PDA

View Full Version : JBL L150 help

jontherev
07-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Great site, just what I was looking for! I have an old set of L150's my uncle gave me. I bought new woofers directly from JBL about 4 years ago to replace the old ones, which were deteriorating. Now, the midranges are not working, but JBL told me that they no longer sell these speakers, and furthermore, that there were NO other comparable replacements for these. So, what should I do? These speakers ROCK and I would hate to have to buy something else, especially after forking out $300-400 for those brand new woofers. Any help or advice would be much appreciated....thanks!

johnaec
07-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Here's a matrix of the different versions of the LE5 midrange as posted by (Giskard?). There are a number of the 91db versions that should work quite well, and are often found on eBay. You could probably even use the 94db versions and just turn the midrange controls down a little. The unlisted 104H-2 version could also probably fill in. The changes between different versions is probably so slight that you'd have to compare them side by side to tell any differences.

http://mark8.org/users/johnaec/le5x matrix.jpg

John

Figge
07-11-2004, 09:12 AM
u can also recone the mids. i kinda blew one le5-2 :) in a pair of 4311:s one time and called jbl repair. they told me they could recone it. i didnt do it cause of the prize! bought used pair instead.

jontherev
07-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Wow, thanks a lot people! That's what I needed to know!

Figge
07-11-2004, 10:14 AM
btw welcome aboard! :)

speakerdave
07-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by jontherev
I have an old set of L150's my uncle gave me.

Now, the midranges are not working

A terrific Uncle you have there!. You must be a close-knit familiy!

About the midranges--Unless you know specifically what happened to them you should check to be sure it is the midranges that have gone out and not something in the crossovers.

David

jontherev
07-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Ok, I've had these speakers for about 7 years now and I was going on memory. Total brainfart on my part.:banghead: ACTUALLY...it is NOT the midrange that is out, but rather one tweeter. Everything else is working fine, just one tweeter from one side. So, I guess the same question needs to be asked as before...which models would work good as a replacement for this tweeter. I imagine I'll have to probably buy a set and just replace both of them. You guys are quick!:D I've put this off forever and am finally wanting to get these speakers kicking their appropriate @$$. And yes, my uncle is really cool. Now, I just an amp to power these babies and the whole neighborhood can use my stereo.:D

johnaec
07-11-2004, 11:16 AM
The L150 uses the 033 tweeter - it's got a black dome. The L150A uses the 044 tweeter - silver in color. 'Not readily interchangeable as the crossover is different. I've seen both tweeters on eBay from time to time. I'm not sure if other models could be used...

John

jontherev
07-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by johnaec
The L150 uses the 033 tweeter - it's got a black dome. The L150A uses the 044 tweeter - silver in color. 'Not readily interchangeable as the crossover is different. I've seen both tweeters on eBay from time to time. I'm not sure if other models could be used...

John

Sweet, there's actually one on ebay right now for 39.99 + 10 bucks shipping. Ok, let the bidding begin! Thanks everyone for the help.

johnaec
07-11-2004, 01:02 PM
I'd also verify it's the tweeter and not a crossover component by switching the tweeters first to see if the problems follows it, or at least check the coil resistance to see if it's open or shorted.

John

jontherev
07-11-2004, 02:42 PM
I'd also verify it's the tweeter and not a crossover component by switching the tweeters first to see if the problems follows it, or at least check the coil resistance to see if it's open or shorted.

John

Whew! I had already placed a bid on that tweeter before reading your reply. Well, I switched the tweeters out and it still wouldn't work, so it looks like I "lucked" out and won't have an extra tweeter lying around after all. I should have perfectly healthy L150's in a week or so. Thanks for all the help ppl.

johnaec
07-11-2004, 04:48 PM
So you're saying the 033 actually is bad after the switch? It still didn't work when you put it in the previously good cabinet? I'll keep my fingers crossed for your bid.

