PDA

View Full Version : D130 Recone Requirements

Beowulf57
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
I have a D130 which which I picked up a couple of years ago and when I ran a test sweep recently I discovered buzzing distortion at a few frequencies. Pressing on the spider reduces this and I suspect the voice coil is misaligned in the gap or the voice coil/spider/cone joints are bad. As well the cone has numerous small splits around the perimeter. To repair this will all elements need replacement? I can pick up some NOS 130-202 cones, but will I also need a new spider...voice coil? Of course I assume I will need adhesive and shims to get the coil centred in the gap.

Earl K
01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Those "130 202" paper cones look interesting / though they never seem to sell for less than $ 100.00 .

Apparently, ancient D130s had narrower gap width than the norm ( hence some of their "tone" ).

Unfortunately you've discovered the down-side of a tighter tolerance in this area .

New factory recone kits ( C8RE130 ) may not fit properly into the narrower gap .

- Rebuilding such a speaker will be an adventure .
- Once you are into it there is no going back .
- I believe it's "Doable" if you devote enough time to research the mechanics of it all .

Gordon Waters ( GordonW ) is skilled at these custom "saves" / shoot him a PM to get his views .
- BTW, he mostly posts these days at "AudioKarma" .

<> cheers

Beowulf57
01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks Earl...so it sounds (pardon the pun) as though a complete job including the spider and voice coil assembly will be necessary. That may deter me, since picking up the replacement cone alone will not suffice. Or perhaps a kit like this one might work...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180253451686&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT...?

I'll give that contact you mentioned a try...

Steve Schell
01-29-2010, 04:28 PM
IMO some of the "130202" stamped cones seen on ebay are modern reproductions, and may not have the performance of the original Hawley cones. The early cones (late'40s, early '50s) especially are extremely thin, beautifully made cones.

Beowulf57, another thing to check is the integrity of the glue joint between the edge of the spider and the frame. Sometimes the glue will pop loose and cause a buzz.

Beowulf57
01-29-2010, 08:02 PM
IMO some of the "130202" stamped cones seen on ebay are modern reproductions, and may not have the performance of the original Hawley cones. The early cones (late'40s, early '50s) especially are extremely thin, beautifully made cones.

Beowulf57, another thing to check is the integrity of the glue joint between the edge of the spider and the frame. Sometimes the glue will pop loose and cause a buzz.

I thank you Steve, for the heads up on reproduction cones. The suggestion to check the spider/frame glue joints is also much appreciated!