems we're dredging up the old stuff. :dont-know:

LowPhreak
10-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Nope, I didn't see that it was a necro. Eh OK with me, still an excuse to talk JBL right? :deal:

BMWCCA
10-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Nope, I didn't see that it was a necro. Eh OK with me, still an excuse to talk JBL right? :deal:
By all means, please continue! :)

LowPhreak
10-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Gee, maybe I shouldn't or I might be flamed for discussing a "not current" topic?

Fuckin intarweb is awesome, iddnit? :banghead:

Mr. Widget
10-07-2015, 10:09 PM
I wonder do I need to hook up an amplifier and a pre-amp instead of a receiver to get the sound that I want without the distortion and static? I can't speak to the noise and other issues that you're describing, but something is certainly amiss. That said, I am not at all a fan of the Onkyo AVRs. The preamp portion is OK… just OK, but the amplifier section really sounds dreadful in my opinion... and being in the business I have heard hundreds of these.

If you can find a simple stereo preamp and basic stereo power amp, I think you'll be much happier with the sound of your speakers.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
10-08-2015, 08:01 AM
You guys do understand that the last post in this thread before yesterday was nearly six-years-old ...

who cares ?

gee ...maybe we should delete all posts over a year old ? Nothing to learn there ?

BMWCCA
10-08-2015, 06:34 PM
who cares ?

gee ...maybe we should delete all posts over a year old ? Nothing to learn there ?
And if you can't say something nice . . .

I was simply trying to direct attention to the newbie's question with no intention of rehashing the whole thread. Sheesh, you guys must really have nothing to do. Are your tires flat? Goodwill on holiday?

SEAWOLF97
10-08-2015, 07:11 PM
And if you can't say something nice . . .

I was simply trying to direct attention to the newbie's question with no intention of rehashing the whole thread. Sheesh, you guys must really have nothing to do. Are your tires flat? Goodwill on holiday?

Your best defense is offense ? Too funny. :barf:

BMWCCA
10-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Your best defense is offense ? Too funny. :barf:

Just following your lead in this infantile pissing match. See what I get for trying to answer a guy's question? Sheesh. Not worth my time to respond to you crabby old farts. So keep this up amongst yourselves, all you thread-crapping experts.

I'm putting myself in time-out for responding to your drivel in the first place.

audiomagnate
10-10-2015, 04:08 PM

On a lighter note...MLM, your amp, receiver (or whatever it is that you are using that is going south after 20-30 minutes) is in need of service. Don't use it anymore, or you may end up damaging your L7's.