PDA

View Full Version : 806-8A blown diaphram???

Poprocks4u
01-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi everyone! This is my first post.

I picked up a pair of 846B's Valencias carrying H811-B Horns with 806-8A drivers, N800-8K Network. Both woofers (I believe they are 16") worked but one of the horns didn't. Upon disassembly, I found that the input wires (black and red) were "switched" on the horn that wasn't working compared to the one that was.

I switched horns and the "good" horn worked in both cabinets indicating (to me, at least) that the problem was in the horn driver.

I disassembled the horn driver and found one of the thin, narrow ribbons connecting one of the terminals to the diaphram had broken.

My question is, can this connection be repaired (is this a "blown" diaphram") or do I need to buy a complete new diaphram. If it can be repaired, where can I get it done? If I need a new one where can I get one.

Thanks

sba2
01-02-2010, 09:01 AM
GPA will install a new diaphragm and recharge the magnet for around $95 + shipping.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

Poprocks4u
01-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks sba2,

That's less expensive for than the other place I found and they didn't include recharging the magnet.

robertbartsch
01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
PGA has the original Altec tooling, so use them.

I would recommend doing both HF drivers in your pair at once. This is standrad practice for old frames.