PDA

View Full Version : What's Playing Now

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

MJ Bing
09-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Brian Bromberg
"METAL"

Basses only

Michael says "Good stuff, Man" :D

richluvsound
09-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Scaned my Music collection I've noticed Jim and the boys are a little light. I went and bought the best of... Electra . The production sucks the big one .:banghead: !!!!

Can anyone recommend a recording that will stand up to the scrutiny of the 4345's post Mackensie tweeks and fiddles ?

TIA Rich

Titanium Dome
09-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Buddha Zen Trance: Nirvana Lounge: Soothe

richluvsound
09-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Buddha Zen Trance: Nirvana Lounge: Soothe
Ti,
If you like that you'll love Jens Buchert" Super Human" or "Rendezvous in Space" It does'nt pretend to be something its not . Full of clever structure and wonderful sounds . Blast it or chill it !!! it holds up either way . 5 star engineering too !

Rich;)

Titanium Dome
09-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Ti,
If you like that you'll love Jens Buchert" Super Human" or "Rendezvous in Space" It does'nt pretend to be something its not . Full of clever structure and wonderful sounds . Blast it or chill it !!! it holds up either way . 5 star engineering too !

Rich;)

Thanks for the tip. I picked it up off emusic tonight and will give it a listen tomorrow.

gerard
10-02-2007, 01:01 PM
I too use actually a Stanton 681 EEE with my 250 Ti

Very close to empire 4000 DI series .

Sound is very nice , great bass and not as clinical as today's cartridge !

Gerard

LowPhreak
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Right now, some bootleg video that a friend brought over yesterday of Traffic @ '94 Woodstock, (when Jim Capaldi was still alive). What a great performance musically and audio-wise, though the bass needs a boost (as usual).

:cheers:

Hoerninger
10-07-2007, 02:15 AM
The last night of the proms 2007
London Royal Albert Hall

The right music :), fine conductor :), great audience.
Transmitted worldwide. ARD Germany

whizzer
10-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Spirit: Clear.
Yes, yes, yes--I know that some critics consider this album uneven, and I know that "The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" is the piece of this band's work that made it onto the Rolling Stone 100 Essential Albums list, but I've always loved this "Clear" album for that very "uneasy tension of disparate elements" that some find so off-putting.

Hoerninger
10-12-2007, 06:04 AM
The Moody Blues
On The Threashold of a Dream
[SACD]

Ordered just like recently, it is so bizarr:

[ Contacted Amazon.de
ordered from Caiman Amerika
delivered from Auckland, New Zealand
- what a way ]

And this time additionally:

Disc made in Germany

oznob
10-12-2007, 10:24 PM
"Clouds in the Horizon", Walter Trout and Joe Bonamassa. Blistering guitar blues!:rockon1:

invstbiker
10-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Currently getting really involved in Churchs' latest album. Some really great background rhythm guitar licks and the Chicks' banjo and harmonies. JBL's lets one hear all the music parts!

Titanium Dome
10-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Ti,

Rich;)

Thanks for the tip. I picked it up off emusic tonight and will give it a listen tomorrow.

Okay, I've been through Hydra: Super Human a couple of times, and I'll say the second listen is better than the first. Not that the first was bad--far from it!--but there's a lot going on under the seemingly simple arrangements. A second listen and a bit of familiarity make for a much more complete experience. This is very smooth on the Performance Series.

I'm certain the third time will be even better.

Thanks, mate.

richluvsound
10-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Ti,

he reminds me of OMD. He certainly shows his roots, Tangerine Dream meets Jean Michel Jarre. Infact he uses a few Jarre samples.

Not everyone's cup of tea I'll accept that,but it sounds pretty sweet on the 2435/9800 combo bouyed up by some 2245 throbbing

Rich

SEAWOLF97
10-24-2007, 06:23 AM
was listening to some Dusty Springfield , wow , she had a great voice !!

00Robin
10-24-2007, 06:11 PM
was listening to some Dusty Springfield , wow , she had a great voice !!
I don't care how often,or how used 'Preacher Man' was,it STILL has that husky sex she sings so effortlessly. And I'm generally NOT a fan of women singers.