I've also got a set of L150 speakers, in addition to two sets of L65-A speakers. With a little bit of judicious EQ you can get the L150s sounding pretty good. I'm sure you'll like them.

John

jontherev
07-11-2004, 06:28 PM
So you're saying the 033 actually is bad after the switch? It still didn't work when you put it in the previously good cabinet? I'll keep my fingers crossed for your bid.

I've also got a set of L150 speakers, in addition to two sets of L65-A speakers. With a little bit of judicious EQ you can get the L150s sounding pretty good. I'm sure you'll like them.

John

Yeah, the 033 didn't make any noise at all when I switched it to the other side. I did it twice to make sure. So, it's definitely the 033 that's busted. What pisses me off now is that I spent so much on those woofers when I could have either bought some on ebay, or had them reconed. I didn't know what I was doing, and just ASSumed that I needed to buy a new pair through JBL. Regardless, I have a great pair of speakers, so I'm ultimately a happy pair of ears.

No one has bid thus far, and I'm guessing the market is pretty scarce on these puppies, so I'm confident I will take the tweeter home. If i have to up my bid, so be it. I don't have an EQ at all, and they sound righteous indeed. I get compliments constantly, and no one thus far has even been able to tell I'm missing a tweeter! Of course, they aren't audiophiles like you guys.:cool: Once again, thanks for all the help man. I can't wait to hear these speakers with some BALANCE!:D Take care,
Jon

Don C
07-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Last minute bids are very common for JBL stuff on eBay. I would sugest that you bid again, as much as you are willing to pay, before the auction ends. The actual bid price will not increase unless there is another bidder.

johnaec
07-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Don C
Last minute bids are very common for JBL stuff on eBay. I would sugest that you bid again, as much as you are willing to pay, before the auction ends. The actual bid price will not increase unless there is another bidder. Excellent advice Don! I've lost out on a few things because I intended to wait until the last minute so as not to drive the price up, then got distracted, forgot to make that last bid, and lost out... :banghead:

John

jontherev
07-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Don C
Last minute bids are very common for JBL stuff on eBay. I would sugest that you bid again, as much as you are willing to pay, before the auction ends. The actual bid price will not increase unless there is another bidder.

Ok, let me get this straight, because I'm not exactly an experienced ebayer. I bid the minimum price of 39.99 and there is no other bidder right now. If I "up" my bid to, say, 50.00, and no one else bids on it, then I would only have to pay my original 39.99? Thanks for the advice. I'm crossing my fingers.

jontherev
07-12-2004, 08:39 AM
I read the rules on ebay, so I understand how it works now.:smthsail:

johnaec
07-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Ok, let me get this straight, because I'm not exactly an experienced ebayer. I bid the minimum price of 39.99 and there is no other bidder right now. If I "up" my bid to, say, 50.00, and no one else bids on it, then I would only have to pay my original 39.99? Thanks for the advice. I'm crossing my fingers. That's exactly right. I also see there's another bidder now, so be sure to get your max price in. I also notice the other bidder has 75% negative feedback - deadbeat buyer!! (3 out of 4). On the chance he were to win, I'd still send a note to the seller letting him know you'd still be interested if the winning bidder flaked.

John

jontherev
07-12-2004, 01:23 PM
That's exactly right. I also see there's another bidder now, so be sure to get your max price in. I also notice the other bidder has 75% negative feedback - deadbeat buyer!! (3 out of 4). On the chance he were to win, I'd still send a note to the seller letting him know you'd still be interested if the winning bidder flaked.

John

I noticed that. What a putz! He probably just goes around and bids on stuff so that people don't get it for a minimum bid. However...I WON!!! Thanks so much for all of your help. I'm looking forward to a nice, balanced set of speakers....can't wait.:smthsail: :D :cool:

Zilch
07-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Watching the countdown to the finish....

Time left: 2 mins 9 secs....

Time left: 0 mins 7 secs....

Bidding has ended for this item. (jontherev is the winner)

[And the crowd roars with approval!!!]

