PDA

View Full Version : Altec magnificent grills?

hatrack71
02-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Does any member know of a place or other member to source a new set of lattice grills for a pair of Magnificents. I am restoring a set for myself and find it rather difficult to fix the existing grills or even remove them for that matter. Are there any other options Magnificent owners have pursued. Thanks in advance.

GF_Workman
11-29-2012, 02:18 PM
I have a similar situation - broken grill on an Altec Lansing Magnificent - has anybody ever fixed one or know of a place where it could be fixed?
Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
George

hatrack71
12-01-2012, 04:37 AM
I have a similar situation - broken grill on an Altec Lansing Magnificent - has anybody ever fixed one or know of a place where it could be fixed?
Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
George

George, to answer your question, not really. You can roughly glue in a scrap to fit and fill in any voids around it with Bondo. The paint is a pretty common match. I'll try to find what color I used. Best thing to do is locate the same pattern grill that has been damaged and can be used as a donor. Put out a feeler for a broken Valencia lattice grill- same pattern and far more common than the Magnificents. A member here helped me with a pair of Apollo grills that way. It's tedious to cut the fitting parts and glue them but will look the best in the end. When I got done with mine you couldn't tell it wasn't original. Nice speakers- they are well worth restoring.

sonofagun
12-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Like these?

See: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?20622-Altec-846A-Valencia-grilles

GF_Workman
01-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've been watching for Altec Valencia grills on ebay but so far they appear to be quite different. Do the Valencias perhaps come with more than one type of grill? Do I need to look for a specific model (like only the 846A)?

Anyway, for anybody who is interested, here's pics of the situation, assuming I do this attach image thing correctly: