PDA

View Full Version : What's your kind of music?

Hofmannhp
07-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi all,

I want to start a thread with a theme, that's very interesting (I think).

Whats your favorite kind of music, also meant over the years of your music experiancies.
But pay attention........what you write, let's give some reflexions of your psyche :cool:

For myself's taste it's very easy:

I began in 1964 with my first (self) bought vinyl from the Rolling Stones. They follow my musical way till today.
Later in the '60s I heard: Beach Boys, Beatles, Who, Cream, Traffic, Led Zeppelin. (no chewing gum music)
The 70s began with Deep Purple, Pink Floyd....mid 70s with the Eagles, JJ Cale, also Soul ...James Brown, Wilson Picket, Otis Reading,
The 80s with Michale Jackson, Disco all kind, etc.
the 90s, my US travelling times: Garth Brooks and a lot of other stuff like this,
2000: also Country Rock like Faith Hill........and more Blues....the real one ......John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Albert King, Steve Ray Vaughn, BB King, Clapton, and a lot more
(Since 1980 on JBLs)

HP

Alex Lancaster
07-07-2004, 01:02 PM
HP:

About the same and:

Bob Dylan, Byrds, Animals, Johnny Cash, Joe Cocker, Janis, Melanie, Simon & Garfunkel (none of just Simon, Ugh), and lots others.

Concurrently: Bach, Vivaldi and Händel, mainly but lots others.

Alex.

boputnam
07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey, Hanspeter...

I was certain we'd another Thread on this, but I failed to locate it. Matters not. Always an interesting topic.

Widget burned me onto Annie Lennox' "Medusa" - a stunner, even if over produced.

I love anything by Lucy Kaplansky - particularly "Flesh and Bone" and "Ten Year Night", but that's 'cause I tend to wallow in Alt/Country... Her latest "The Red Thread" is outstanding. Check out her work as CryCryCry - we just started covering "Down by the River" to raging fan review at our New Mexico shows last week. Hmm-mm good... :yes:

But, one of my favorite sources has become, and remains, "The Loft", XM Radio channel 50. Mike Marrone and company are doing a phenomenal job. Pete Fornatelle - ex of WNEW-FM, NYC - has just joined, and the teams programming is tasty. Best, because you can recline with a glass of fine wine, and just let them roll it for you, commercial free... :thmbsup:

A very, very close second, and only second due to brevity of the morning programming slot, is Dallas Dobro's morning show on KPIG in Santa Cruz, at www.kpig.com (need RealOne due to RIAA royalties).

Robh3606
07-07-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm kind of a veteran cosmic rocker. But I will listen to almost anything. I started like you HP same groups more into the Moodies, ELP,ELO,YES, King Crimson,PFM, Nektar, Styx, Kansas, UK, Gentile Giant, Genesis, Asia, Alan Parons, Rennasance, Triumvirat, Queen defianately into progressive rock. Black Sabath,Neil Young, New Riders Purple Sage, Pure Prarie League, CSNY, Charlie Daniels, Mashall Tucker, Jethro Tull, Little Feet,Peter Gabriel, Strawbs, Steeley Dan, The Tubes, Billy Joel, Elton John, Chick Corea, Stanley Clark, Framton, Camel, Bella Fleck, Clapton, Joe Jackson, Frank Zappa and others too.

Rob :rockon1:

scott fitlin
07-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Ill second Stanley Clark, I love to play his cut Lopsy Lu as a system demo.

Dance music

Pink Floyd

Zeppelin

Some Big band

Louis Armstrong, especially the Louis and Ella duet, Summertime, Summertime!

Some Classical

Most Jazz

salsa, Tito Puente, El Gran Combo

And one of my personal favorites, Yanni. he is an extremely creative, one man electronic orchestra who does very dynamic music!

Figge
07-08-2004, 06:03 AM
mostly blues/rock´n roll. but also some 80:s metal iron maiden, old metallica. my personal favourite is roy buchanan. MAN the way he plays the guitar!!! to bad he aint with us anymore:(

Hofmannhp
07-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Robh3606 ( edited by HP)
.....I started like you HP same groups more into the Moodies, ...... Triumvirat, ......Mashall Tucker, Jethro Tull, Little Feet,Peter Gabriel, .....Steeley Dan, ...... and others too.
Rob :rockon1:

Hi Rob,

thanks for completing MY list.....Triumvirat....wonder that you know this german group.....I loved "sweetest sound of liberty" from the album Spartacus and btw. Marshall Tucker's tribute to Steve Ray vaughn.....great.

I saw live :
King Crimson in a small club
3 x Jethro Tull
2 x Genesis
3 x ELP
and some more

HP

Ken Pachkowsky
07-08-2004, 08:29 AM
I enjoy many of the artists listed above plus:

Diana Krall (Live In Paris) simply stunning dynamics on my Westlakes

Tom Waits
Robert Cray
Bobby Blue Band
Natilie Merchant
Tracy Chapman
Carlos Santana
SRV
Mark Knopfler
Larry Carlton
Lee Ritenour
Brian Ferry

Just to name a few.

Ken

morbo!
10-25-2005, 07:11 PM
wow
what a list
but i didnt see the blues traveller in the list
i especially like the album 4 if im not in a good mood
it takes u through a whole range of emotion and by the end of it leaves you ready to face the day and not giving a crap about what was worring you
cool sound but i suppose its not for everybody

morbo!
thats the recipe

rockin'rushmore
10-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Lots'o good tunes rolling around in here.Can't belive nobody's brought up The Allman Brothers Band:D good stuff!Live At Filmore is incredible,IMO.Just sounds right cranked on the JBL's.Some newer stuff is pretty good, BigHead Todd and The Monsters and John Mayer are two off the top of my head.But what about the older stuff?Head East(first concert:applaud: )Flat AS A Pancake album, love the bottom end on that one big and meaty!Tom Petty,ACDC,REO,Santana,:rockon1: the list is endless!Rock on!

morbo!
10-25-2005, 08:56 PM
we should start a new rockerz thread

Hamilton
10-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Anything except rap or hip-hop. :barf:

pelly3s
10-26-2005, 06:23 AM
I listen to so many different things in music. I recently picked up an album which is called Early Medieval Music up to 1300 and it is great. To me I cant even put together a top list because like in the movie Hi Fidelity I have to put it into top 5 lists for the situation.

I do have to say though that Rage Against the Machine and A Perfect Circle are mind blowing on a pair of 4430's. But there is nothing like Skid Row at a volume too loud to be in the room

yggdrasil
10-26-2005, 06:57 AM
I have been playing most what you have listed. But just a few keep returning to my CD-player:

- Pink Floyd, almost every album. I have serious problems with Piper at the gates of dawn and A saucerful of secrets.
- Roger Waters
- Nick Cave and the bad seeds.
- Portishead
- Madrugada (Norwegian)
- Kari Bremnes (Norwegian)
- Gotan Project
- Queen

JDG2
10-26-2005, 07:33 AM
Hello All, Always nice to see the music being brought to the forefront again.
Before I list the rest of my best let me say that special mention goes to Eric Claptons
tribute disc to Robert Johnson. I have never been a big fan of Clapton but this disc and the video which aired here recently on PBS are outstanding...Two Thumbs Way Up
best of the rest ...
SRV-any
Lyle Lovette-Step Inside This House
Big Head Todd & The Monsters-Sister Sweetly
Cowboy Junkies
Elvis Costello-King of America
Tragically Hip
Diana Krall
Muddy Waters
Popa Chubby
Billy Bragg/Wilco- Mermaid Avenue Vol.2(Guthrie Covers)
Joan Osborne
Patti Rothberg
..........Treadmill Fodder.............
Prong,Metallica,Pantera,New Model Army,Rage Against The Machine,AC-DC,Cult,
Skunk Anansie,Killing Joke,Screaming Blue Messiahs

gerard
10-26-2005, 10:48 AM
I listen mostly JAZZ AND rock .

Sonny rollins
John coltrane
miles davis
jackie Mc lean ( One of my preferate ):applaud:
phineas newborn
charlie mingus
eric dolphy
booker little
donald byrd

etc....

Mostly jazz between 1955 and 1965. Lp for the basics and now Cd for reissue I do not have .

Rock .

Bob dylan - Bob dylan - Bob dylan
Doors
Brian ferry
and all the calssical including csn - pink floyd-beatles etc...

Classical

Bach
and mozart opera

morbo!
10-29-2005, 05:23 AM
some classic oz rock that no1 has mentioned
splitenz (technically newzealanders)(cant find a sheep emoticon)
men at work
and the hoodoo guroo`s + many more i cant think of atm
all had a distinctly aus sound
but was pretty good
p.s the band down the road is having a party tonight was out in my back yard listening to them they do rock and also a irish pub rock thing when his wife gets on the violin and fiddles the hell outta it, they all work and only do it for fun but should be getting paid big $$$$$$$$$$
chilli peppers blood sugar sex magic(this and blues traveller are the only full cd`s i listen to at the moment)plus war of the worlds cd

morbo!
got to post an mp3 of these guys if they let me. its all there own original music

Rusnzha
10-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Oblivion Express
Santana
Weather Report
Return to Forever
Brand X
Passport
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Albert King
Jean Luc Ponty
Crusaders
Steely Dan
Flora Purim
Gabor Szabo
Hiroshima
Martina McBride
Wayne Shorter
Faith Hill
Phyllis Hyman
Respighi
Styx
Beethoven
Seawind
etc.

Got my first JBLs in 73 -- 88Ps -- Everything sounded better!

Jakeisuseless
10-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Remember, I'm young.

The Arcade Fire (Alt rock.)
The Beatles (The most important band in history.)
The Blood Brothers (Experimental Rock)
Chris Cornell (Alt rock)
Cream
Coldplay (Alt Rock)
Dave Matthews Band (Jam/pop)
The Decemberists (Indie)
The Doors (Classic Rock)
Elvis Costello (Pop)
Godspeed You Black Emperor (Experimental)
The Gorillaz (Brit pop/experimental/hip-hop/alt rock)
The Hives (Alt Rock)
Janis Joplin (Rock/blues)
Jimi Hendrix (Jimi Hendrix)
Joan Of Arc (Emo/alt rock)
Junior Brown (Alternitive Country)
Jurrasic 5 (Hip-hop)
The Kinks (Alternitive classic rock)
Meat Puppets (Alternitive rock/country/punk)
Modest Mouse (Alt rock)
Morcheeba (Trip-hop)
Mudhoney (Alt rock)
[The] Pink Floyd (Experimental Classic Rock)
The Prodigy (Electronica)
Radiohead (Experimental alt rock)
The Rolling Stones (Classic Rock)
The Red Hot Chili Peppers (Funk Rock)
The Sea And Cake (Alt rock)
Shpongle (Experimental Electronic)
Stereolab (Something.)
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble (Rock/Blues)
Stone Temple Pilots (Alt Rcck)
Sublime (Alt Rock/Ska/Reggee/punk/pop)
Ugly Casanova (Alt rock/indie rock)
The Vines (Post Grunge/Alt rock)
The Violent Femmes (Alt Rock)
Weezer (Geek Rock/alt rock)
The White Stripes (Rock)
Wings (Classic Rock)

But there really is so much more.... Really what is the point of rediulously expensive vintage speakers, turntables, cd players, receivers, amps, and for me, my computer without listening to good music?

chad
10-31-2005, 03:30 AM
Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, and tons of contemporary jazz / new age:

Spyro Gyra
Rippingtons
Yellowjackets
Neil Larsen
Kit Walker
Acoustic Alchemy

sdaniel
10-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Los Lobos - I am simply amazed they have not been previously mentioned. One of the greatest live acts going, and also very nice records. You must see them.

Little Feat- when I was in sound reinforcement, 'Time Loves a Hero' from Waiting for Columbus was the final sound check - gotta warm up those bass bins!

The Seldom Scene - Bluegrass isn't for everyone, and the lineup has changed to include only one original member since the loss of Duffy, but John Duffys vocals and the dobro playing of Mike Auldridge are tops. Find some older recordings, and if you are not keen on bluegrass proper, try the album 'Blue Ridge' with guitar master Johnathan Edwards (Sunshine Go away..) or single in on covers of 'the house of the rising sun' and 'walk dont run'.

The Who - The latest edition of ‘Live At Leeds’ is wonderful. 'A quick one / While he's away' is a simply amazing live recording. The band at their best. I can also recommend the latest pressing of ‘The Kids Are Alright’ – so much content, including an overhead camera on Keith Moon, and the option to listen to only John Entwhistle during ‘Wont get fooled again’.

Jimmy Page and The Black Crows Live at The Greek- Hard to find, I think, and a wonderful 'tribute' to Led Zeppelin. LZ and the Black Crows are not my ATF’s, but this album is a must have for anyone whose tastes are close.

I noted a few bands I will have to check out from your lists, Thanks for the leads! I was pleased to see so few of my most despised artists. Those that are so cheesy, silly, commercial or lame that sometimes, I leave the radio tuned on and just shake my head laughing.

Would a thread devoted to 'the worst' be too divisive? Or just too long!

Akira
10-31-2005, 05:08 PM
While I listen to a lot of different music, there are certain recordings that were made for JBL.
Baba O'Riely, The Who
Dark Side of the Moon
Crime of the Century
Asia
Yellow Brick Road
and most recently I've discovered the last bastion of high end music production...country! I can't believe the sound quality of today's country. The vocals are right up in your face. The sound field is so lush and full and the production is old school 2" tape. Acoustic guitars deliver exciting rich harmonics which naturally stimulate the ear. The drums kick; you can hear the snare snap right out at you from your 10" mids, and the toms decay in the distance like rolling thunder...Jo Dee Messina, Bye Bye (Greatest Hits)
I'm not even a fan of the music...I just get off on the sound...next, Celine Dion !#%*$!!:blink: :banghead:

morbo!
11-01-2005, 12:29 AM
awsome
i luv jethro tull
im surprised i wasn`t raised on it
My mother bieng a stupid hippie(they got alot to answer for)
and my step father bieng more of a rocker im suprised this wasn`t a happy medium.
morbo!
P.S PROLLY MORE THANKS COMMIN AS I FIND MORE MUSIC I LIKE
and i found a new song i like the (gorillas feel good inc)thanks for listing that the britts can make a propper recording

morbo!
(my god ) thas the best thing i ever heard lol close

morbo!
11-02-2005, 11:50 PM
oh and
sire straights the SULTANS OF SWING very cool:cool: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=6#)

Magnet3
02-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Simply put....anything except rap! :dancin: Especially classic rock....

Titanium Dome
02-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Where did you go?

JBLnsince1959
02-15-2006, 05:51 AM
Simply put....anything except rap! :dancin: Especially classic rock....

agree....

hapy._.face
02-15-2006, 07:08 AM
I like just about anything of quality- no matter what the genre. My tastes are eclectic; You'll find Tool next to Aretha Franklin!! Some of my favortite artists (in no order) include:

Mississippi John Hurt
Muddy Waters
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Skip James
Grateful Dead
Jimi Hendrix
Perfect Circle
Leo Kottke
Django Rienhardt
John Coltrane
Bob Marley
Radiohead
Steely Dan
The Clash
Sade
The Future Sound of London
Pink Floyd
The Charlie Hunter Quartet
North Mississippi Allstars
Doc Watson
Allison Kraus
John Williams
Andre Segovia
Little Hatch
Travis
The Misfits
Joss Stone
Fleetwood Mac
The Police
Joe Satriani
Miles Davis
Babatende Olutunji
Anything on FAT POSSUM

Plus so much more....

