PDA

View Full Version : Less is more sub bass power!

JBL 4645
12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Ever noticed that your amp with active crossover and the amp is pushing more than you really need for some parts of the low frequencies?

Play a sine wave with SPL db metre and move it from side to side over the sofa at certain lows the pressure of the sound remains fairly constant! Others not so constant within a few db they wonder far apart!

But you might notice that the amp is pushing too much on the barograph display!

Not a good idea to run the amp too high into near clipping when playing such and such music/movie.

:xmas::tree:

Allanvh5150
12-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi Ash. Alot of the time there is content in the soundtrack that is way lower than the design frequency of the box. The speaker will flap away but produce no sound and they will eventually kill themselves. Many active crossovers do not have high pass filtes built in. These are most important in subwoofers. They will also give your poweramp alot more headroom as well.

Allan.

JBL 4645
12-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Morning Al

Yes agree. I’ve got a few words to say and not sure which one of them I’d like to post. I’ve already typed them in (word). I’ll muck around a bit more and see, what I can hammer out of this.

I’m trying to get less power without the need to running the Alesis RA300 at silly level.

Lows around 20Hz up to 45Hz then it goes down into the dip and then into (the null zone) which we all have in our rooms. Then back up again and then Wham! a nice leap and only less is need of it so the level of frequency needs to be brought down so it fits with the rest otherwise its not going travel smoothly onto the remaining LCRS speakers.

:xmas::tree: