PDA

View Full Version : Almost scored some L300s, but....

brad347
02-17-2010, 07:33 AM
the seller was trying to get a "bidding war" going from three prospective buyers, I guess.

He told me he had a standing offer of $1000, and I politely asked him to name the price he would need, but he kept avoiding. He wanted me to make an offer.

Maybe I should've dealt on his terms, but those "off-ebay bidding wars" never end well in my opinion and are incredibly frustrating.

Finally I politely said that I wasn't interested in a bidding war and I hoped he would understand, but if he would just tell me what he needs for them I would probably be interested. I've never heard back!

Shame too because they're about an hour from me. Pretty decent shape, woofers needed refoaming.

I guess patience will have to prevail! Cant really afford market price for awhile, probably.

I guess I will have to just keep enjoying my L-65A pair until something else comes along. :o:

SMKSoundPro
02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I agree that bidding wars are just that...wars.

Stick around and become more educated and maybe, build your own pair of a L300 3 way configuration that thrills you.

That's what I did, and although at this time, has ZERO WAF, Lisa agrees it sounds fabulous and only wishes we had the room at home to have it, instead of my workshop above the main bar.

Scotty.

mike
02-17-2010, 06:51 PM
From my experience when a seller insists on being made an offer that seller isn't even serious about selling his item. In these situations I usually tell the seller that if he doesn't know how much he would be willing to sell the item for then how would I know what he would be willing to sell the item for.

Mike

Triumph Don
02-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Buying or selling, same rules apply. With a seller [or buyer!] like this, NOTHING can be closed over the phone. An hour drive for 300's? No problem. Should have immediately set an appointment to see them. Seller has had the calls, heard the love, first one shows up with the cash is the owner. Gosh, you might have had to go $1200. Maybe $1600. For $3000 speakers.

hjames
02-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Triumph Don is right - if you want them, stay on top of it, keep sending email or making phone calls (if you can get the number).
Go out for them, cash in hand, be prepared to haul them out immediately.

The guy I bought my 4341s from was on the road and hard to get hold of.
he had posted them on ebay and didn't get the bids he wanted, or something ...
but apparently i managed to pin him down at the right moment and we made a date to check them out that weekend.

He had someone on site to demo them, they had a few issues, but the cabinets were pristine,
and most of the drivers were right (smile) - I had the cash, and they came home with us in my CRV ...
I did a 200+ mile round trip for them ... (but I never quote prices here).

Depends on how bad you want them - I missed out on at least 6 deals before I landed that one.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=24849&stc=1&d=1178421976
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=24852&stc=1&d=1178422007

scott fitlin
02-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Triumph Don is right - if you want them, stay on top of it, keep sending email or making phone calls (if you can get the number).
Go out for them, cash in hand, be prepared to haul them out immediately.

The guy I bought my 4341s from was on the road and hard to get hold of.
he had posted them on ebay and didn't get the bids he wanted, or something ...
but apparently i managed to pin him down at the right moment and we made a date to check them out that weekend.

He had someone on site to demo them, they had a few issues, but the cabinets were pristine,
and most of the drivers were right (smile) - I had the cash, and they came home with us in my CRV ...
I did a 200+ mile round trip for them ... (but I never quote prices here).

Depends on how bad you want them - I missed out on at least 6 deals before I landed that one.Yup, if you want them bad, you have to work the seller. And like everyone else said, BE PREPARED TO PONY UP AND HAUL 'EM OUT, ON THE SPOT!

Triumph Don
02-17-2010, 09:04 PM
A recent example:
S: JBL Studio Monitors 4313b - $200 (Avon)

Date: 2010-01-19, 8:06PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] ([email protected]?subject=FS%3A%20JBL%20St udio%20Monitors%204313b%20-%20%24200%20%28Avon%29&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Findianapolis.craigslist.or g%2Fele%2F1561004096.html%0A) [Errors when replying to ads? (http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/replying_to_posts)]