00Robin
10-24-2007, 06:19 PM
and....just a note,I was unaware that Billy Thorpe had passed away. At the time 'Elegantly Wasted' was thumping around prior to;shoot,what's his name's death,I was Billy Thorping like crazy in Montana....never heard of him until 97....well,I mean it was on the radio alot,Children of the Sun I believe it was and a very interesting story. At the time. I was doing a huge perennial and rock garden for some people in Butte and using their three year old's wagon unbeknownst to him with headphones on collecting rocks...

AdamimAdam
10-26-2007, 10:16 AM
ELO ZOOM DVD!

JBLOG
10-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Yea.

alskinner
10-28-2007, 05:23 AM
I don't know if there are many Folk Music fans out there, but this is one of the CDs (especially the track "Ain't No Reason") that I use to test and demonstrate my 4344 clones on. Talk about the "I am there" sound. Brett has a sound somewhere between Jack Johnson and Tracy Chapman. He has also toured with John Mayer.

whizzer
10-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Joni Mitchell's first new album in about seven or nine years--something like that--"Shine." On one level, it's nothing very new musically, but on another, it's sort of refreshing to hear a mature voice of great sensibility considering meaningful matters. Music for adults--aging boomers, specifically. The remake of "Big Yellow Taxi" is interesting, but it's no real substitute for the original. I don't think she's going to unleash anything like another "Hissing of Summer Lawns" on us, but I'm still hoping.

richluvsound
10-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I just came across these.

Dino Saluzzi. Very french sound. wonderful precussion. Takes me to Marsielles everytime I here it.

Arild Anderson. Fantastic horns , Double-bass and drums. Avant-garde Jazz meets Contemporary Classical without being weird for the bloody sake of it.

None of that neurotic Metheny/Medula conterpoint crap either, just solid musicianship.IMHO, beautiful music that really shines with JBL. Awesome Engineering. Heather will love this -I see Jan Garberek in her play list.

Transients you dont get on the EuroTrash micro speakers, more like headphones in wooden boxes:applaud:

Guido
10-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Transients you dont get on the EuroTrash micro speakers, more like headphones in wooden boxes:applaud:

Thanks for the tip Richard ;)

Titanium Dome
10-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the tip Richard ;)

Yep. He hasn't steered us wrong yet.

Meanwhile, Take Me Away, 4 Strings.

BMWCCA
10-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Darol Anger and Mike Marshall's brand new release "Woodshop"
http://www.darolanger.com/images/Woodshopbig.jpg

"Much of this recording was conceived as a twenty-year update and progression from the Duo's masterpiece Chiaroscuro, released on Windham Hill Records in 1985, which, amazingly, sold over 65,000 copies over a 5 year period. As we have both learned so much about life and music since then, we hoped to extrapolate on what became a lot of peoples' favorite intrumental recording. We wanted to make a musical "message from the frontier" that would reflect our present emotional, intellectual and spiritual selves.
Again, we have purposely created highly structured orchestral works, which would be difficult (but not impossible) to perform live. Again, we tried not to get too hung up on perfection but to communicate a vibe. And again, we wanted to showcase the glorious sound of our string instruments playing music in a space "big enough to do it in."
adapted from the liner notes by Darol AngerI just heard these guys live last week and what a treat! Their famous CD Chiarascuro was one of the first CDs I ever bought and it was my standard for high-line car-stereo installations for years. Always sounded great on the old 030s, too. If you like "new acoustic" or "contemporary string band" music—and even if you don't—their unique sound using the mandocello, guitars, violin and "chin cello" (violin strung to cello range) along with the backup of Todd Phillips on bass, Phil Aaberg (piano), Todd Sickafoose (upright bass), Michael Manring (electric bass) and Aaron Johnston (percussion) give a full presentation and a treat for your ears and speakers.

My copy came from the artists themselves, and they signed my old CD as well. You can read all about them here: http://www.darolanger.com/theduo.html and link to Amazon's CD information here (http://www.amazon.com/woodshop-Darol-Anger-Mike-Marshall/dp/B000PLCMLE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-3857978-0704853?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1193885576&sr=1-1).

JBLOG
11-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Timeless classics from the band that got their start in Long Beach!

LowPhreak
11-03-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't care how often,or how used 'Preacher Man' was,it STILL has that husky sex she sings so effortlessly.

