PDA

View Full Version : JBL 8350 as LCR Speaker

Jonas_h
01-28-2010, 04:27 AM
I am looking for new front (Left, center, right) speakers for my surround system. My room is about 25 sq. meters and is well treated acoustically. Because the room is also my living room, it would be nice with speakers which could be wall mounted.

I love the sound from the cinema and love the horn/compression-driver sound, so I have been looking into the pro cinema line and saw the JBL 8350. I know it is ment to be used as a surround speaker, but how would it perform as a front/center speaker? By looking at the specs it should be able to deliver great dynamics.

So given it would be mounted so the speaker did not face 20 degrees down but actally would face the listening position, is there any reasons to why it not be suited as an LCR speaker?

Looking forward to hear some input on my idea :)

Jonas_h
03-01-2010, 01:54 PM
No thoughts? :(

jcrobso
03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I am looking for new front (Left, center, right) speakers for my surround system. My room is about 25 sq. meters and is well treated acoustically. Because the room is also my living room, it would be nice with speakers which could be wall mounted.

I love the sound from the cinema and love the horn/compression-driver sound, so I have been looking into the pro cinema line and saw the JBL 8350. I know it is ment to be used as a surround speaker, but how would it perform as a front/center speaker? By looking at the specs it should be able to deliver great dynamics.

So given it would be mounted so the speaker did not face 20 degrees down but actally would face the listening position, is there any reasons to why it not be suited as an LCR speaker?

Looking forward to hear some input on my idea :)
I spent some time reading info on this speaker and you idea is very intriguing.:hmm:
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=1363
Sometimes posts can get over looked.
It would be easier to give your room size as 12x12 meters for example. I think in feet, but can convert to meters.
They would work, but the need to mount high up on the wall because of their shape, how high are you ceilings? Also you will need a good sub to handle the low base.
You might consider using them as the surround speakers also.
I like the idea of using a good speaker for the surrounds, I use JBL Nova 88s.

Jonas_h
03-03-2010, 02:46 AM
I spent some time reading info on this speaker and you idea is very intriguing.:hmm:
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=1363
Sometimes posts can get over looked.
It would be easier to give your room size as 12x12 meters for example. I think in feet, but can convert to meters.
They would work, but the need to mount high up on the wall because of their shape, how high are you ceilings? Also you will need a good sub to handle the low base.
You might consider using them as the surround speakers also.
I like the idea of using a good speaker for the surrounds, I use JBL Nova 88s.
Thanks for the answer! My room is roughly 5x5meters.
I know they are ment to be mounted high up on the wall because of their shape, but you can get a bracket where it is possible to tilt it as you like. This makes it possible to mount them at "normal" level.

As for SPL/Dynamics I am certain that they will deliver in a normal sized room, but I'm afraid that they might be harsh and fatiguing.

baldrick
03-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Several home theathers in Norway have speakersetup like this and as far as I've heard, they are not very good sounding :( 8350 are good surroundspeakers but not very good in front, they are very crisp!! Maybe OK for movies but not at all for music.

Jonas_h
03-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Several home theathers in Norway have speakersetup like this and as far as I've heard, they are not very good sounding :( 8350 are good surroundspeakers but not very good in front, they are very crisp!! Maybe OK for movies but not at all for music.

So I guess I'm not the first to have this idea :) Do you know what drawbacks the speakers had when used as front speakers? When you say they're "crisp", I would think thats a good thing.

baldrick
03-05-2010, 05:15 AM
Maybe crisp is not the word I meant, I guess "harsh" is a better word. For what I've heard, that just don't sound very good :(

Here's a picture of one of the theathers I know useing them in front:

http://avforum.no/forum/attachments/av-rom-konstruksjon-optimalisering/41915d1228907936-prosjekt-av-hytte-hagen-gang-status-nye-bilder-img_1240.jpg

Klipsch THX Ultra 2 is in the same pricerange and are probably a better choice

Jonas_h
03-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Very nice posts about pro cinema speakers on avsforum.no! I am from Denmark, so I know the language :)

Btw, have you kepth your cinema speakers or are you using the TI's again? I myself, am planning on using the JBL 4722's someday. So it would be a future proof solution if I got the JBL 8350's now, and move them back as surrounds when I got the big JBL's.

I currently own the JBL SVA 1500's but if the 8350's do not outperform them, then it would of course be a bad solution :) And if they are harsh as you say, I would definately prefer the SVA's.