PDA

View Full Version : cabinets

tesla
07-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Are their any cabinet demensions or plans for the L65's available? I know I can draw mine, but if they are already available...:)

boputnam
07-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Hey, Tesla...

The reason your post has gone un-replied to, is there are no plans for JBL commercial cabinets. JBL freely offered advice on how to build, and did offer plans for non-commercial cabinets, but they never provided any plans for the cabinets we all enjoy.

If I understand you to say you have a pair of L65's and would measure them - maybe you could consider starting a Thread documenting that - I'm certain there are many interested parties!!

tesla
07-10-2004, 10:14 PM
I am going to measure the L65 cabs, and I will report the results to everyone. Perhaps we could start a trend :) I do have a question though, for anyone that owns a pair of tjhe L65's.

How is the glass top held in place? I have the parts, but they seem to be incomplete, and I can't tell by pictures I've seen.

Regards,

Gene

johnaec
07-10-2004, 11:59 PM
The glass tops just sit in place - you just slide them to the rear if you need to get hold of an edge to lift them out. And they sit on a black "pad", (thin cardboard with a fuzzy "velour" finish on the "up" side against the glass). The pad has a little square hole in one corner about 1" x 1" that the little metal JBL logo sits in. You can then see the logo through the glass.

BTW - did you check out that link to the 122A speakers on eBay? The cones and surrounds look factory, but they appear to have a 4" dust cover instead of 3". Someone probably misplaced the 3" ones and just stuck on whatever was handy. :rolleyes: Who knows - they may even be better that way. Notice that JBL does exactly that on many of their current speakers, such as the 2241H, 2242H, and Sub1500. I'd still venture to guess they'd sound virtually stock, and undoubtedly better than what it sounds like yours came with.

'Just curious - why do you need the plans and dimensions? Thinking of replacing/rebuilding yours?

John:rolleyes:

tesla
07-11-2004, 06:19 AM
Johnaec;

Yes, my cabs are less-than-perfect. And although I've seen MUCH worse, I figured that a set of real wood, (read that oak plywood) cabs would really dress them up :) All I have to do now is get them measured, and show-up at Dad's house to use his table saw. (with the wood, of course). :)

As for those 122A's, I emailed him about his payment options last night. Seems that he say's he accepts ONLY Paypal. I don't use Paypal, and am not making an acception. We'll see what his answer is.

What bothers me, however, is autenticity. When I get a pair of 122A's, I want them STOCK. That means Original cone, dustcap, surround, spider, etc. The way I see things, I might as well just buy a frame, and take it to a JBL dealer to do it right, than buy something that is a patchwork of who knows what. I want to be able to hear what there are capable of.

speakerdave
07-11-2004, 07:27 AM
$50 each is a decent price for frames. Whether you buy these or others I would check and be sure the cone kit is still provided by JBL.

David

johnaec
07-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by tesla
I figured that a set of real wood, (read that oak plywood) cabs would really dress them up :)

When I get a pair of 122A's, I want them STOCK. That means Original cone, dustcap, surround, spider, etc. I'd be careful about oak plywood - it's usually just a veneer on top of low density plywood, which is far less than optimum for making a solid speaker cabinet. Instead, I'd suggest medium or high density particle board, or baltic birch plywood, covered with an oak laminate/veneer.

I've looked real close at the cones and surrounds on those eBay 122As and they look to be the correct kit, which if so, would include the correct spiders and voice coils, since they come as a unit. Personally, I don't think the dome would make that much difference, but can understand if you want to try your luck waiting for a different set.

John

speakerdave
07-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Another thing you might consider--
Unless you are set on making cabinets yourself I would suggest you look for some originals. L65's frequently fall among dismantlers and the cabinets show up on eBay fairly regularly. A total cost of about $200 for purchase and shipping, say halfway across the country, would be a viable option over against the cost and time spent to make replicas.

David

Zilch
07-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Seller's payment instructions & return policy:
Item sold AS-IS...No returns.. Paypal Only I ship once a week,by UPS ground.

Was gonna quote without comment, but there's some express buyer's remorse here, not a good thing, since 3 NPB's and you're history on eBay. Hopefully, your seller will accept a money order, or other payment method. :(

As a buyer, I PREFER to pay using Paypal with a credit card, as there's several levels of protection against non-shipment, and, with qualified sellers, against "not-as-described" as well.

Paypal Protection Policies (http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/security-main-outside)

The oversize domes serve to stiffen the cone and may actually make a better woofer. As was mentioned by johnaec, above, JBL does that intentionally on some models. The recone seems to have been skillfully done, and it will be easy to determine if the correct kit was used once the items are in hand. Worst case, you've bought the frames you need for a reasonable price....

Also, I'd be seriously considering re-veneering the cabinets in hand. Unless you're a competent cabinet builder with the requisite tools and skills, the original construction will be hard to match. I know for sure that I could not approach the quality some experienced regulars here achieve in their box-building projects.

Not with MY dad's table saw, at least....

Been there, done that. "Landfill." ;)

Zilch
07-11-2004, 12:04 PM
For example, this pair! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61377&item=5709296395&rd=1)

tesla
07-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Some good points in your replys. Perhaps I will look into having the cabs professionally refinished. :)

Regis
07-12-2004, 07:37 AM
You cleared up a recent mystery that JBL Dog and I were going over. Now I know why my home 2214H's have the 4" dustcap and the Pro versions I brough for my brother on Ebay have the regular 3". Since there's a dented dome on the one, I'm just going to glue a pair of 4" dust caps over the old ones and yes, they do look 'cooler'!