PDA

View Full Version : Best Capacitors for L300's?

sbjacob
01-12-2010, 12:42 AM
I am going to recap a pair of L300's what caps are the best and should the inductors be changed and if so what gauge should be use in the LF and HF ?

jcrobso
01-12-2010, 10:46 AM
http://www.parts-express.com/crossover-capacitor-index.cfm
The capacitors can dry out over time. The newer ones usually don't if they are the metalized polyester. Also consider use multiple caps to get the needed value. If you need a 15uf use one 12uf, one 2uf and one 1uf to the total of 15uf.
The inductors don't age, they are OK.

sbjacob
01-12-2010, 07:05 PM
http://www.parts-express.com/crossover-capacitor-index.cfm
The capacitors can dry out over time. The newer ones usually don't if they are the metalized polyester. Also consider use multiple caps to get the needed value. If you need a 15uf use one 12uf, one 2uf and one 1uf to the total of 15uf.
The inductors don't age, they are OK.
Thanks

rocks66ss
01-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm getting ready to recap my N1200 crossovers. I did considerable research on what brand of capacitor to use. As the purchasing agent for a large elevator company in Kansas city, I have considerable electronics vendors at my fingertips.

Illinois Capacitor is a brand of cap that is used in High End audio. I ordered them from Allied Electronics. You can find them on line. As mentioned you can put caps in parallel to achieve desired value, example I'm using 10uF a 2uF and a 1.5uF to get my 13.5 Do a little research and you can save some money by not buying your caps from business's that cater only to the audio world.

Rocky

sbjacob
01-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm getting ready to recap my N1200 crossovers. I did considerable research on what brand of capacitor to use. As the purchasing agent for a large elevator company in Kansas city, I have considerable electronics vendors at my fingertips.

Illinois Capacitor is a brand of cap that is used in High End audio. I ordered them from Allied Electronics. You can find them on line. As mentioned you can put caps in parallel to achieve desired value, example I'm using 10uF a 2uF and a 1.5uF to get my 13.5 Do a little research and you can save some money by not buying your caps from business's that cater only to the audio world.

RockyThanks I have in the past used Mundorfs , KimberKaps Clarity Caps and Auricaps on the HF and Solens with bypass caps on the LF