:D :D :D

[Grog for everyone....]

Figge
07-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Zilch
[And the crowd roars with approval!!!]

yepp! we do! :yes:

johnaec
07-12-2004, 07:08 PM
However...I WON!!! :smthsail: :D :cool: Be sure to drop the seller a note to put some kind of "hollow" protection that won't move over the dome for shipping - those things can get dented really easy... And congratulations! I wish the bass I'm bidding on wasn't so popular - 15 minutes to go and the price has shot up $50 in the last 5 minutes... :(

John

jontherev
07-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Be sure to drop the seller a note to put some kind of "hollow" protection that won't move over the dome for shipping - those things can get dented really easy... And congratulations! I wish the bass I'm bidding on wasn't so popular - 15 minutes to go and the price has shot up $50 in the last 5 minutes... :(

John

Hey thanks for the tip. I've been nervous all week because he hasn't replied to any of my emails. FINALLY, today I heard from him. YAY!!! Thanks again everyone for the good vibes and tips. He said he'd mail it out today or Monday, so by the end of next week I should be grooving quite righteously.:D

jontherev
07-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Since you guys know so much:p ;) , I'm curious how these L150's rank in the JBL catalog. Basically, I'm wondering how bad these babies are in comparison to other JBL products. I don't really care if you think they are bottom line JBL's or not because to me they sound amazing, but I'm just curious where they rank (which I know is subjective). Now all I need is a decent amp to power these babies. Right now, I'm just running them through a Harmon Kardon receiver (sorry, can't recall the model number).

This is going to kill you guys, but my uncle also gave me an old Phase Linear preamp and amp that I used for a while until the tubes blew out. I spent $200 to fix it and it blew again, so I just threw it away after trying to sell it at yard sales and pawn shops to no avail. I was going through a divorce, moving and stuff so I didn't think it was worth anything. I wish I hadn't thrown it away now...:banghead:

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for a decent amp to put more power into these speakers that wouldn't be too outrageously expensive, I'd love to hear it. I saw a JBL power amp on ebay that sounds pretty good. Looks like I could score a decent one for around 100-150 bucks. Again, thanks for all the help.

speakerdave
07-16-2004, 12:52 PM
If I said to you, "The BIC Venturi speakers from the 70's are twice as good as those POS JBL 150's," would you switch? I hope not. If you have speakers you can enjoy music through then listen to music through them.

You can get multiple answers to your question about how forum members feel about these speakers by doing a search. I've never heard those speakers, but my recollection of what others here have said about them is that they are well regarded.

Go ahead and enjoy them.

My experience buying pro power amps on eBay is about 50%. The problem is that even if someone offers you your money back you've paid a lot of shipping.

I would try to buy locally.

David

Zilch
07-16-2004, 12:54 PM

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for a decent amp to put more power into these speakers that wouldn't be too outrageously expensive, I'd love to hear it. I saw a JBL power amp on ebay that sounds pretty good. Looks like I could score a decent one for around 100-150 bucks.

Absolutely. Watch for JBL 6260 (600 W) or 6230 (300W) on eBay. The bigger 6260, a beast (about 60 lb.), shows up there more frequently for under $300. The more modest 6230 has plenty of power for general use. Get lucky and find one for $200 or under.

They are convection cooled, i.e., no fans making noise, and just plain solid amps. Add screw-on hard rubber or composite plastic feet from the hardware store at existing bottom-panel mounting locations, replacing the screws, if required.

These are quality professional format rack-mount amps. Pre-assembled Hosa cables from Guitar Center (or equal pro audio gear store) connect your persent unbalanced RCA jack sources to the 1/4" TRS or XLR balanced input jacks on the back. They're available in various lengths, 0.5 to 3 Meters, if I recall. Use the shortest length that works with your setup.

