PDA

View Full Version : Model 19 Black Vinyl Laminate

mpnye
01-29-2010, 04:42 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm re-finishing my Model 19's, and I need to replace the black vinyl laminate covering the riser between the upper and lower cabinet sections.

I was able to obtain a set of plans for the cabinet, with them indicating the following:

.006 Thick Vinyl, Columbus K-6-SC004 Black Morocco

Any help in locating some would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Nye

bigyank
01-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Welcome to one if not the definitive sources of information available for JBL and Altec Lansing. How about some pics?

Yank

lansingfan
02-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm re-finishing my Model 19's, and I need to replace the black vinyl laminate covering the riser between the upper and lower cabinet sections.

I was able to obtain a set of plans for the cabinet, with them indicating the following:

.006 Thick Vinyl, Columbus K-6-SC004 Black Morocco

Any help in locating some would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Nye

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=261-618&source=googleps

mpnye
02-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your reply. I found the exact replacement . . .

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/FASTEDGE/Fastedge-Peel-Stick-Edgebanding

Steve
02-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Aloha mpnye

Please let us know how the product turned out.
Pictures, description, ease of use, etc.
How did it do on the corners etc.
What width and length did you purchase.
I assume it was the black PVC that you used

Thinking about it, I wonder how it would work, hold up, etc. on a new speaker stand instead of the one that came with the speakers. Raise it off the floor a tad more? Better wood frame, wrapped in the black. Might look nice.

My black vinyl between the horn and bass cabinet is fine. It is the black vinyl on the left and right of the horn that is peeling up that I want to fix sometime.

Steve

mpnye
09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi all,

I'm sorry that I just now replied to your posts. I was under the impression that I'd receive an e-mail if I had a response to my post on here, apparently I was wrong.

The FastCap laminate product is very close to the OEM product, but is not exact in regards to it's stippled texture. It is; however, the closest product that I could find to the original. The texture is not as coarse as the OEM laminate, with the difference only noticeable from very up-close inspection. The real beauty of this product is the self-adhesive that makes installation a piece of cake.

I called FastCap to request a sample, where they sent me a sample of the black material along with a set of swatches of their complete laminate line which I received in just a few days. Their customer service even called me to make sure that I received the samples, and to answer any questions that I might have. Their website is an encyclopedia of products, tools and how-to videos. They're an AAA+++ company ! ! !

As soon as the weather here cools off a bit, I'll be doing another pair of 19's for a guy who liked how mine turned out. His are pretty rough, so I'll be re-veneering the tops of the horn cabinets and re-finishing them to a dark walnut as well as replacing the black edge banding between the upper and lower cabinets.

As far as trying to repair the bases, I threw mine away and installed 'T' stands made with 3/4" solid walnut on each side of the lower cabinet. They raise the speakers about 3" so they don't 'BOOM' into the floor. The 'open-air' space under the cabinet seems to give them more transparency, opening up the sound-stage.

I'm also considering the crossover mod from Great Plains Audio, so I'd appreciate any feedback from any of you who've either heard or have upgraded to them.

I'll be shooting photos of this project to post on here for you all.

Thanks,
Mike Nye

louped garouv
09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
My black vinyl between the horn and bass cabinet is fine. It is the black vinyl on the left and right of the horn that is peeling up that I want to fix sometime.

Steve

are you aware of the foam inserts for that section?

there are some mentions wherever you have M19 talk, it seems...
but want to make sure you were aware...

Sootshe
09-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi all,

I'm also considering the crossover mod from Great Plains Audio, so I'd appreciate any feedback from any of you who've either heard or have upgraded to them.

I'll be shooting photos of this project to post on here for you all.

Thanks,
Mike Nye

Hi Mike,
If the crossovers in your 19's are original all you need to do is replace the caps & resistors....it's a night & day difference. Also replace the L pads with fixed resistors...10 ohm for the mid & 3 ohm for the hi ( this replicates the mid position of the L pads). Bypass the ground lugs on the crossover plate .

These mods will make your 19's sound better than new.
Cheers,
John:)

mpnye
09-22-2010, 05:52 PM
are you aware of the foam inserts for that section?

there are some mentions wherever you have M19 talk, it seems...
but want to make sure you were aware...

Yes, I have the foam inserts, and they're well worth the money . . .

Thanks,
Mike

mpnye
09-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi Mike,
If the crossovers in your 19's are original all you need to do is replace the caps & resistors....it's a night & day difference. Also replace the L pads with fixed resistors...10 ohm for the mid & 3 ohm for the hi ( this replicates the mid position of the L pads). Bypass the ground lugs on the crossover plate .

These mods will make your 19's sound better than new.
Cheers,
John:)

Will do John

Thanks,
Mike