PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with these L100's??

Cooljjay
12-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Well I was shocked to get a call from a local thrift store telling me they had some old speakers and receivers. And even more shocked to see they are jbl 100. I paid 13$ for 2 receivers and these L100's. I though the worst thing was the whole in the surround. After I got home and cut off the shrink wrap and bubble, I see more problems. :banghead: So to list the problems, missing grills, grill anchors broken off, one woofer surround has a hole, missing white coating on woofers, both tweeters dead, one mid dead, one pot keeps turning, and screw post missing on rear. Cabinets have stains and chips. Now I need help on what to do with them?? Worth the time and money to restore? Part them out? I am one that hates to part things but it needs to be done, I will grab the Kleenex box.

http://i47.tinypic.com/4j9wyp.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/16kvrme.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/5zeafc.jpg

Eaulive
12-22-2009, 05:58 AM
And I thought mine were in bad shape with their painted cabinets :D

Well, all these speakers can be reconed I think but I doubt it's worth the money.

My advice is that you put an honest ad on e-pay for the working drivers.

grumpy
12-22-2009, 08:25 AM
"Put another L100 on the fire.
Cook me up some bacon and some beans." ;)

As mentioned, there are some salvageable parts, worth more
than your $13.

macaroonie
12-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Your 2 woofs are working with no rubbing right ? If so the only issues are the damage to the surround and the 'cosmetic' issue with the aquaplas coating.
Can you post a pic of the woofer surround that has the damage please , it can poss be patched up. If so then why dont you consider doing a Zilch Econowave treatment ?
I cant recall the $$ but it is not a great amount ( $150 ? ) much less than messing with tweets and mids etc.
Since he is in Berzerkeley you need not incur postage.
It will need a little surgery on the cabs but nothing too difficult. After that fill the dings and re veneer or just paint them with Duraflex cabinet paint ( black )

Do a search here for Econowave and you will get the skinny

Good luck , Mac.

macaroonie
12-22-2009, 10:00 AM
My oops its at AK

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939

badman
12-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Save the woofers, give the rest away. White out can be used as a filler for the damaged coating. You'll want to run some impedance sweeps on those poor abused woofers to make sure they're not demagged or rattling.

Eaulive
12-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Save the woofers, give the rest away. White out can be used as a filler for the damaged coating. You'll want to run some impedance sweeps on those poor abused woofers to make sure they're not demagged or rattling.

Or demagnetized like one of mine :banghead:

JoMoCo
12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Perfect for an econowave project if they are beyond resoration...Your garage system will never sound so good:dancin::dancin::dancin:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939

badman
12-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Or demagnetized like one of mine :banghead:

Isn't that what I said? ;)

Frustrating to have just 1 demagged. When both are, Qts pops upward and they become useful as infinite baffle sub drivers (as long as you have a few of them, there's not a lot of Xmax).

Eaulive
12-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Isn't that what I said? ;)

Argh, I read "damaged"...my bad :o:

Frustrating to have just 1 demagged. When both are, Qts pops upward and they become useful as infinite baffle sub drivers (as long as you have a few of them, there's not a lot of Xmax).

Yes it's frustrating, I swapped it to the center channel so I don't feel as "unbalanced" :D

ROSSO
12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Save the woofers, give the rest away. White out can be used as a filler for the damaged coating. You'll want to run some impedance sweeps on those poor abused woofers to make sure they're not demagged or rattling.LOL - I thought I was the only person to do that! I use Liquid Paper (Office Depot). "White" is too white, and "buff" is too yellow. Maybe a mixture of the two?

Zilch
12-22-2009, 10:15 PM
L88's a better starting point, but with skill and diligence, eWaved L100s can rock as never before.

$220 per complete kit pair presently, including PC boards, waveguides, and USA shipping.

Unimaginably, there appears to be an emerging market for well-executed EconoWaves™.

If you don't want to do them, give me the cabs for prototyping.... :coolness:

badman
12-22-2009, 11:03 PM
$220 is the kit for waveguides, drivers, XOs?

Zilch
12-22-2009, 11:12 PM
$220 is the kit for waveguides, drivers, XOs?Yes, with XO boards and components; you have to assemble them yourself, though we'll do that with an upcharge.... :yes:

Cooljjay
12-23-2009, 12:49 AM
If you don't want to do them, give me the cabs for prototyping.... :coolness:

There yours, I am going to see if anyone wants them as project speakers before I gut em, when I gut em you can have the cabinets, I also have some jensen model 7? cabinets in the back yard if you need them for anything.

