PDA

View Full Version : jbl cf150 help

brett_s
12-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Hello,

I have a set of JBL cf150 speakers. I recently took the speakers out of storage after about 4 years of non-use. Upon start up, one woofer did not work. After further examination and testing using the technical manual I downloaded and my multimeter I determined that the problem was in the crossover circuit.

According to the technical manual I have, the crossover network/terminal cup part number is B6034154. Is this the correct part number and is this part available any longer? Is this a repairable part?

Any information you can provide to assist me with repairing my speakers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett Schmahl

dprice
12-26-2009, 08:38 AM
WWW.jblproservice.com (http://www.jblproservice.com) is one place to look. I didn't find the part number you were looking for...but I only spent 30 seconds at at.

You will probably have to fix it at the component level.

Good luck!

Don

BMWCCA
12-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Here's a link to a technical sheet with the network schematic: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/CF150%20ts.pdf

Looks like there's a fuse in-line but it would take out all drivers. Are you sure it's only the woofer not working? Only about three other elements in the woofer circuit. You could always bypass the network to the woofer and run it direct to check it out.

Or yoou might want to swap the woofers side-to-side and see if the problem follows. :)

brett_s
12-27-2009, 10:27 AM
yep, it's just the woofer circuit. The fuse is before the junction point on the diagram and takes out all three ranges. I verified that the fuse is fine anyway. Woofer is fine, I swapped it to the good speaker, it works fine there.

I've got the schematic from this website, which was incredibly helpful. All resistors check out fine in the circuit, one capacitor is not testing correctly, but it's on the midrange frequency which is odd. I have no clue how to check an inductor except to check for continuity across them, which appears ok. All leads are ok.

Parts aren't available from JBL any longer.

I'm just going to send out the crossover to a speaker repair shop. I found a couple that are JBL authorized and appear to do crossover work. Unfortunately, it's the holidays so everything is closed. I've been eagerly anticipating getting everything back together for the last couple of months, and now I have to wait.

Can any one give their thoughts on the following vendors for repair:
1. Speaker doctor in NC
2. Orange County
3. Tri-state sound and light (the are near me)

What about taking the crossover to a local electronics shop? Are there any thing special about the components on the board, or as long as they have the same specs is it ok?

fslove
10-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I know this is an old thread but for anyone looking for JBL CF-150's I have 3 pairs being sold to raise money for the American Aid Foundation. Selling for $250 per pair and if someone buys all three pairs they get for free 2 Woofer, 2 mid-range and 1 tweeter replacement drivers (as well as two crossovers) which are original drivers taken from another pair of CF-150's I parted out.