PDA

View Full Version : ALTEC TRANSFORMERS - What were these used for?

Phonic
02-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I recently acquired a couple of boxes of what I believe to be ALTEC transformers. They are definitely ALTEC as it is printed right on these units. I am wondering what they were used for or in and whether they are still considered viable by todays standards. Pix attached.

SMKSoundPro
02-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Maybe 70volt lines?

herki the cat
02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
I recently acquired a couple of boxes of what I believe to be ALTEC transformers. They are definitely ALTEC as it is printed right on these units. I am wondering what they were used for or in and whether they are still considered viable by todays standards. Pix attached.

Please improve your photo with better lighting & better legibility and post again. thanks.... herki

Phonic
02-16-2010, 02:38 AM
I ended up with at 40 of these units so am definitely keen to understand what they are all about. Tx.

Earl K
02-16-2010, 08:02 AM
CLICK HERE ! (http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/ElectronicsAndTransformers/transformers/15000%20series%20Transformers.pdf) to view other Altec output transformers ( in pdf form ) . This Altec paper is a good overview of the various issues .

-Reading between the lines would lead me to believe that yours are a 70 watt version of the 15060 ( a 70 volt type used for distributed speaker systems, as found in restaurant or airport installs ) .

- Get an accurate weight for one of yours & see how it compares to the others ( listed in the pdf ).
- FWIW, generally with "trannies", the more weight , the better they are .
- Still, as you can see from the linked to specs. / these are all fairly limited-bandwidth devices .

>< cheers

jcrobso
02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
If so could you post a picture?