I'm also a fan of the Putumayo CDs and the many wonderful artists involved. I also dig rare and unusual recordings. Also, the Smithsonian Folkways "on location" recordings of tribal peoples. Listening to those brutally raw adat recordings of tribal songs/percusssion will make the hair on your neck stand up!

Titanium Dome
02-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Listening to those brutally raw adat recordings of tribal songs/percusssion will make the hair on your neck stand up!

Look what it did to your face. :p

hapy._.face
02-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Look what it did to your face. :p

Look what it did to our dog:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/ameristalgia/sick%20puppy/sickpuppypics010.jpg

Rolf
03-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Hi all.

Yesterday I bought a very good Cd I believe many of you might like. It is from former member (35 years ago) of Fleetwood Mac, Jeremy Spencer. You might like it for two reasons, 1) The music, and 2) for the quality. I include a couple of scans from the sleeve so you can read a little by yourself.

Since this album is recorded at some small studios in Norway I do not know if it is available around the world. If you have trouble finding it, send me a pm and I can arrange a shipment to those interested.

Hofmannhp
03-10-2006, 03:42 AM
Hi all,

saw this week the 1970s movie "Zabriski Point" a for some members well known movie ....in his time with spectaculary sex scenes (today I know better :smsex: )

I love the music in most scenes
specially: the "sex scene" with Jerry Garcia's Guitar playing.....great
and Pink Floyds "never on vinyl" sold tracks .

Is this available ?

HP

Joao
03-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Hello HP

my favorite music is Bossa Nova and MBP (Musica Popular do Brasil - Popular Music of Brasil). Like as well Jazz and all kind from the good old days to the mid 70ies.

Joao

QwertyAccess
03-11-2006, 01:58 AM
everythin but country. rap i could listen to if someone plays it, but i dont ever really choose to play them. Alot of the kind of music i listen to are rumored to have damaged many speaker systems, (especially techno better turn down bass on the EQ :P)
I be a youngin of this forum, but yeah seriously these songs are dangerous for my vintage speaker, though i have l77's so maybe just cause it has a passive radiator instead of a vent :( which i imagine cant carry all that bass.

I want to get an L100 but finding one locally isn't easy for me. Honestly though i never even heard the L77's tweeters (no sound comes out for some reason, doesnt look abused or damaged at all just sitting in the garage for many years), i just use the LE-10's on it and i actually mix it with bose (yes they are crap, i didnt buy em and never will) satellites for treble (tiny room, so it works) Used what i have and im pretty happy with them now though i wish i could get different JBL speakers without a passive radiator so i dont have to worry about blowing that thing out of the cabinet.

JBL 4645
04-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Classical music: Mozart, Beethoven, Pachelbel, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Holst and Vaughan Williams.

Film scores: John Barry, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, James Newton Howard, and Howard Shore.

Pop: Madonna, Celine Dion, Enya and Jean Michel Jarre.

And most other music that sounds good on the JBL control 5’s and the JBL 4645.:)

JuniorJBL
04-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Lots of great music here!!:applaud:

One I have not seen listed is Rush. This was and still is one of my favorite rock bands. I really just like music. I am not so interested in some but I will listen to just about anything. I am mostly Jazz and Rock listening but I will try anything once!!;)

Titanium Dome
04-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Lots of great music here!!:applaud:

One I have not seen listed is Rush. This was and still is one of my favorite rock bands. I really just like music. I am not so interested in some but I will listen to just about anything. I am mostly Jazz and Rock listening but I will try anything once!!;)

I have Today's Tom Sawyer, and Red Barchetta permanently etched in my brain.

:rockon1:

invstbiker
04-26-2006, 08:24 PM
While we're on the RUSH subject, One of my favorite albums is "All the World's a Stage" 1976 Mercury Records. Especially like #8 "In the End" Very rarely heard today.

ALSO "Passage to Bangkok" rarely played on the air. My college daughter is there now on a school coop, then she goes to Tibet and Nepal. She's teaching English to elementary kids, I would be doing something else....AHH, the good 'ol days

JuniorJBL
04-27-2006, 07:16 AM
While we're on the RUSH subject, One of my favorite albums is "All the World's a Stage" 1976 Mercury Records. Especially like #8 "In the End" Very rarely heard today.

