PDA

View Full Version : New Foam and Spiders

2string
02-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Well I certainly can recommend have the old lansaloy removed and refoaming and new spiders. Wow what a difference. I now have beautiful lows. Not the most perfect glue job but the new surrounds didn't cover the cone area where the lansaloy was. He only charge me $60 I told him it was worth more then that to me and gave him $90 Still a deal I think.

http://i45.tinypic.com/11udcap.jpg

hjames
02-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Well I certainly can recommend have the old lansaloy removed and refoaming and new spiders. Wow what a difference. I now have beautiful lows. Not the most perfect glue job but the new surrounds didn't cover the cone area where the lansaloy was. He only charge me $60 I told him it was worth more then that to me and gave him $90 Still a deal I think.

Cool, but - I don't see what model of speaker or what drivers ...

Updated 4:30Pm - Ah - now I see there was an attached image -
network censors must have stripped your image site http://i45.tinypic.com/ from my web access.
Makes more sense with the picture - thanks!

Earl K
02-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Nice ! :thmbsup:

Not the most perfect glue job but the new surrounds didn't cover the cone area where the lansaloy was.

- Looks good from this distance . :p

Cool, but - I don't see what model of speaker or what drivers ...

- le14a woofs
- le85 drivers on HL91(s) .

- Speaker Cabinet ? ( I always forget the name of this little guy, not many around I guess ) .

>< cheers ;)

2string
02-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Apollo C51

Earl K
02-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Apollo C51

Thanks, I'll try to properly file that ( for better retrieval next time ) ;)

:p

Mr. Widget
02-18-2010, 09:45 AM
- Looks good from this distance . :p
They look virtually perfect from my house. :D

How did your reconer determine which spider to use? Did he or you ever test the Fs once the speakers had been broken in?

BTW: I have that same Marantz... mine powers a pair of L100s... I still love those blue light specials.

Widget

2string
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I do not know if he checked the Fs. I do not even know what it is or how to test for it. He has done many,many JBL speakers so I think he knows what he is doing. I hope!

Mr. Widget
02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
I do not know if he checked the Fs. I do not even know what it is or how to test for it. He has done many,many JBL speakers so I think he knows what he is doing. I hope!Fs is the driver's free air resonance, it is primarily a function of the moving mass and the suspension compliance.

The suspension's compliance is primarily controlled by the spider, but the surround does have an affect. The primary reason an old lans-a-loy surround needs to be replaced or treated is that it will become so stiff that it raises the driver's Fs. Replacing the spider with an aftermarket one can easily give your speaker a suspension that can be too soft or too stiff. I personally would only change one if I could be certain that the completed work (surround and spider) resulted in the correct Fs. This can only be verified once the driver is broken in. A new driver (or one with a new suspension) will have a significantly higher Fs than spec. There are no JBL made or specified spiders available separately. JBL only sells them in fully assembled recone kits. This isn't to say that no one out there could copy the parameters of the original spider, but care must be used in selecting the appropriate one.

You might ask your reconer if he routinely checks for this sort of thing and if he checked yours. I doubt he did, but if he did, he rocks.

BTW: Your LE14As should have an Fs of ~28Hz.

Widget

2string
02-19-2010, 04:10 AM
How do you check it. Is it something I can do myself?

Mr. Widget
02-19-2010, 09:35 AM
How do you check it. Is it something I can do myself?You need an audio frequency signal generator and a DMM.

Alternatively if someone in your area has a Woofer tester, or other impedance measuring system they could help you out. With the right gear it only takes a minute or so to check.

Widget

2string
03-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Finally got it all together. Speakers re-foamed,Marantz completely rebuilt and case built and finished. Loving life again.
http://i42.tinypic.com/w8xir5.jpg

hjames
03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Beautiful!
Thanks for sharing with us.

Finally got it all together. Speakers re-foamed,Marantz completely rebuilt and case built and finished.
Loving life again.

2string
03-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks hjames

Earl K
03-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Yep,

Great Job, 2string ! :applaud:

Be proud of yourself & your restoration efforts . :D

Nice Job ! :thmbsup:

<> Earl K

Wagner
03-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks hjames

Do you have a pair of Apollos, or are you just running the one MONO?

I had a pristine set of cabs (with the cloth grilles) that I sold,

I regret it sometimes.

Nice Marantz too; "2275", not that common, it's a rare one.

Beautiful. I wouldn't mind having a "2275".

Thomas

2string
03-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I have a pair,running stereo.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2mn291v.jpg