PDA

View Full Version : Review of PSS600 amplifier in Australia

PSS AUDIO
07-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Ian,

As said earlier, we are about to ship a pallet to NET next week.

I already informed Billy about the amplifier I will add for you.

I will prepare a PSS600 from the PA series (same as for Scott) with the following modifications:

26-db gain,
120 000MF of JAMICON capacitors instead of 80 000MF.

It is in fact the amplifier I used as I am wiring tomorrow an MKIII amplifier for my personal use.

What will differ from an MKIII from an MKII amplifier?

Modified ground around the capacitors (if you open the PSS600 you will receive we added some wires between the bridges and the capacitors, we modified the MKIII board to have two complete fills - top and bottom - around the mains capacitors),

I came back from the twin bridge system to two bridges wired in parallel.

I hope you will fall in love and let it know to the magazines you are working with!

To get in touch with NET:

NETWORK ENTERTAINEMENT
Unit 2 98 Old Pittwater road
Brookvale
2100 NSW

Phone : + 61 2 9905 5997
Fax : + 61 2 9905 9440
Email : [email protected]

You can also follow this topic on PSS forum boards: http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27

Ian Mackenzie
07-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Yuri,

Thankyou for the update,

I look forward to listening to the amp and posting a review.

The amp will also sent to other interested parties for evaluation

Ian

Mr. Widget
07-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
Yuri,

The amp will also sent to other interesting parties for evaluation

Ian

In what way are they interesting ?

Widget

Alex Lancaster
07-07-2004, 07:42 PM
They have a third ear, very interesting.

boputnam
07-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Widget!! :scold:

Ian Mackenzie
07-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Try reading that post again.

:o

Actually they are interesting parties, from time to time. the who's who of audio, nice flirty woman...tut tut...your just jealous...LOL.

Actually, there may have to be a gathering of Aussie forumites for " A Pour Out" when it arrives.

Ian:band: :cheers:

Figge
07-08-2004, 05:48 AM
rated power on the pss600?

PSS AUDIO
07-08-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Figge
rated power on the pss600?

PSS600 = 300W/4ohm + 300W/4ohm
PSS1200 = 600W/4ohm + 600W/4ohm
PSS2400 = 1200W/4ohm + 1200W/4ohm

Please read all technical characteristics: http://www.pssaudio.com/english/amps.htm

PSS AUDIO
07-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
Yuri is making me a custom PSS 600 for my mid application!

This I have very good feelings about, because I already know the tonality of his amp through the mids! And the amp will be optimized for exactly what i am doing with it! His amp has that smoooooooooth tone through the mid band!

This custom amplifier is an evolution of one of the studio amplifiers I am working on since 3 years time from now; all our “regular” power amplifiers taking benefit of all my investigation.

This amplifier has the following characteristics:

Same box and PCB (MKII +; Scott received an MKII one) that a PSS600 or 1200,

2x150W at 4 ohms
2x120W at 6 ohms (as it will be loaded by 3 2441)
2x100W at 8 ohms

40 000MF per channel
2x 400VA round transformer (same VA used for a PSS600).

Upon Scott’s request we will add binding posts, set the input sensitivity at 1V and remove the balanced IC (it can be placed back when ever you want, you will have to remove a wire link bypassing the balanced input stage).

I am happy that the PSS1200 Scott is testing is very smooth, as Scott says it is smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

I intended such a warm sound as almost all amplifiers you can hear today (transistorised amplifiers) not only gives you pain in the neck listening at them for more than 10 minutes!

Unless the recording is bad, you can listen at high SPL PSS amplifiers, never will your ear get tired and damaged in any case.

And they have a lot of personality too, they sound well with the right tonality!

MKII- vs MKII:

Deeper and more defined bass (perhaps what Scott was complaining a little);
Warmer low mids;
Mids more precise and even more present;
Mids less shinny, if ever they were with the MKII board: I would say more graceful;
A greater stereophonic image where sound is not only coming from the speaker area only: imagine that the stage is located between Los Angeles and new York and goes as far Alaska and of course up to the sky!

Ian Mackenzie
07-19-2004, 04:46 AM
I called Billy this morning,

The amp should arrive some time next week.

They appear quite enthusiastic about a hifi version.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
08-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi Ian,

That sounds like a great idea, because I would be interested in reviewing it.

If you could forward it to me after you've finished, that would be
great. The address is:

Greg Borrowman
Australian HI-FI Magazine
Horwitz Publications
Level 5, 55 Chandos Street
St Leonards, NSW 2065.

I am interested in how and why you came to be reviewing the product, and suggesting further reviews.

Regards,

Greg Borrowman
Editor
Australian HI-FI Magazine

Ian Mackenzie
08-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Greg Borrowman is highly regarded is the industry so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Ian

PSS AUDIO
08-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Ian,

I hope you will soon put your hands on this amplifier!