Vintage audiophiles these are for you! I recently pulled this out of my spare storage bedroom because I need the space for a house guest. These are in fantastic shape except for some small holes where they were hung in a radio production studio and also the speaker surrounds on the woofers have eroded (most 70's stuff has by now). If you know anything about vintage audio you know it is an easy $20 fix. These go for $400 to $500 on ebay and other sites. I just need a quick sale and don't have the room. Please only contact me if seriously interested. Thank you.

http://images.craigslist.org/3nb3k93l75T65S85Rba1j0de1b204ef081725.jpg http://images.craigslist.org/3n03p33l95Ob5Tb5Raa1j23c6467176621ca2.jpg
An hour away. I was the first one to show, a tweeter was dented since the pictures, let him run his mouth about how many people were on their way, $125 CASH I was on my way home.

brad347
02-18-2010, 10:58 PM
You guys make good points. Maybe I just don't want them badly enough!

Or I do, but right now I'm in the middle of producing one record, recording another, and I'm just running crazy. Perhaps if I was just a leeeetle bit more bored, I would "make it happen." An hour's drive one way and some negotiating to MAYBE go home with some speakers might as well be a trip to France for me right now. Not enough hours in the day as it is.

But I do hate stuff like this... sellers who play one side against the other. Once I bought a drum set, agreed to their $300 asking price over the phone. On my way there, when I was almost there, (an hour fifteen drive) the seller called and said someone else had offered $400. So I ended up having to pay $400 for them.

I still did pretty good, but it was annoying. It was either pony up an extra hundred or turn around and go home empty-handed having wasted gas and a few hours.

One other time I had posted a wanted ad for broken amps. A guy contacted ME with a Marshall guitar amp at a pretty good asking price. Naturally I agreed and was on my way... didn't even try to talk him off his price. He then looked it up on eBay AFTER we agreed to the deal, and called me back after I was already halfway there to say he would need more money. So I turned around and went home because I wasn't interested at the "new" price. Then he called back offering the old price again, so back in my car again to make the hour drive all over (it WAS a good price).

Around that time I stopped looking at Craigs altogether. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.

scott fitlin
02-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Yes, I have been in this spot too. It sucks sometimes dealing with sellers.

I once found a piece i was looking for, and agreed to the sellers overpriced price, because I wanted it. The morning I was getting ready to go to pay for and pick up the piece, the seller calls me and said he had a better offer. Would I match it? I told the seller we agreed on price. He said yes, but...

I told him keep it, sell it to the other person, whatever.

Two days later, my phone rings, the sellers deal fell through, do I still want it?

NO! I found another, at 100 bucks less than our original price, and I had!

You keep looking, you will find what you want. The only bad news is, most sellers know what their L300,s are worth, so, when you do find a pair, just be prepared to pay for them.

CountD
02-19-2010, 02:11 AM
In my experience dealing with sellers on craigslist is don't waste time on the phone with offers and small talk before you see anything. It might not even be what you want. Tell them you are on the way with cash. Tell them you are not a tire kicker or time waster (the list is full of these types as you know and most sellers know this too).

And another thing about craigslist I have found out here in SO CAL - is that even with a smoking deal people are usually not too serious right away, so when you see it jump in your car with the cash. If there is a phone number on the ad call it - don't email.

Hey Don, glad you got those. I saw them when I did a search and was going to beg him to ship them. Great score and one for the books.

brad347
02-19-2010, 07:22 AM
This particular thing wasn't on the list. It was a completed item on eBay that I saw was close to me and had ended without meeting the reserve. I so Just hit "e-mail seller" and asked if they were still available. That's what gets us to this point.

If he listed them on eBay he probably knows what they're worth, which is kinda why I was skeptical that I might be able to just jump in the car with $1200 or $1500 and snag 'em. Maybe I'm wrong. But something just seemed a little weird about it.

brad347
02-19-2010, 09:49 PM
just got an e-mail from the guy saying they're sold. Was nice of him to reply. I had given up hope ever hearing back again!

I'm sure someone got a decent deal. Maybe next time I'll have more energy to get after it.

CountD
02-20-2010, 07:43 PM
The guy probably was a game player, but at least he got back to you.

Let me tell you one thing though - don't get down about it, there are always more deals out there and tomorrow you might even find some. That's the way it works. Now that you are kind of in the market you'll probably find some sooner than you think.