PDA

View Full Version : Altec 5's

jbizub5192
01-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Sorry if this is not the right spot to put this in, this is my first post. Where can i buy used altec 5's.. My dad has them and I really like the sound.. Also how much can i expect to pay for them.. Thanks

hjames
01-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Sorry if this is not the right spot to put this in, this is my first post. Where can i buy used altec 5's. My dad has them and I really like the sound.. Also how much can i expect to pay for them.. Thanks
The Altec Lansing company that made them has been out business for years. The name was sold when they went under, but the new owners don't currently make those speakers. Best to hunt them on the Used market ... price there varies depending on the market and availability (think those are kinda rare)...

I found some info in the Online Altec catalog - home Models circa 1978 -

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1978-home/page04.jpg

jbizub5192
01-23-2010, 07:49 PM
ok thanks.. Do you have any suggestions where to look like what websites.. I did a few searches but i couldnt find anything.

hjames
01-24-2010, 06:04 AM
ok thanks.. Do you have any suggestions where to look like what websites.. I did a few searches but i couldn't find anything.

Patience, they weren't the most popular model, and are over 22 years old ... I suspect it will be a while before you see a clean pair for sale ...

Maybe try the ALTEC site?
From another thread ...

Check out this site for all Altec and A7 information.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/altec-users-board/

Tell them Marvin sent you, HA...

voice of theatr
01-24-2010, 11:11 AM
In my experience, your best bets for finding a particular model of vintage speakers (like the model 5's) are: (1) EBAY (of course), (2) CRAIGSLIST (check neighboring cities as well--I live in Rochester, NY and when I'm looking for a particular vintage speaker I check Syracuse, Buffalo, Albany, etc.)--you may have to be willing to drive a ways to audition and purchase your Model Fives, (3) CANUCK AUDIO MART, (4) Audio Forums such as the Lansing Heritage Marketplace on this website.... Good Luck!!!