ALSO "Passage to Bangkok" rarely played on the air. My college daughter is there now on a school coop, then she goes to Tibet and Nepal. She's teaching English to elementary kids, I would be doing something else....AHH, the good 'ol days

:applaud:
I am a fan of it all but my favs are Caress of Steel A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres

terryblulite
04-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Started with Dad's homebuilt console.Solid walnut,TT,Channelmaster tuner and integrated amp,seperate walnut speakers with EV coax's.Why he let me plug a 30"scale Teisco bass direct into it is beyond adult modern reasoning:banghead:.Didn't seem to hurt it,tho! I was about 12 or so.I put on stacks of Hendrix,Cream,Steppenwolf,CCR,and the like-learned what it's like to play till your fingers bled,and play some more.Just ordered Sonny Landreth-Leveetown,heard a couple of tracks,gotta have it!I mostly listen to what we'd call "roadhouse rock'n blues".I can pull off most of Buffet's or Kim Wilson's of Fabulous T'birds vocals.Lot's of Bonnie Raitt and anything with slide or pedal steel in my collection.Clapton,ZZ,Robert Randolph,Little Feat,classic stuff from mid 60's to early 70's.I have lots of new and classic country and 80's spandex:barf:-to-current,but they're kept out of sight-out of mind.Might have to learn anything from Patsy Cline to ACDC.Ya gotta play it if they wanna hear it.....

HipoFutura
05-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Dark Side of the Moon has to be the most moving album I've ever listened to on a set of JBL's. Turn on the wayback machine and listen to the memories.

However, if you want to hear something completely different try "Cobra" and "Fresh Air" by Quicksilver. Very cool, for us old guys!

Ian Mackenzie
05-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Depends on the Day of the week.

On Sundays there's only one God and his Back...Jimi Hendricks.

And some Australian acoustic at its best.

http://www.acousticseries.com.au/FrontPage.htm

SMKSoundPro
05-14-2006, 02:33 PM
My wife and I LOVE:

Paul Anka - Rock Swings! Love the engineering. Capital Studio A.

Joey DiFrancesca - All of his work. (My father played a B-3 for 45 years till his death, and was a Hammond Organ Factory artist!)

Diana Krall - Live in Paris
The Tubes - Greatest hits. (Saw them live in Spokane in '84, too drunk to remember. 15 years sober this June!)
Quincy Jones - Back on the Block. WOW!
Kirk Franklin - God's Property, et al. Let's face it, today's house of worship will rock your pants off!!!
Brian Setzer!!! Give it to me interavienously! Even his Christmas concert dvd is fun.
Take 6 - lush. My Aerostar had a pair of 2235's in the back in custom made boxes. Got me laid everytime!

And really one of our most favorites...Bobby Caldwell!

Any Frank Sinatra with Billy May and his Orchestra, Or Count Basie.
John Williams and the Boston Pops.
Foreplay
Lou Rawls! Look out honey, I'm gettin ready now!(everytime)
Weather Report - Wore out the 8 track of Heavy Weather in my Channel Master stereo in 1977!
DONALD FAGEN! All Steely Dan! even wih Michael McDonald.
Earth,Wind and Fire.

I have been a Mobile DJ, and pro sound guy for almost 30 years. I have played disco and dance music to the throngs for a living and there is really some good stuff out there!

I am, and will always be a JBL man. Even with my old Dynaco Mark 3's that I built in high school, and they're still rockin!

Nobody listed Robbin Ford! Incredible player! Get "Talk to your Daughter" and listen to "Ain't got nothing, but the blues!"

jim campbell
05-14-2006, 06:42 PM
yes fresh air is quicksilvers finest moment.if you need a psychadelic fix try electric music for the mind and body ,country joe and the fish.every now and then i try to revisit the music that everyone seems to have but rarely play, doors, sgt pepper, early dead,etc.but i think that some of the best overlooked stuff is the stones beggars banquet,let it bleed,exile on main st and sticky fingers.not psychadelic but definitely the soundtrack for the era. have another hit dude.......................