Can you please let us know why you are interested in reviewing this so-called "audio pro" amplifier while you are an audiophile user?

It is true that I think that so-called "audio pro" amplifiers are making noise rather than music that is why I try not making too much noise and more music!

Ian Mackenzie
08-03-2004, 04:00 AM
Quote""
"Can you please let us know why you are interested in reviewing this so-called "audio pro" amplifier while you are an audiophile user? "

I am not an audiophile user, I am a diy audio guy..but I like things that uses lots of power and make big JBL's sound nice...
LOL. I previously trashed my Phase Linears...the both of them, they were Pro vintage amps, not hifi by todays standards.

Pending how the PSS sounds, I am sure it will fit in quite nicely somewhere.

"It is true that I think that so-called "audio pro" amplifiers are making noise rather than music that is why I try not making too much noise and more music!"

I think any amp can be termed Pro audio.

Pro Audio can mean anything where equipment is used to derive an income or profit. It could easily be a hifi amp in record store or a home studio or a PA rack.

Its a case of the market and application the manufacturer distributes to and the packaging.

In the touring market segment the stakes are high for sheer power, low cost and weight because they are key F + B.

HiFi power amps are not uncommon in recording studios, Quad 405's, Thesholds, Chord etc.

Any seperates chassis power amps over 100 watts or so are often referred to pro amps, particularly if the have XL balanced inputs.

What goes on inside is much the same, you feed a signal and its amplified with voltage and current gain.

In the case of PSS, the focus appears to be on audiophile sound for the pro market. We will find out soon enough.

Ian

PSS AUDIO
08-03-2004, 04:13 AM
I am not an audiophile user, I am a diy audio guy..but I like things that uses lots of power and make big JBL's sound nice...
LOL. I previously trashed my Phase Linears...the both of them, they were Pro vintage amps, not hifi by todays standards.

Ian

Ian,

Let's go back a little, and remember ALTEC 9440, Phase Linear amps, SAE, and others...

All of them are dead by now; some were built for Hi-Fi use and used in sound reinforcement systems as they had a real sound quality others did not have!

I think that a restored 9440 amplifier (same for SAE) will sound great, even better than 95% of what can be sold on the market labelled as Hi-Fi, audiophile, professional or whatever one wants to name it!

Schematic is just the same one, an AB one, the choice of components giving, or not, the sound quality.

Prices dropped down since 30 years and manufacturing again those amps as they were designed will cost less than before and quite nothing more than what is generally sold by so called big names!

Ian Mackenzie
08-03-2004, 06:08 AM
There will no doubt be exceptions and the Altec is fine example.

I have not auditioned any pro marketed main stream power amps of current day technology in recent times so I can't comment or generalise either way.

However in my travels recently I did hear some fine QSC, Amcron amps used in JBL monitor system and they performed very nicely and to the owners expectations which is what matters.

I also heard a MacIntosh power amp on current SOA JBL monitors and consider it to be a superior power amplifer (IMHO)although they are more expensive so that is to be expected . This observation appears to be reinforced by a review in a current Amercian Audiophile magazine.

That said I heard a Halco at show and though it was over rated.

Anyway I never make judgement calls on equipment unless in my own system for a reasonable period. Even then its like tasting wine and often blending is the key.

Ian

Figge
08-03-2004, 06:14 AM
ian: any news on when the amp will arive?

Mr. Widget
08-03-2004, 10:14 AM

Anyway I never make judgement calls on equipment unless in my own system for a reasonable period. Even then its like tasting wine and often blending is the key.

Ian

So true! It really gets me when someone listens to an amp they never heard in a room they are unfamiliar with, listening to speakers they don't know, and a CD they've never.... and they say that amp was really....

Who knows? You must change one variable at a time and then there is still the system interaction "blending" to use your analogy.

Widget

PSS AUDIO
08-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
Who knows? You must change one variable at a time and then there is still the system interaction "blending" to use your analogy.

Widget

When I am asked listening at something, I refuse, as I do not know the room, the amp, the speakers, the CD player, the wires and perhaps the recording!

I am working close with an audiophile shop since 3 years and I begin listening carefully at their place since 6 months as I begin to have an idea of the room!

It gives me an idea of the quality of such and such brands, I like it or not (I must say that the owner of this shop knows by now my tastes and selects only what can suit me).

When I modify something in an amplifier I listen several tunes and record I know by heart and I am very sensitive to the slightest change (same room, same speakers, same wires, etc).

I spent 3 months listening each component of an amplifier to get a quite good idea on what I was playing with before making a semi final choice, and then went back again listening before validating something, if ever you can validate something as when you change a bridge you must listen at it with a specific transformer and capacitor, then change both items before selecting the bridge and same for all other components!

It is a huge work, and I have not THE perfect ear!

