PDA

View Full Version : Fave Fab Four Fest

SEAWOLF97
01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
So with the September release of the Beatles Remastered albums...some have shifted their order of preference ....

For me the best is a tossup 'tween "HELP!" & "Beatles 65"
(the Capitol US version of "Beatles for Sale")

Sure Abbey Road & Sgt. Peppers are great ...but so overdone

What is the BOB (best of bunch) for you ? Which do you mostly listen to ? :bouncy:
(and WHY ?? ..if you feel like it)

Robh3606
01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Hello Seawolf

I have always had a soft spot for the Help and Hard Days Night. I like the early albums myself. After them I like Rubber Soul, Let it Be and Abbey Road. Lot's of fond memories tied to them especially the early stuff and the Movie soundtracks. What a blast it was seeing them as a kid.

Rob:)

SEAWOLF97
01-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Hello Seawolf

I have always had a soft spot for the Help and Hard Days Night. I like the early albums myself. After them I like Rubber Soul, Let it Be and Abbey Road. Lot's of fond memories tied to them especially the early stuff and the Movie soundtracks. What a blast it was seeing them as a kid.

Rob:)

Thanx for the reply Rob ....nice to see that at least one other member has fav era Beatles ..

I watched the remastered DVD of HELP! not long ago ..in the extras, they mentioned that it was named "Help" , but ran into copyright problems ...so they capitalized it and added an exclamation point.

The movie was a treat , although silly , and looks like it was made yesterday ...the sound reproduction from 35mm film was better than the original recordings ....I had read the book from the recording engineer at EMI ..many of the early albums were done on 2 track , when he got 4 track , it was a great improvement in the process ....until then they used two 2 track machines synched together by one of the tracks , giving 3 usable tracks ...1 for vocals, 1 for instruments and one reserved for overdubs.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=271039&postcount=1662

It was interesting to read how they were a coherent , happy group at first...then by the "white album/abbey road/let it be" times , they were so angry that each member would come into the studio separately and do their bit and leave. :(

opimax
01-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Rubber Soul for me ! Only Beatles I had/have...Norwegian Wood

Mark

steven lakey
02-06-2010, 07:07 PM
rubber soul i want you/she's so heavy

SEAWOLF97
02-06-2010, 07:26 PM
rubber soul i want you/she's so heavy

good choices .....most all after the very first one are uniformly fine, but only parts of the "white album" ...put the whole thing on my pod and headed out on a bike ride......"Revolution #9" ....came on and I said "WTF" ??? My that got deleted fast.

Bremerton ??? Spent the winter of 1970 in your harbor yards aboard the USS Constellation , which I believe has retired there ?

Punch
02-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I finally got at least one of the remasters....I bought Abbey Road. One of the LH members recommended "The End" as a good song for dialing in a subwoofer. Ringo really sounds great.

I like the mid-60's the best...so "Hard Day's Night" will be #2 for me....not sure where I will go from there.

Thing We Said Today and If I Needed Someone are 2 of my favorite songs....

SEAWOLF97
02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Recently got the whole set on FLAC ...and burned them to the MD deck (ATRAC S) and have been listening to them at bedtime thru the HD580's...

There is enuff detail that you can hear the members giving each other audible cues during play.

Read the book abt Capitol Records & The Beatles....Capitol being owned by EMI had the right of first refusal to the Beatles songs.....they passed on the first bunch , which were then picked up by VeeJay Records...resulting in a big copyright mess.

Capitol really botched the Beatles in the US and picked and chose the tunes to put to a single album....one of their first line releases was a combo of 4 EMI albums....the play orders were scrambled, and EQ & echo were added.

But they did put "She's a Woman" and "I feel fine" on Beatles '65 ..where those were only UK singles until "Past Masters"

Krunchy
02-10-2010, 12:39 PM
:wave: Seawolf!
This is a fun thread, I'm kind of surprised more people have not weighed in.
A lot of people I speak to seem to disregard the Beatles these days but I still hold them in very high regard. I just think they dont realize how important they are in the grand scheme of modern music. A lot of their material sounds very cutting edge to me even now and God knows we have not seen talent like this in many moons.
Dont really like a lot of their really early stuff but dig a lot of their later offerings.
Its hard to say which are my favorite albums (there are so many) from them but Revolver is at the top of the heap. Rubber soul is great, White, Yellow Sub, Let it be, Abbey, Lonely Hearts, Magical Mystery.

These guys had it all, I mean, how many hits can one band produce :applaud:
And they could Rock out to boot!

my2c

Punch
02-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Do you all remember the year 2003? Seem like yesterday? The Beatles entire library was recorded in just over 7 years. THAT is amazing.

They changed the face of music.

jcrobso
02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Played that in a band, it is a fun song to play, still play it today!:D
Yes, Capitol records made a mess for the first Beatles release.
They recorded vocals on one and the instruments on the other track of the tape. It was suppose to be mixed down to mono, Capitol released it as a stereo album, with vocals on the left and instruments on the right.
I agree the mid '60s were the best, I lost interest after the white album.

WDJ
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Rubber Soul and Sgt Peppers. Saw Ringo a couple of years ago in Dallas. Couldn't afford to see McCartney.....

My father reminds me that I wanted to watch Lassie when they were first on Ed Sullivan.