It just looks like the money I would have to put out in order to get these going would buy me a nice working pair with good cabinets

Eaulive
12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Yes, with XO boards and components; you have to assemble them yourself, though we'll do that with an upcharge.... :yes:

Man, that thread has over 500 pages! :blah:

badman
12-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Man, that thread has over 500 pages! :blah:

It's extremely difficult to find what you want since things like "polars" are discussed on so many pages.

It's taking less time to build geddes style waveguides than read through that thread :)

I have the JBL PTs, and will include them in my testing along with the ones I'm building and selenium HM17-25s. This is gonna take some work!

Zilch
12-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Man, that thread has over 500 pages! :blah:Yeah, we're a wordy bunch. ;)

Far and away AudioKarma's largest thread, it will race past a half-million views in the next couple of days. :)

I have linked everything essential to know from the first post; the rest is just a couple hundred of us learning stuff and having fun building EconoWaves.... :D

Eaulive
12-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I have two old Cerwin-Vega (I think) 18" here, and also two 2119, maybe I'll invent something to econowave them... next year :D

HCSGuy
12-31-2009, 01:17 AM
I don't know if this helps, but I was picking up a pair of speakers yesterday (Wed) from a guy in Stockton who mentioned he has a bunch of empty cabs, mostly L100's, including some that are pristine, that he's looking to get rid of. I don't know what he wants for them, but I can't imagine a clean set is worth more than $50 or so. If anyone's interested. let me know and I'll feel him up (figuratively speaking only) and see what he's got and how much he wants for them.

Not affiliated, so you'd have to work out something with him for pickup.

Cooljjay
01-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't know if this helps, but I was picking up a pair of speakers yesterday (Wed) from a guy in Stockton who mentioned he has a bunch of empty cabs, mostly L100's, including some that are pristine, that he's looking to get rid of.

Thanks for the heads up, he must be one of those hated flippers that parts out everything they can get their hands on. I don't like those people. I can't part anything out if its in restore-able condition. I ended up selling this to a guy for 160$ that was just getting into audio and couldn't find a pair of fair priced mint ones.

HCSGuy
01-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I hear you - I'm not thrilled about strippers/flippers either, but I do understand the logic - if you can buy a pristine pair for $400 or so, how much work would you put into fixing up some beaten ones, if the parts are worth $250 or so?

In my case, I buy the beaters for parts, buy nice ones for show, then buy another pair for parts (can't turn down a good deal), and soon I have a shop full of speakers, 1/3 are gorgeous, but 2/3rd's need some love, and I don't have time to refurbish them - I have to keep working to make money to buy more. :)

I need to either learn to refurb these in a time-efficient manner so that I can get rid of the extras (that would make me a flipper), or give up, pull the drivers and chuck the beaten enclosures (that would make me a stripper, I guess). I don't do L100's, but have some T3 series stuff that needs cabinet work, and I don't know the stain...

Maybe the acid test is if you sell someone a pair of L65 Jubals that need work for $500 and come back a week later, will he be listening to them or listing the 077's on EBay...

badman
01-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I hear you - I'm not thrilled about strippers/flippers either, but I do understand the logic - if you can buy a pristine pair for $400 or so, how much work would you put into fixing up some beaten ones, if the parts are worth $250 or so?

In my case, I buy the beaters for parts, buy nice ones for show, then buy another pair for parts (can't turn down a good deal), and soon I have a shop full of speakers, 1/3 are gorgeous, but 2/3rd's need some love, and I don't have time to refurbish them - I have to keep working to make money to buy more. :)

I need to either learn to refurb these in a time-efficient manner so that I can get rid of the extras (that would make me a flipper), or give up, pull the drivers and chuck the beaten enclosures (that would make me a stripper, I guess). I don't do L100's, but have some T3 series stuff that needs cabinet work, and I don't know the stain...

Maybe the acid test is if you sell someone a pair of L65 Jubals that need work for $500 and come back a week later, will he be listening to them or listing the 077's on EBay...

I'm in something of the same boat. I'm interested in the drivers. The overall system design for most of these is atrocious and not worth preserving.... for me. I do make sure to give the forum a chance at the emptied cabs, etc, if they want them. No takers on some well loved Lancer 33 cabs yet, I'll give the forum another shot then likely scrap 'em.

Zilch
01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm a taker on the L33s, if we can find an economical way to get them up here.... :yes:

badman
01-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm a taker on the L33s, if we can find an economical way to get them up here.... :yes:

That's the problem, the cabs weigh enough that boxing them up would take more effort than newer, better cab builds. They're simple boxes. Sure there's a grille etc, but they're painted white and pretty fugly.

Oh well. Maybe I'll throw something back in them and use them in the garage.