PDA

View Full Version : LE 14A surrounds

2string
02-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Well my 14A's are gone to be resurrounded and new spiders, should make a big difference. They were stiff as a board. Does anyone know how to bring back the new look to the front aluminum plate?

2string
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Hello, I just received a call from the guy repairing my speakers. He said the foam surrounds I bought do not cover the cone where the old surround use to be. He said the inner lip of the surround is not wide enough.If he puts them on, the speaker will look like shit because they go over the front of the cone and the lip is not wide enough to cover the part on the cone where the old surround use to be. I bought these from looneytune 2001 and are supposedly the replacement for the LE14A. Any body else have this problem and what did you do?

hjames
02-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Hello, I just received a call from the guy repairing my speakers. He said the foam surrounds I bought do not cover the cone where the old surround use to be. He said the inner lip of the surround is not wide enough.If he puts them on, the speaker will look like shit because they go over the front of the cone and the lip is not wide enough to cover the part on the cone where the old surround use to be. I bought these from looneytune 2001 and are supposedly the replacement for the LE14A. Any body else have this problem and what did you do?

Write loonytunes and send him your phone number.
Rick will know what to do and will work with you.

tweeter
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I think the problem is that your woofers had the Lansalloy surrounds on the front face of the cones and the Rickīs foam hasnīt the lips enough wide to put in this way. I think they are good for the back of the cones.
I also have a pair of LE14A and Iīm waiting for a kit from Rick.
I hope that they will be useful because mine had the foam on the back.

2string
02-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks I just e-mail loonytunes . They have to be put on the front otherwise it will look like crap. My repair guy said they all most cover the area on the cone where the lansaloy was and that he will put a nice bead of black glue around to cover the bad spot. Hopefully they will sound and look good when he's done. He's also changing the spiders, they where very saggy.

JeffW
02-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Pics on the first page, some info on the second, about what you are up against.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=198349#post198349

speakerdave
02-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Rick has said that no one is actually making a foam for that foam-on-front LE14A and we must make do with the foam-on-back version. Sucks, I know.

brutal
02-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Odd, my Rick Cobb foams covered the old Lansalloy circumference perfectly.

I suppose it's possible different runs of either the original JBL lansalloy, or Rick's foams were off a little either way and could contribute to ill fitting.

Fangio
02-09-2010, 03:20 AM
A while back I had a pair LE14A patients on the bench with the white aquaplas on the back of the cone, and inverse lansaloy surrounds glued to the front. The foam lips of Rick's kit actually covered this area.

Yes I did that somewhat reluctantly but I didn't see another way and both spiders came out flat again.

2string
02-09-2010, 03:33 AM
What did you do to the cones to make them black?

Fangio
02-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Nothing, they already were that way. I did remove the paint from the frame fronts to improve the look, that's all.

Earl K
02-09-2010, 07:11 AM
A while back I had a pair LE14A patients on the bench with the white aquaplas on the back of the cone, and inverse lansaloy surrounds glued to the front. The foam lips of Rick's kit actually covered this area.

Yes I did that somewhat reluctantly but I didn't see another way and both spiders came out flat again.

Good info about the spiders coming out flat ( after the new surrounds were glued to the front of the cone ) . Thanks !

<> Earl K

ps ; That's a real nice black finish on those FourteenA(s) . ( Too bad we don't know what it is :( )

2string
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I hope to get mine back today. I hope they come out OK! I like that black finish.

2string
02-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Why don't they make the correct foam for this speaker? Is this speaker not that popular?

Fangio
02-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Is this speaker not that popular?
Would say their market value actually reflects some popularity. Maybe not that much in the SOTA camp.. for peace of mind regarding foam-on-front one can always have a look at the newest TOTL JBL woofers anyway.