AdamimAdam
05-15-2006, 09:51 AM
All the above! Plus
Yes
Blondie
Robin Trower
The Pretenders
Jefferson Airplane
and most recently Rafal Blechacz the Polish Piano Wonder, yes I said Polish

whizzer
05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Lately I've found myself listening to Charles Mingus at Antibe over and over again.
Lots of live King Crimson.
Practically anything written by Edgard Varese.
The Piano Works of Eric Satie, Aldo Ciccilini
Meddle, Pink Floyd
Side two, Da Capo, by Love--a precursor of the jazz-rock fusion to come.
Hey, I really like a Saucerful of Secrets and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn--where else can you find a title like Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun?

jim campbell
05-15-2006, 04:19 PM
which live king crimson and where did you find them.i have almost all of the cd's and 2 dvds;
neal jack and me
de ja vroom
in the court of the crimson king-1/2 speed master,japan pressing, regular pressing,24 bit cd,regular cd
wake of poseidon
starless and bible black
red
islands
larks tongues in aspic
lizard
dicipline,japan pressing cd
thrak
a young persons guide to king crimson
i would love to hear about any other stuff especially dvd thats out there.as you probably guessed the period with sinfield ,macdonald and the dicipline era are my favorites

hjames
05-16-2006, 03:57 AM
which live king crimson and where did you find them.i have almost all of the cd's and 2 dvds;
i would love to hear about any other stuff especially dvd thats out there.as you probably guessed the period with sinfield, macdonald and the dicipline era are my favorites

See - http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com/shop/
and http://www.dgmlive.com/

If you keep an eye on the DisciplineGlobalMobile store, all the fripp/crimson stuff comes available over time - I bought the whole series in mini-LP format when Fripp remastered them a few years ago - and there is a the Crimson Collectors Club series of "official" cleaned-up bootlegs that come available there from time to time.

jim campbell
05-16-2006, 08:55 AM
thanx a bunch heather,i will look into that.

whizzer
05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
neal jack and me
de ja vroom
in the court of the crimson king-1/2 speed master,japan pressing, regular pressing,24 bit cd,regular cd
wake of poseidon
starless and bible black
red
islands
larks tongues in aspic
lizard
dicipline,japan pressing cd
thrak
a young persons guide to king crimson
i would love to hear about any other stuff especially dvd thats out there.as you probably guessed the period with sinfield ,macdonald and the dicipline era are my favorites
You may already have these, but there is a two-disk live collection called
Cirkus, vol. 1--Neon Heat Disease, 1984-1998
Cirkus, vol. 2--Fractured, 1969-1996,
and there is this interesting collection:
Heavy ConstruCktion--3 disks,
and, of course, my all-time favorite,
Absent Lovers, live in Montreal, 1984.
And, finally, Heather's links are where to find a lot of good stuff, such as the 20th Century Guide to King Crimson, which features both live and studio stuff.
I've had good luck acquiring the live performance cd's in a used music emporium here in Maine called Bullmoose Music at a fraction of the normal price--evidently, kids buy it, don't like it, and trade it in. Their loss has been my gain.
As you say, the Discipline era was, in many ways, the most inventive and interesting in this band's long history--Tony Levin is one of my all-time favorite bassists--but it's all good!

morbo!
05-20-2006, 07:03 AM
Some good music i been listening too

sonny landreth -awsome bluesy slide thing
the radiators - the yankee ones not the aus band of the same name
david gray - cool vocals
perpetual motion by bela flek - classical banjo,chello ,violin
enigma - ambience +

all pretty cool stuff

morbo!
05-20-2006, 11:11 PM
oh and u might have a laugh ian
but im chasin a "frente" cd atm

i know but i like their style and sound!

terryblulite
05-21-2006, 01:39 AM
morbo! Glad to here there's another Sonny Landreth fan here....gimme a little tube amp,a small club,and let's make'em scream:applaud:...Give me live music anyday...