PDA

View Full Version : Altec 19`s tangerine plug?

tube_glow_audio
01-01-2010, 11:24 AM
I just bought myself a pair of minty!! one owner pair of altec 19`s now i have 2 pairs. My question is are the tangerine plug better then the regular ones? If i shine a bright light into the horns i see a silver metal thing that looks like it is has divided waves in them and looks like orange tangerline colour around the outside. My other ones do not have this?? what is better??

speakerdave
01-01-2010, 02:34 PM
If you have them both, have a listen and let us know!:)

John
01-02-2010, 03:07 AM
All versions of the model 19's had tangerine plugs in the H.F. drivers.

If one of your pairs do not then someone was messing with them:(

rontec
01-02-2010, 11:14 PM
I looked into the horns on my 19s with a flash light and can see the tangerine phase plugs. I think I read once that if you are not using the phase plugs then you should try connecting your speakers out of phase. That is to reverse the polarity on the horn driver. Anyone else hear of this...?

spkrman57
01-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I looked into the horns on my 19s with a flash light and can see the tangerine phase plugs. I think I read once that if you are not using the phase plugs then you should try connecting your speakers out of phase. That is to reverse the polarity on the horn driver. Anyone else hear of this...?

Maybe it was a different system.

Phase plugs alone should not cause a phase shift.

Ron sends...

Tom Brennan
01-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Maybe it was a different system.

Phase plugs alone should not cause a phase shift.

Ron sends...

There's a knothead over at Audio Karma who says his 802-Gs sound better since he pulled the phase plugs out.

speakerdave
01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Gets rid of those irritating high frequencies from his electronics, maybe.

DavidF
01-04-2010, 09:35 AM
I just bought myself a pair of minty!! one owner pair of altec 19`s now i have 2 pairs. My question is are the tangerine plug better then the regular ones? If i shine a bright light into the horns i see a silver metal thing that looks like it is has divided waves in them and looks like orange tangerline colour around the outside. My other ones do not have this?? what is better??

The Tangerine phase plug is orange but may be difficult to see clearly if the metal bug screens are in place. The screens keep out debris and are located outside the phase plug which is likely what you see looking at the drivers through the horn.

jcrobso
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
The phase plug is use to make sure that the sound from the different areas of the diaphragm arrive that the throat in phase! With out a phase plug the HF response of the drive would be very bad.

voice of theatr
01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I just shined a flashlight in the horns on my model 19's and I can see the tangerine "slices" shape in the throats and it does seem to have a slightly orange hue behind the screen....

senor_mouse
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I just shined a flashlight in the horns on my model 19's and I can see the tangerine "slices" shape in the throats and it does seem to have a slightly orange hue behind the screen....

Tangerine Phase plugs extend the highs and also is a way to get rid off the turbulence in the throat . Theres a nice paper on it somewhere in the web . Some people take away the screens . some report good results .