Hopefully, your receiver has a variable preamp output to feed the amp, but using the tape output is not terribly inconvenient, since the amp has level controls, until you further upgrade your gear. You'll likely be wanting a second one to drive your new subs soon. ;)

Last time I checked, parts and manuals were still available from JBL Pro; a nasty front panel insert or busted power switch are easily replaced. Call parts and check first if this is a concern.

Somebody here in the SF Bay Area makes beautiful custom wood cabinets for them for about $125. eMail me if you get one and want me to dig up the contact info....

speakerdave
07-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I second Z's statements about the JBL 6260, but, again, be careful buying.

The manuals are available on-line at JBL Professional.

johnaec
07-16-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm curious how these L150's rank in the JBL catalog.Well, I have heard that the L150A vesions are generally preferred because of the 044 tweeters instead of the 033. That said, I've got the basic L150 in addition to two pairs of L65A. No question the L65A highs are nicer, but with the judicious use of EQ the L150 sound fine to my ears. They do have more bass output than the L65A.

I think the biggest difference is if you try to push them real hard. I imagine this is where systems that have horn drivers for mid/hi frequencies would take over. I've never been able to do an A/B comparison with the L150/L65A and a horn driver HF system.

:confused: John

jontherev
07-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by speakerdave
If I said to you, "The BIC Venturi speakers from the 70's are twice as good as those POS JBL 150's," would you switch? I hope not. If you have speakers you can enjoy music through then listen to music through them.

You can get multiple answers to your question about how forum members feel about these speakers by doing a search. I've never heard those speakers, but my recollection of what others here have said about them is that they are well regarded.

Go ahead and enjoy them.

My experience buying pro power amps on eBay is about 50%. The problem is that even if someone offers you your money back you've paid a lot of shipping.

I would try to buy locally.

David

Heck no I wouldn't switch. I was just curious is all, since I'm pretty much ignorant compared to y'all. It sounds awesome to me, and that's all the really matters, even with only ONE tweeter going.

speakerdave
07-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Heck no I wouldn't switch.

Right on!

jontherev
07-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Absolutely. Watch for JBL 6260 (600 W) or 6230 (300W) on eBay. The bigger 6260, a beast (about 60 lb.), shows up there more frequently for under $300. The more modest 6230 has plenty of power for general use. Get lucky and find one for $200 or under.

They are convection cooled, i.e., no fans making noise, and just plain solid amps. Add screw-on hard rubber or composite plastic feet from the hardware store at existing bottom-panel mounting locations, replacing the screws, if required.

These are quality professional format rack-mount amps. Hosa cables from Guitar Center (or equal pro audio gear store) connect your persent unbalanced RCA jack sources to the 1/4" TRS or XLR balanced input jacks on the back.

Hopefully, your receiver has a variable preamp output to feed the amp, but using the tape output is not terribly inconvenient, since the amp has level controls, until you further upgrade your gear. You'll likely be wanting a second one to drive your new subs soon. ;)

Last time I checked, parts and manuals were still available from JBL Pro; a nasty front panel insert or busted power switch are easily replaced. Call parts and check first if this is a concern.

Somebody here in the SF Bay Area makes beautiful custom wood cabinets for them for about $125. eMail me if you get one and want me to dig up the contact info....

Thanks. I was looking at the sr6630 because I saw it on ebay just now and it looks really good. I don't need 600 watts because I believe the L150's can only handle 300 watts if I'm not mistaken. I don't want to blow these babies again! Please forgive me if I'm wrong on that. I'm not quite the audiophile that you guys are. I'll definitely keep my eye on that 6230 though. Also, I might take you up on that offer as well. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the edgukasion!:D

Zilch
07-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Look out, now. SR6630 has a fan on the back, no?

A good amp as well, BUT, this matters....

It's 6230 you want, more likely.

Also, it was probably an amp with too LITTLE power that blew the tweeter. Most common cause is an amp that went into clipping from being overdriven. Check the JBL Pro website library for their article on this....

6230 is rated 75 Watts per channel into 8 Ohm load, 150 Watts into 4 Ohms.

