PDA

View Full Version : Altec Model 19 tweeter question

montepilot
12-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello,

I am new to the forum and recently signed up because of acquiring a pair of Model 19's at the behest of a friend here in Boston, MA. I am looking ahead to add some tweeters and have a specific one in mind. I recently read of Jean Hiraga's recent new speaker based upon Altec technology. The review is on 6moons website. He has incorporated the JBL 075 tweeter which sits on top of the speaker. Can anyone tell me if this would be a good choice to try and mate with the Model 19's.

Thank you for any information you can supply.

Regards,

montepilot

rontec
12-26-2009, 03:35 PM
There are many that feel that a properly working model 19 is a very well balanced speaker and needs no additional HF drivers. However , if your model 19 seems lacking in the High Frequency range, you might first try soldering a connecting wire to the four ground lugs on the crossover board. Over the years oxidation builds up between the lugs and the board reducing HF output. Soldering a wire to connect the four ground lugs should restore the High Frequency levels.
Hope you can give this a try first and let us know if it makes a difference. (see recent thread "Altec Model 19 owners") It's a simple modification (it worked for me) and if you're still not satisfied, you can always add a tweeter later.

montepilot
12-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Rontec,

I have not taken possesion of my Altec's yet. I bought them from a person who is also an audio dealer in Florida. He is installilng some Nexgen WBT connectors to the rear of the cabinet to facilitate cable hookup. I am going to send him this link and have him perform this modification while he has access to the crossover. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Regards.

montepilot

louped garouv
12-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Rontec,

I have not taken possesion of my Altec's yet. I bought them from a person who is also an audio dealer in Florida. He is installilng some Nexgen WBT connectors to the rear of the cabinet to facilitate cable hookup. I am going to send him this link and have him perform this modification while he has access to the crossover. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Regards.

montepilot

to the rear of the cabinet?

is this reversible?

just my 2 cents, but perhaps the rear of the bottom stands would be better for long term value retention considerations?

rontec
12-28-2009, 10:56 AM
to the rear of the cabinet?

is this reversible?

just my 2 cents, but perhaps the rear of the bottom stands would be better for long term value retention considerations?

I would agree. There should be ample room on the bottom stands. And even though you still have to stoop down to connect speaker wires, at least you won't have to set the 19's on their sides to connect speaker wires!:)