PDA

View Full Version : Universal Bass Modules

Robh3606
01-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I finally had a chance to start these today. Really nice day here so it was a pleasure being outside. I ended up trying the 2" mdf corners. They are finished very nicely and line up with standard 3/4 mdf sheets. Have to finish tops and backs tommorow and build up a jig to attach the corners to the front baffle.

Rob:)

badman
01-24-2010, 02:52 AM
I'm doing a similar project with the 4" roundovers for the edges. The cab is overall curved and has replaceable baffles for either 12"s or 15"s. Still finalizing some details but they're built and I'm looking forward to finishing them up.

Robh3606
01-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Hello Badman

Using the 4"s! Those a big. I was looking at them but I needed to keep the width down. I am not switching drivers I am switching high frequency heads. I have to cut more wood today and put them together during the week.

Why don't you start a thread about your boxes and drop some pictures in. We don't get enough people documenting DIY threads here. Are they going to use sealed or reflex woofers? Do you have a removable bass ports or are your ports part of the baffle if you need them?

Earl K
01-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Very Nice Rob ! :thmbsup:

Cool, I never knew these premade roundovers even existed till now .

( I suppose I need to get out more ;) )

Thanks <> :)

tinnitus
01-24-2010, 08:42 AM
why not try building a cabinet based on an octogon or hexagon. The layout in straightforward and the curved sides are all the same length. Here's an example of a cabinet I'm working on for a pair of 116H's - 30 liters based on the volume of the 4301B cabinet. The penciled arrow is for illustration of how to build for a larger driver with modifying the volume to accomodate the driver of course. The view is the plan view of the cabinet. Another picture of a Vifa/Scan Speak 2-way called the birdhouses by some friends.

For the removable baffle, make a cutout in the inner baffle for the 15" driver. Add an outer baffle with bolt/screw on plates just oversized from the 12" or 15" drivers and bolt that to the inner baffle. The inner birdhouse brace (minus port cutout kinda shows the outer baffle locaion. The pencil lines on the inner baffle show the bolt on plate for swapping driver configurations.

Just thoughts to help spark design,
Gary

tinnitus
01-24-2010, 02:47 PM
In cabinet making I believe there is a joint called the french cleat. You take a piece of wood and cut a 45 degree angle across it. One piece of the wood is mounted to the wall and the other mounted to the cabinet. When the cabinet is slid on the wall the miter joint holds the cabinet to the wall. This joint might be applied to the removeable baffles to help secure it to the speaker cabinet.

Alternative might be putting indexing pins in place to help locate the baffle to the cabinet in a repeatable fashion. Before finishing or veneering the outer baffle drill a hole through the removeable baffle and into the inner baffle but not through it. Push a dowel peg into the hole gluing only to the outer baffle. When you place the outer baffle on the cabinet the pegs align the two peices of wood each time.

Thefrench cleat and indexing dowels are mutually exclusive because they work in different planes.

Again hopefully helpful woodworking ideas.
Gary

Robh3606
01-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Finally got them together. Those corners are nice. It would have been better to use biscuits but I don't have a cutter. Can't wait to load them.

why not try building a cabinet based on an octogon or hexagon.

That would mean having to redo the crossovers or design new ones from scratch. I already have my crossover done.

lgvenable
01-30-2010, 09:02 AM
rob'
where did you get the corners? The enclosures build look slick and straight forward.

Robh3606
01-30-2010, 09:12 AM
where did you get the corners?

Got them from here. They have a large seletion, fill orders and ship the same day. Mine got to me well packed in a couple of days. There just boxes with the corners so yes they were an easy build.

http://www.aitwood.com/

lgvenable
01-30-2010, 09:53 AM
rob
these are called mdf quarter rounds?, maybe I'm dense, I didn't see the exact profile you used. Any chance you could post your part number used?

Robh3606
01-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Here you go

http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.Asp?ItemID=8200&wdesc=MDF%20Prefit%20(L)%20Quarter%20Rounds

lgvenable
01-30-2010, 12:17 PM
rob
these are called mdf quarter rounds?, maybe I'm dense, I didn't see the exact profile you used. Any chance you could post your part number used?

Allanvh5150
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
2QL-3496-MDF:blink:

tinnitus
01-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Nice way to speed up construction.

pos
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Nice, and certainly useful to reduce edge diffraction!!
Are you going to load them with some LE14H?

Robh3606
02-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Are you going to load them with some LE14H?

That's the plan. I have a pair of LE-14H-3 to go in them. I was working out how to have a passive crossover installed internally and be able to jumper them out for bi-amp mode.

Robh3606
02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Getting closer. All I need to do now are build up the bass crossover boards and drop them into the cabinets. I used Mass Coat to seal and help damp the cabinets.

Robh3606
02-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Got one together just have to finish the other.

4313B
02-06-2010, 04:41 PM
That's groovy man! :)

spkrman57
02-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I wish I had the talent to do woodworking!

Regards, Ron

badman
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Hello Badman

Using the 4"s! Those a big. I was looking at them but I needed to keep the width down. I am not switching drivers I am switching high frequency heads. I have to cut more wood today and put them together during the week.

Why don't you start a thread about your boxes and drop some pictures in. We don't get enough people documenting DIY threads here. Are they going to use sealed or reflex woofers? Do you have a removable bass ports or are your ports part of the baffle if you need them?

I write for Enjoy The Music's DIY section, so I'll be posting both a build article for these, and a writeup of a 2 way open baffle around the 123a woofer in the near future. I'll be sure to let forumites know when they're up, several of the woofers for testing in my cab are JBLs.

JBL 4645
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Here you go

http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.Asp?ItemID=8200&wdesc=MDF%20Prefit%20(L)%20Quarter%20Rounds

Rob
Reading the length at 96” or 8 feet so how many off-cuts did you manage to get out this?

Nice :) like the corners and easy glue and screw together looks like cool DIY project, keep it going.

Wow what colour are you going for red rosewood finish?