6260 is rated 150 Watts into 8 Ohms, 300 Watts into 4 Ohms.

I'm guessing your speakers are 8 Ohms and you don't need to be concerned about overdriving with either amp. They have "Clipping" lights. :biting:

boputnam
07-16-2004, 05:38 PM
I'm not quite the audiophile that you guys are. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Buit I'm just guessing here that few amongst us have the connections you have... ;)

DavidF
07-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Since you guys know so much:p ;) , I'm curious how these L150's rank in the JBL catalog. Basically, I'm wondering how bad these babies are in comparison to other JBL products. I don't really care if you think they are bottom line JBL's or not because to me they sound amazing, but I'm just curious where they rank (which I know is subjective).

A range of newly designed speakers for the home market appeared around this time (L212, L110, L40, L150, L220) all having moved beyond the “dressed-up studio monitor” with designs meant to compete in the booming home stereo environment. The L150 seemed to me to an extended L110 which had already made a fine impression on the market. Proved to many that did not have access to the mastering monitors that maybe JBL wasn’t all boom and screech after all. The larger box of the L150 went deeper and put out more energy down low as a result. For its size, the L150 did not appear to take up much space in the listening room. I remember how large the L212 system seemed for what was essentially a 3-way design with sub. The “A” model followed the introduction of the L112 with the new 044 tweeter and a revised crossover. I have not heard the 033 tweeter to compare but I like the 044 very much. It takes a lot of power without compression and seems to have a well balanced power response. The knock is a relatively high resonance and a high end response that falls off quickly over about 16kHz It may be too much a matter of preference as to which crossover/tweeter combination is better. I recall reviews with high ratings for the L150 during its lifetime. It size better fits the performance of the woofer and the result is a better balanced response bandwidth. I think the cost is the only knock about the system that approached $700 each suggested retail which was getting pretty high for a 3-way format.

Reminds me that I wanted to confirm the dimensions of the actual wood enclosure for the L150 (without bottom riser and the depth of the grill).

I would appreciate it someone could relay those specs.

David F

GordonW
07-16-2004, 09:03 PM

I am 1000% in agreement with this. GREAT amps, especially for an L150 or its ilk.

I used to sell the Urei/JBL amps "back in the day"... I still want to run into a 6290 (the "big moose", 300w/ch) sometime. But even, as was said above, the 6230 is a brawny little scrapper... and will CRANK IT OUT, with grace and aplomb.

Jon, you're in Snellville... you oughtta check out Galaxy Music over near East Park Place off of US78. I'd bet they'll run across a 6230 or 6260 sometime. Or, you might be able to talk my buddy Ron over at Northwest Speakers and Equipment (over in Smyrna) into selling one of his stash. Not guaranteeing anything, as Ron LIKES these Urei/JBL 62xx-series amps... but maybe... :)

Regards,
Gordon.

4313B
07-17-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by DavidF
Reminds me that I wanted to confirm the dimensions of the actual wood enclosure for the L150 (without bottom riser and the depth of the grill).

I would appreciate it someone could relay those specs.

David F 40 x 17 x 13 without grille or base. 3.97 cu ft gross internal volume.

DavidF
07-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
40 x 17 x 13 without grille or base. 3.97 cu ft gross internal volume.

Thanks, Giskard.

jontherev
07-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
Maybe yes, maybe no.

Buit I'm just guessing here that few amongst us have the connections you have... ;)

Yeah, I'm lucky in that regard. He's my only Uncle, and since I'm the musician of the family, he gave them to me. I've actually been using these speakers sans one tweeter for probably 3 years now. I think I forgot just how incredible these things sounded with both tweeters pumpin'. Needless to say, I'm more than a little excited for this package to arrive.:cool:

jontherev
07-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DavidF
A range of newly designed speakers for the home market ...lots more useful text...I think the cost is the only knock about the system that approached $700 each suggested retail which was getting pretty high for a 3-way format.
David F

Wow, thanks for your opinion. That was very informative.

jontherev
07-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by GordonW
I am 1000% in agreement with this. GREAT amps, especially for an L150 or its ilk.

