PDA

View Full Version : Avatar spectrumlab frequency response sub bass

JBL 4645
01-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Brought Avatar James Horner CD album yesterday from castle point HMV for £9.99 looks like a good omen if the numbers where turned upside down.:D

The first 2 minutes 04 seconds of track 1. You look at the spectrumlab frequency response from below as that is where the sound starts and ends at the top of the graph.

The signal is being sent from my AVR via the sub bass extension output to the pc spectrumlab.

Some nice low, low lows on the opening below 20Hz.

The beating of drums and the distant sound of voices sounds kinder Indian like, I would guess that is the Navi’s echoing voices. The rest of the score sounds like parts of Titanic Troy The Perfect Storm and Star Trek II the wrath of Khan with a few newish musical ques.

If I had heard this on the radio late in the listening I would say that’s James Horner because the composer has signature style on all, his fine works of music even if one says that’s Star Trek II.

You’d need a good sub or few with good response that’s going to reproduce the range within 10Hz to 20Hz.
I’ll continue to monitor Avatar on spectrumlab for the lowest of lows thou I don’t expect it to go too far below 10Hz thou there is tiny part around 6Hz.

JBL 4645
01-07-2010, 07:11 AM
While monitoring Avatar there are parts that have small tiny amounts reaching below 10Hz down to 2Hz but rather faint.

The pan pips sound appropriate to the forest world with clapping percussion and sting moment in track 2.

A small sample of track 2 frequency response this is the middle near to the end of track 2. Its got good musical production mix by scoring mixer Simon Rhodes.

JBL 4645
01-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Track 3 has nice tonal deepness I wonder if this can reach down any further because those drums at 16Hz look menacing. This is near to the end of track 3.

JBL 4645
01-07-2010, 07:55 AM
No that is not typing error track 4 didn’t impressive me that much as track 5 did.

JBL 4645
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
More from track 5 very impressive most impressive those drums beat very loud!:bouncy:

JBL 4645
01-07-2010, 08:21 AM
A few moments in on track 6 sounded like Mighty Joe Young meets Titanic I can’t help myself from noticing this? Other portions of the tracks sounded like A Beautiful Mind. Thou it would be impossible for the Avatar soundtrack score to overlap those previous scores transparently. "Avatar is Avatar".Until the next score comes out and someone says, (that sounds like Avatar)? :D

The pounding beat of drums is nice thou very high on track 5 between the 30Hz 40Hz region.

JBL 4645
01-07-2010, 08:33 AM
I’m going to take a break as this is now painful on my ears! It’s like I’m hearing Deep Impact and Casper at the same time on track 6! I’ll do some more later on. My, cat as more personality than this score. :D I’m not saying I don’t like it, its just I’ve heard these musical notes before.

It’s like listening to déjà vu?:blink:

hjames
01-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Lemme get this straight - you're doing all these audio spectrum things you USUALLY do with DVD soundtracks but all you have is the soundtrack album?

And you're doing reviews on the Soundtrack ONLY and haven't seen the movie yet?

Ok - just trying to confirm my suspicions ... carry on.

JBL 4645
01-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Lemme get this straight - you're doing all these audio spectrum things you USUALLY do with DVD soundtracks but all you have is the soundtrack album?

And you're doing reviews on the Soundtrack ONLY and haven't seen the movie yet?

Ok - just trying to confirm my suspicions ... carry on.

I had the CD album of Apollo 13 a good 2 to 4 weeks before it opened at cinemas. And yes, I was hearing subtle parts of the score sounding like previous works by James Horner.

It’s the same with Jerry Goldsmith you can always (I can always spot part of the score) that says Star Trek the motion picture or parts of the score in The Ghost In the Darkness sounding like Congo.

And yes these are spectrum waterfalls showing the strength of the frequency response in the lower register.

hjames
01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Just saying, you ought to mention what your source is in the thread title - - Avatar CD - so folks know for sure its not the (as yet unreleased) Avatar DVD or BluRay Avatar

"Avatar Soundtrack CD spectrumlab Analysis (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=275014#post275014)"

instead of
Avatar spectrumlab frequency response sub bass (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=275014#post275014)

JBL 4645
01-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Just saying, you ought to mention what your source is in the thread title - - Avatar CD - so folks know for sure its not the (as yet unreleased) Avatar DVD or BluRay Avatar

"Avatar Soundtrack CD spectrumlab Analysis (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=275014#post275014)"

instead of
Avatar spectrumlab frequency response sub bass (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=275014#post275014)

Oh yes, yes I see what you mean. I still have time to edit the first post.

Its the same CD album I brought yesterday for £9.99. Its the same jacket artwork as I have pasted on the Avatar image.