PDA

View Full Version : Musical 2 way electronic crossover?

oldr&b
02-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Greetings, I need a 2 way 2 channel electronic crossover. I wonder if any of the typical units usually sold for PA use (Peavey, Behringer, DBX, etc.) are "musical" enough for a home hi-fi system? I'm not made out of money so that precludes high end stuff.

Anyone have experience with Marchand? How about Marchand XM9L-AA device? Thanks.

hjames
02-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Greetings, I need a 2 way 2 channel electronic crossover. I wonder if any of the typical units usually sold for PA use (Peavey, Behringer, DBX, etc.) are "musical" enough for a home hi-fi system? I'm not made out of money so that precludes high end stuff.

Anyone have experience with Marchand? How about Marchand XM9L-AA device? Thanks.
Well, some of us have used the Ashly Xr1001 with some success -
I think its around $200 new, or can be found cheaper used.

Or, as G-man might say ... "what's your PricePoint?"

SMKSoundPro
02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Sure, there are plenty of two-way electronic crossovers out there in the market. Some are better, some are worse.

Question: What frequency is your intended crossover point?
What speakers?
what amps?
and on and On.

If you can offer more info, we may some have good ideas for you. That being said, your initial post is too open ended for me to advise anything, yet.

Scotty.

Mr. Widget
02-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Greetings, I need a 2 way 2 channel electronic crossover. I wonder if any of the typical units usually sold for PA use (Peavey, Behringer, DBX, etc.) are "musical" enough for a home hi-fi system?Well... that depends on a couple of things.

First, how good the rest of your system is... If you are using a pretty low-fi front end, I don't think you will have any problem with the "pro" crossovers. I like the Ashly the best of the many inexpensive "pro" units I have tried.

Second, how critical are you? If you have a very good system and you really listen, the "pro" units may not work out for you as you may notice a harsh glaze over the system, or a narrowing of the sound stage, or simply a less pleasing sound. For me, the Ashly does all of these things... but it does them less noticeably than the others.

I'm not made out of money so that precludes high end stuff.High End means different things to different people.

Anyone have experience with Marchand? How about Marchand XM9L-AA device?I am not familiar with that unit, but a buddy recently replaced a Pass Labs solid state crossover with a much less expensive tube unit from Marchand and he loves it. He thinks it was a real improvement. I haven't made it by yet to compare, but at the very least it is likely equally good for thousands less.

Widget

speakerdave
02-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Bryston 10b is quite good. Street price is about $2500 new. They sell on ebay for $900-1200. That's a damn good deal, even if you send it in for their set-price service. (about $300). NO IC's! Crossover at certain frequencies, twelve of them. Crossover frequency and slope independently selectable for low pass and high pass--6,12 and 18 dB. It's worth the money. A pair of really fine passive crossovers could be that much.

toddalin
02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
A local has an Ashley 4 way mono/3-way stereo (Ashley 2001 or equivelent) for $100 (at least that's what he quoted me).

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1577546452.html

Chas
02-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I have used and still own some Ashly and they're great for the price.

I have Marchand XM-1 state variable boards with my own power supplies and supporting balanced I/O circuitry. With upgraded IC's they are very good.

I also have an XM-44 with premium IC's, balanced ins and outs and they are excellent.

Both Marchand units are several orders of magnitude better sounding than the Ashly. But, they cost a bunch more, too.

Tom Brennan
02-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Both Marchand units are several orders of magnitude better sounding than the Ashly.

Thousands of times better? That much, eh?

Mr. Widget
02-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Thousands of times better? That much, eh?Unfortunately, it is difficult to quantify or accurately describe sonic differences... there are those Hi Fi mags that get caught up in descriptions of "rhythm and pace", "allowing the musician's voice to finally be heard", or some on-line who speak of "breathing life into the music" etc. Other than interesting poetry what does any of that really mean?

I think it is safe to say, the Marchand crossovers sound noticeably and consistently better than the pretty decent Ashly crossovers.

Widget

Chas
02-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Thousands of times better? That much, eh?

LOL!

Okay, maybe a single order of magnitude.....:)

None the less, in a relatively high res system, big difference, IMHO.

aaadougford
04-05-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm investigating the possibility of NOT replacing my current Altec N801-8A network Xover/attenuator and going with active crossovers. The reason is for more control over my current 2 way Altec Santiago speaks that have evolved to Altec 902-8B horn drivers and keeping the 411-8a woofers. Because the horn drivers are much more efficient than the woofers, I think I will need the control that the Altec attenuator may not have with the current setup.

I don't know if your familiar with this equipment, but if you are, can you suggest a good way to control this setup of speakers. Although I haven't been able to try the new horn drivers yet, I have the feeling that I should take the control before I spend the money to rebuild the current crossovers.

So can you suggest a devise to make these speakers sing and not be over powered with the HF horns?

I can give you more detail if needed.

ChrisKoehn
04-08-2011, 01:40 AM
I've been using the Rane AC-22-S for some time, and I can recommend it.
Is it "musical"? I don't know, but it certainly does what the spec-sheet says it does and is rather well built.
It's neither cheap nor outrageously expensive (around 500$ in the US, i think) and it boasts HF CD-horn EQ and LF delay, both of which I use in my (home hi-fi) system.
Regards,
Chris