I used to sell the Urei/JBL amps "back in the day"... I still want to run into a 6290 (the "big moose", 300w/ch) sometime. But even, as was said above, the 6230 is a brawny little scrapper... and will CRANK IT OUT, with grace and aplomb.

Jon, you're in Snellville... you oughtta check out Galaxy Music over near East Park Place off of US78. I'd bet they'll run across a 6230 or 6260 sometime. Or, you might be able to talk my buddy Ron over at Northwest Speakers and Equipment (over in Smyrna) into selling one of his stash. Not guaranteeing anything, as Ron LIKES these Urei/JBL 62xx-series amps... but maybe... :)

Regards,
Gordon.

Hey neighbor :D , thanks for the tips there. I'll have to definitely check into these two amps. I remember how earth-shattering these 150's were when I had the amp powering them. It's not just about loudness...they just "sounded" better with more power. I might also take a trip to see Ron if I can't find one elsewhere. I'm patient.;) You guys have been so much help...thanks so much!

jontherev
07-19-2004, 12:10 PM
I tried Galaxy Music to no avail (lots of power amps, but alas, no JBL's :bomb: ), but now I see there's a 6260 for $99 on ebay. How ironic, as soon as I start on this board, all the items I'm asking about appear on ebay. If I can get this amp for a decent price I might just go for it instead of waiting around for the 6230 to show up. I'm sure someone will bid on it though...I think I'll wait until closer to the end of the auction to see how the market is for this amp. Again, you guys have been a great help!

boputnam
07-19-2004, 12:14 PM
How ironic, as soon as I start on this board, all the items I'm asking about appear on ebay. Yea, we're aware of that. At least it provides you sources - which is good - but we tend to get a bit cross when folks promote the uniqueness / scarcity of their components here under the guise of "gathering info" - and we merrily pile-on having gone through all our files - only to have those components show on eBay soon after...

Zilch
07-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Not from ME, for sure. I'm KEEPIN' my modest stash of 6230's and 6260's here.

Actually, they quite regularly appear on eBay, the 6260's more often. A 6230 recently went for peanuts, for example:

$117.50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3726631833&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)

Search completed auctions for others.

Footnote: 6260's came with two configurations of speaker output terminals, a quad cluster of four vs. four in-line. The quad cluster is a little tougher to get bare leads in and tighten by hand, but it ain't as if we're always swappin' them, is it? LOL

jontherev
07-19-2004, 01:14 PM
deleted.

jontherev
07-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Not from ME, for sure. I'm KEEPIN' my modest stash of 6230's and 6260's here.

Actually, they quite regularly appear on eBay, the 6260's more often. A 6230 recently went for peanuts, for example:

$117.50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3726631833&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)

Search completed auctions for others.

Duh! I gotta learn to use search funtions more and more importantly READ. I didn't even think about searching old auctions to see what price items tend to go for. Great tool!

Footnote: 6260's came with two configurations of speaker output terminals, a quad cluster of four vs. four in-line. The quad cluster is a little tougher to get bare leads in and tighten by hand, but it ain't as if we're always swappin' them, is it? LOL

Ah, thanks for that morsel. I'm not too concerned about it, because the only time I move them around is when I move MYSELF (OR the girlfriend decides it's time to move furniture around;) ). Luckily, it's not very often.:smthsail:

jontherev
07-19-2004, 01:27 PM
deleted:o

Zilch
07-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Well, it just "happened" to be on my "Watch" list there.

Obviously, I wasn't watchin' all that good.... :(

OH, well, there'll be more. That's one thing I've learned trading online: there's not many items that won't reappear eventually.

Before eBay, I usta think D130's and L100's were hard to come by. It's now clear that large areas of the country are paved with them....

