PDA

View Full Version : Help Modifying 846B Crossovers

Paully
01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Hello, my first post. I am not terribly technical though I can solder. I bought a pair of Altec 846B Valencias to possibly replace a pair of Klipsch I have. I was thinking about updating the crossover and have been reading. I want to make sure I have my information correct. The crossover seems like it can benefit from updating the capacitors. From what I have read the values are 8 and 21ufd. General opinion is the inductors are fine and can be left alone. The potentiometer can be replaced with an L-Pad but I have to be honest, I have no idea what an L-Pad is, what the difference is, where to get one, or why the pot should be replaced, if it even should. If you have any suggestions (and links to actual parts really help if you have those suggestions) I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks for reading my long-winded post and any help is greatly appreciated.

jcrobso
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-metallized-capacitors.cfm

For the 8uf use 7.5uf and .47uf in wired in parallel, for the 21uf use a 20uf and 1uf wired in parallel.

Zilch
01-06-2010, 12:59 AM
I believe 846B used an L-pad, not a pot.

You have the correct values for the capacitors.

The inductors are both 1.75 mH.

When you're done listening to that, put GPA 902-8A HF drivers and Model 19 crossovers in them.... :yes:

Paully
01-07-2010, 06:26 AM
All right, I have the most important bit of information right, the value of the caps. And thanks for the suggestions, I probably will skip the inductors but Great Plains drivers are always a possibility. The Model 19 crossover I had seen as a suggestion elsewhere so also a thought. Thanks!