PDA

View Full Version : Help in 19 Crossovers .

senor_mouse
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Hello , this is my first post .

I know this topic has been discussed a lot . My idea is not to continue , instead I need the schematics of a better 19 crossover , something that preserve the original flavor of the speaker but continue improving the original one . I love the sound of the 19 but my crossover are near 40 yearls old now .
Ive found a schema name "604-8H Mod19 Ckt" on this forum , the values are very near the original model 19 N1201 8A . Can someone explain the sonic diffrerence please . Is that for the 19 or for the 604 H ?

Saludos from Chile .

JuniorJBL
02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry did not read far enough I guess. Shame shame!!:banghead:

Zilch
02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I assume the subject is the Altec, not the JBL.

I did that, to render them passive biampable, combining the M19 and a later version of the 604 crossover.

Presumably, cloning the original design new is an improvement, and another company does that.

Several members have built the new design and say it is good, and more are doing the same.

I have never built it except as prototype.

There's little doubt that someone applying modern design knowledge, tools and techniques could do better, but it wouldn't be M19.

That's all I know.... :blink:

senor_mouse
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I assume the subject is the Altec, not the JBL.

I did that, to render them passive biampable, combining the M19 and a later version of the 604 crossover.

Presumably, cloning the original design new is an improvement, and another company does that.

Several members have built the new design and say it is good, and more are doing the same.

I have never built it except as prototype.

There's little doubt that someone applying modern design knowledge, tools and techniques could do better, but it wouldn't be M19.

That's all I know.... :blink:

Thanks Zilch , yes the subject if for Altec Model 19 . Ill think it is very difficult to build something better . Any other design could bring

problems to the 802 8G HF extended response making this 2 way a need for a 3 way ( supertweeter ) via L-Pad . im not biampling

now , so I think Ill clone the original design . My caps sure are 40 years old now .

Thanks , very nice work on the M19-604 .

lansingfan
02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Hello , this is my first post .

I know this topic has been discussed a lot . My idea is not to continue , instead I need the schematics of a better 19 crossover , something that preserve the original flavor of the speaker but continue improving the original one . I love the sound of the 19 but my crossover are near 40 yearls old now .
Ive found a schema name "604-8H Mod19 Ckt" on this forum , the values are very near the original model 19 N1201 8A . Can someone explain the sonic diffrerence please . Is that for the 19 or for the 604 H ?

Saludos from Chile .

If they haven't changed, you should be good. Otherwise, Just replace them with like values.Tweaking the values is just different, not better. The original has EQ for the horn which should remain the same. It's just a damn good Heritage speaker in and of itself.

senor_mouse
02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I agree with you lansingfan . Any brand of caps that will make the difference here ? , ( very high quality but nothing exotic ) . And I

move from the 811B to a 650hz Tractrix . Very good sound , do you think of something to change in the EQ for this ?

Saludos from South Pacific Coast .

dc270
02-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I have built and used the Model 19 xover upgrade (thanks again Zilch) for 6 moths or so now. I find it a definate improvement and very satifying to listen to for extended listening periods.

I would say the overall sound is much smoother, more detailed with very good attack. I also found at higher power levels the new networks did not distort as they had done before- much cleaner. The clairity was most noticable, all instruments took on a definate realism and poorly mixed CD were easily heard. The human vocal sound was very believable and true to listen to. Susan Boyle sounded much improved when the two networks were A/B together.

I thought a simple cap upgrade was possibly the best and most cost effectibe solution. After hearing a completely new network and a cap upgraded network you will want the new networks. Power handling was much improved as inductor saturation from the old networks was much improved with much lower woofer distortion and improved control.

You can also do imaging a favor with the foam application around the horns.

All in all I would certainly reccomend the network upgrades and for almost $70 (shipped) for the components and a day of carful assembly you have made a most worthy upgrade to an already great design!
DC

KCM
02-12-2010, 10:11 AM
dc270, can you point me to the schematic of the new crossover you built ?

Thanks !

Zilch
02-12-2010, 12:44 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=30595&stc=1&d=1200899899

senor_mouse
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=30595&stc=1&d=1200899899
:applaud:

Muchas gracias Zilch ! Mil gracias ! I was looking all the week for those parts !

If you come to Chile let me know . :)

KCM
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah, what he said........ Minus the Chile part :D

Thanks !

senor_mouse
02-12-2010, 06:59 PM
BTW , the xover point of Zilch is still 1200Hz ? dc270 can you give me some tips on building them , maybe upload a pic so I can now how difficult it is ?
:o:

Zilch
02-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Why are you posting this but to suggest that both Altec and Zilch are STUPID?

Surely, you're not proposing THAT as a suitable alternative for a M19 crossover?

Where's your HF comp with independently adjustable L/M balance and HF "boost"?

Where are the transfer functions?

What's the acoustic crossover frequency?

How 'bout I delete my posts and YOU provide all the answers?

[I did not spend YEARS in Giskard Boot Camp for nothing, you know.... :p ]