And it ain't as if we need MORE of this stuff, either, is it? :D

jontherev
07-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Well, it just "happened" to be on my "Watch" list there.

Obviously, I wasn't watchin' all that good.... :(

OH, well, there'll be more. That's one thing I've learned trading online: there's not many items that won't reappear eventually.

Before eBay, I usta think D130's and L100's were hard to come by. It's now clear that large areas of the country are paved with them....

And it ain't as if we need MORE of this stuff, either, is it? :D

Yeah, well, you might have to bid against ME!;)

I forgot to mention that my neighborhood's roads were paved using recycled L250's. :eek:

boputnam
07-19-2004, 05:51 PM
I usta think ... L100's were hard to come by. It's now clear that large areas of the country are paved with them.... Do I dare... :hmm:

Zilch
07-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Yeah, well, you might have to bid against ME!;)

As a matter of common courtesy and in the spirit of community fellowship, forum members do not bid against each other on JBL stuff. Nope.

So, there's little point in you puttin' in anything more than your absolute minimun bid on any given item there.

[You said you was new to this, right?]

:rockon1: Heh, heh....

boputnam
07-19-2004, 07:42 PM
:hmm:

Can't resist: We opened for AATW quite a few times - circa 1978, at the Golden Inn, way-up in the mountains above Santa Fe. Some fun. The last time, some dood shot his wife's lover through the window. Not a good scene. Good thing it wasn't one in my band - an otherwise highly likely scenario. Anyway, the band played on...

As I recall, Asleep at the Wheel had some difficulty following our opener... ;)

jontherev
07-20-2004, 09:41 AM
As a matter of common courtesy and in the spirit of community fellowship, forum members do not bid against each other on JBL stuff. Nope.

So, there's little point in you puttin' in anything more than your absolute minimun bid on any given item there.

[You said you was new to this, right?]

:rockon1: Heh, heh....

Yep, very new. That's really cool of ya, and seems like a good neighborly way of doing things. I'm holding off on the current 6260 if you (or anyone else) want it though. I don't have the extra cash right now. But, I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on the 6230. I'm in no hurry. I'm still waiting for my 033, which will hopefully arrive this week. That will satisfy me for now.:cool:

johnaec
07-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Yep, very new. That's really cool of ya, and seems like a good neighborly way of doing things.I think Zilch was pulling your leg to make you think you shouldn't bid against him. :hmm: All is fair in love and war... :duck: (Though I myself probably wouldn't bid against a member that put a first bid in...)

John

jontherev
07-20-2004, 12:00 PM
I think Zilch was pulling your leg to make you think you shouldn't bid against him. :hmm: All is fair in love and war... :duck: (Though I myself probably wouldn't bid against a member that put a first bid in...)

John

Doh! Now that I reread his post, I think I can tell that. Sometimes, I'm so gullible.:banghead:

Zilch
07-20-2004, 03:22 PM
I think Zilch was pulling your leg....

Yup. I made it up.

"As a matter of common courtesy and in the spirit of community fellowship ..." sounds like our moderator, tho, don't it? Hee, hee.

The truth be known, I think most members are respectful of each others' turf(s). If you're bidding and I know it, I'm cheering. That's how it is.

Well, USUALLY, anyhow. :p

jontherev
07-27-2004, 04:44 AM
...and I am quite happy with the results! The L150 sounds awesome now. I put the balance in the middle to see how it sounded beforehand, then added the new 033, and WOW what a difference. I dusted off some SRV and played "The House is Rockin'" to celebrate. Thanks for all the advice guys.

GordonW
07-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Hey Jon... did you get my PM (private message) about the 12" woofer basket I "built" for the "L-112 clone" center channel? Drop me a line...

Regards,
Gordon.

jontherev
07-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by GordonW
Hey Jon... did you get my PM (private message) about the 12" woofer basket I "built" for the "L-112 clone" center channel? Drop me a line...

Regards,
Gordon.
Nope, checking it now...