To get my job validated, I lend amplifiers, and sometimes I am said: your amplifier, pffff do not sound good because a b c d and I go back at my workbench!

Ian Mackenzie
08-21-2004, 04:52 AM
The PS600 is on its way for review to Greg Borrowman at Australian HiFi Magazine.

The initial reaction of Billy, our NET contact is "Excellent".

I will keep you posted of any news as it develops.

Ian

PSS AUDIO
11-11-2004, 05:32 AM
For those reading or understanding some French, you can read here the latest test bench about a PSS600:

http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/BESONO-ACH-6009DMKII-2004.ZIP

Ian Mackenzie
11-14-2004, 04:30 AM
Base on an email response from Aust HiFi magazine we should see a review soon enough.

Ian;)

PSS AUDIO
11-14-2004, 05:48 AM
Great!

As they have it since about 3 months, does it mean that they enjoyed it that much?

If ever you know something about it, please let us know…

PSS AUDIO
12-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Good evening!

While waiting Robs paper, and others, an English HiFi end user just posted his review about his PSS amp (http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33)!

I hope it will help you making up your “mind”.

Ian Mackenzie
01-25-2005, 02:51 AM
Yuri,

An email response from Greg Borrowman advised the sample amp has been send back to NET. I will call Billy on Thursday (public holiday Wednesday) and arrange shipping so I can evaluate it and write up a review.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
02-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Well it appears there is some confusion over the where abouts of the amp .

Neither Net or the Magazine claim to have the amp at the moment.

Perhaps Yuri can enquire about the status of the PSS600?

Ian

PSS AUDIO
02-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Gone with the wind!

I'll wait the magazine review, if ever something is printed about this PSS600.

Yes, I am fed up waiting that Giskard takes some time hooking the PSS1200 to his system, Rob informing us how this amp worked at his place, Scott paying me the one he ordered (the application form he provided has no value, he is unable providing me with the reference of the transfer and bill is unpaid since last October).

I’m loosing time and money.

I quit this place, enjoy yourselves, without me.

Useless writing me or phoning me.

PLEASE CLOSE MY ACCOUNT

Ian Mackenzie
02-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Oh no.....

Yuri your not leaving us yet!

Yes I understand your frustrations.... "But down here when we say we're gonna do something it does happen." You might have guessed that by now.

I can tell you is a review has been done and I assume from the time he had it he must have like it. I will call Greg Borrowman myself in the morning to see if I can find out more about the review and current schedule to publish.

I have called Billy twice since Christmas to chase up the amp as I was told it was returned and we have arranged for one of his local rep's to deliver it.

If Billy can get the amp down here this week I'll start reviewing it immediately and promise to publish a full write on the Forums by the weekend. We also have some other JBL buddies down here who I think would like to audition it.

Please Pm me if you wish to discuss further.

regards

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
02-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Just a note to advise I have investigated the situation regards the review of the PSS 600 here in Australia.

The amp has been located and the reaction by the reviewer is most favourable.

I trust I will have the amp in a near future and plan to a provide Lansing Forum Members detailed subjective account using several systems incl L100 and 4345 JBL monitors. If other local forum members wish to evaluate the amp this will be arranged.

No doubt Yuri will be pleased with this turn of events.

Ian Mackenzie:coolness:

Ian Mackenzie
02-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Sounds like the amp could arrive this week.

According to the importer getting stuff that back of a reviewer that good can take a bit of doing......that's understandable.

Ian

EDIT: Had an email response that the importer NET will have the amp back today so with any luck I may have the amp by weeks end.

Ian Mackenzie
03-07-2005, 06:40 PM
AT LAST : THE AMP WILL ARRIVE TOMORROW!

I just got of the phone from the importer and I shoud have it tomorrow.

The plan is to post some images of the amp close up of both external and interior (and those annoying connections that appear to be a road block for some.) and then trial it for an initial impression.

I will then conduct an extended review using known JBL monitors operating full range and in biamped mode. If the possibility arises I will also compare the amp to other professional and domestic hifi amplifiers.

Ian

Mr. Widget
03-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Excellent!:thmbsup:

Ian Mackenzie
03-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Its also timely that I have located a 2245 woooooofer in absolutely mint conditon to replace my unhealthy Doooorgy (as Robert would say).

Ian

Robh3606
03-07-2005, 09:18 PM
"Its also timely that I have located a 2245 woooooofer in absolutely mint conditon to replace my unhealthy Doooorgy (as Robert would say)."

Geez Ian it's dawwwwgs for christs sake:banghead: Glad you found a new woofer want to see mine???? He's the little guy.

Rob:D

Mr. Widget
03-07-2005, 11:29 PM
That's no woofer. That's a yapper! You better get the wax out of your ears. :p

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
03-09-2005, 01:15 PM
I have the amp.

Another clean thread will be started for the review.

Ian