Been thinking about buying the recently issued CD/DVD set.

voice of theatr
02-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Just noticed this cool thread--I consider the Beatles to be the best rock band of all time. I own all their vinyl, cds, and DVDs as well as most of their solo stuff (much of which is very underrated). I have trouble picking favorite Beatles albums--depends on my mood that day (week, etc.) and there are so many great ones to pick from. Even tougher task--picking favorite Beatles songs for the same reason. But today, for whatever reason, the songs "Rain" and "Hello Goodbye" are stuck in my head--2 of my favorites (today)......

Punch
02-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I can see that, and I agree 100%. Even though the mid-60's is my favorite, I think it really depends on my mood, and that is the great thing about that band....

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Thing We Said Today and If I Needed Someone are 2 of my favorite songs....

Some of the standout singles for me ..and I'm forgetting so many..:(

Things we said today
I saw her standing there
No reply
I feel fine
Day Tripper
She's so heavy
great vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSnw1JaL2uA
Something
Because
I'm looking thru you
Blackbird
While my guitar gently weeps

you know...looking back at that list...many were George's tunes.
and I REALLY enjoyed "All Things Must Pass" (at least the first 2 disks)
but the later GH stuff..not so much.

Punch
02-11-2010, 09:24 AM
George was my favorite Beatle, and "Something" is on my list as well...Elvis even covered it which says a lot about that song. He sang it on that ginormous Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite concert.

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2010, 09:39 AM
George was my favorite Beatle, and "Something" is on my list as well...

I watched "A hard Days Night" couple of weeks ago....GH's teeth really needed some work, hard to believe that so far into his career and that still wasnt taken care of.

The book that I read by EMI's dedicated Beatle engineer noted that GH & RS were both lacking in confidence and would rehearse their short solos for days.

Just saw "Magic Christian" (thanx HJ) and it's a destitute Ringo being adopted and schooled in the ways of life by the ultra-rich Peter Sellers. PM wrote the Badfinger theme for the movie "If you want it , here it is..come and get it , but you better hurry cause its going fast , you better hurry cause it may not last"

Punch
02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I watched that too and I noticed the same thing. I used to live outside of London (Surrey), and I think it was just a cultural thing. They did not put emphasis on dental care....George's were the worst though.

The network gave HDN 4-stars (the highest) and the acting actually was not bad.

SEAWOLF97
10-31-2011, 05:10 PM
read recently, somewhere that "I saw her standing there" is considered a great PUNK song by those who appreciate that genre ... :dont-know:

lgvenable
10-31-2011, 06:57 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pM3PVzDUCY

I always thought the Abby Road medley had a little bit of several different styles, all rolled in a solid 17 minutes.

From the moment I received the album as a Christmas gift in 1969 at 16 years old to now; there are very few sequences to songs which hold up to it; it will always rate as one of my favorite sets to listen to.

“Sun King/Mustard/Pam/Bathroom Window/Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End.” ;)

SEAWOLF97
10-31-2011, 07:38 PM
I always thought the Abby Road medley had a little bit of several different styles, all rolled in a solid 17 minutes.

From the moment I received the album as a Christmas gift in 1969 at 16 years old to now; there are very few sequences to songs which hold up to it; it will always rate as one of my favorite sets to listen to.

“Sun King/Mustard/Pam/Bathroom Window/Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End.” ;)

its funny you should say that ...I've always subliminally equated that medley with the masterpiece "Rhapsody in Blue" ....both abt the same length , a mashup of many style changes that somehow work out to a stunning/memorable work.

1969 ? I was in a different world, listening to Kasey Kassem's top 40 on AFVN-AM ...didn't even know of the moon landing til a long time after the fact..:blink:

was listening to "She's so Heavy" yesterday...still holds up for me ..:)

lgvenable
10-31-2011, 09:27 PM
its funny you should say that ...I've always subliminally equated that medley with the masterpiece "Rhapsody in Blue" ....both at the same length , a mashup of many style changes that somehow work out to a stunning/memorable work.

Gotta love the clarinet and Piano in Rhapsody in Blue... I grew up on a mix of pop and classic music. My brother bought and I helped build a Heathkit stereo when I was 9 > he exposed me to it all. Somewhere out there I went way way past him into JBL Pro . He took a look at my setup and couldn't believe what he set in motion so long ago... :<)

lgvenable
11-02-2011, 06:56 PM
...didn't even know of the moon landing

the space program and the Amateur Scientist inspired me to build my own multi engine Estes unguided rocket designs with molded azide warheads triggered by an ammonium tri-iodate triggers.
Evil smile ;) in the 7th grade...Sometimes I cant believe I still have all my fingers.

SEAWOLF97
01-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Yoko Ono Talks About Other Beatles’ Resentment Of Becoming ‘Paul’s Band’http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/yoko-ono-talks-other-beatles-resentment-becoming-paul-204042501.html

Yoko Ono of 1987, who has come to us in a time machine to offer some thoughts less filtered by the passage of time. Her lengthy take on the breakup is a big chunk of a previously unpublished conversation with record industry mogul Joe Smith, which has just been made available as an audio file by the Library of Congress (http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/joesmith/).

Smith, the former president of Capitol/EMI, conducted interviews with hundreds of top artists for his 1988 book Off the Record: An Oral History of Popular Music. This year, he donated unedited versions of those quarter-century-old recordings to the Library of Congress. At their website (http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/joesmith/), you can listen to his conversations with musicians including McCartney, Harrison, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Little Richard, Elton John, Ray Charles, Woody Herman, Barbra Streisand, Billy Joel, B.B. King, Sting, David Bowie, and about 200 others.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/joesmith/

SEAWOLF97
01-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Newly released recordings reveal Beatles before they inspired mania
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/jan-june14/beatles_01-01.html