We ALL need effortless husky sex sometimes. :applaud:

paragon
11-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Anyone remember this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u15PUATFy-8 ?:applaud:

Eckhard

BMWCCA
11-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Never heard of 'em.

SEAWOLF97
11-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I was in the mood for some old "Deep Purple" after hearing Hey Joe and its great lead-in on XM , so I took out my "Deep Purple's Greatest Hits" (Creative Sounds - yeah, cant even find that disk on the web)..ripped it and put on the pod....it was like good old vinyl days , the CD was mastered from a RECORD...not tape. Complete with pops and crackles....no wonder it was cheap :o: ( I think it was one of those 2 for $10 at Tower specials)

LowPhreak
11-11-2007, 11:41 PM
the CD was mastered from a RECORD...not tape. Complete with pops and crackles....no wonder it was cheap :o:

"The best things in life are free"

(or damned cheap). :bouncy:

Ducatista47
11-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Two guys from way back have surprised me with offerings better than I ever expected from them. I'd better revisit their later careers.

Ahmad Jamal Trio, from 1995. I Remember Duke, Hoagy and Strayhorn.

Herbie Hancock, River: The Joni Letters. With Wayne Shorter, Dave Holland and others. There are pieces with guest singers (all the way from Joni herself to Tina Turner!), and instrumentals. Out this year.

If you like jazz, you might enjoy these. They are decidedly heavier than the work these players are currently remembered for. Classically inspired jazz piano, and overall very thoughtful and spare. Turn out the lights.

Clark in Peoria

Rusnzha
11-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Ducatista47
Herbie Hancock, River: The Joni Letters. With Wayne Shorter, Dave Holland and others. There are pieces with guest singers (all the way from Joni herself to Tina Turner!), and instrumentals. Out this year.

This sounds very interesting. HBO (or maybe Starz) is running a 90 minute thing on a similar Herbie Hancock project involving a lot of interesting, but different collabarations. Watch for it. I plugged the cable box into my L100s and it was a lot of fun. Will get one or both of these soon.

whizzer
11-20-2007, 08:55 AM
The spoken word version of "The Jungle Line" on this album is amazing. The instrumentation is sparse, the effects well chosen. The overall effect is to allow the lyrics to be perceived as absolutely stunning poetry. I was filled with anticipation, primarily for Tina Turner's rendition of "Edith and the Kingpin," but found it disappointing--an overly respectful reproduction of the original voicing, lacking the fire and energy I associate with Tina--however, everything else is superb. Herbie Hancock is one of my all-time favorites, and I highly recommend this album.

SEAWOLF97
11-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Joni Mitchell's first new album in about seven or nine years--something like that--"Shine." On one level, it's nothing very new musically, but on another, it's sort of refreshing to hear a mature voice of great sensibility considering meaningful matters. Music for adults--aging boomers, specifically. The remake of "Big Yellow Taxi" is interesting, but it's no real substitute for the original. I don't think she's going to unleash anything like another "Hissing of Summer Lawns" on us, but I'm still hoping.

I saw her in late 68 or early 69 at the Eselen Institute in Big Sur....did not know who she was - just another act on the bill....but she just blew away the audience. Found out after the concert her name and picked up her just released 1st album...loved it. BUT,,really didnt much like what she has done after about her 2nd album. Just a little too artsey for me.

Titanium Dome
11-21-2007, 12:24 PM
I was in the mood for some old "Deep Purple" after hearing Hey Joe and its great lead-in on XM , so I took out my "Deep Purple's Greatest Hits" (Creative Sounds - yeah, cant even find that disk on the web)..ripped it and put on the pod....it was like good old vinyl days , the CD was mastered from a RECORD...not tape. Complete with pops and crackles....no wonder it was cheap :o: ( I think it was one of those 2 for $10 at Tower specials)

I can never get enough DP. I have those original Tetragrammaton LPs and the CDs made from them on Passport Records. Later I got some better CDs when in London on EMI Harvest.

Hoerninger
11-21-2007, 12:56 PM
DEEP PURPLE - they are young as ever, I like them:

First I rescued "DEEP PURPLE Made in Japan" from a scratchy LP to a CD. One of the best live concerts I have. (Next I get in mind "The Who live at Leeds". Their DELUXE Edition is sonically superior to the 25th anniversary edition.)

Recently there was released "DP Made in Japan the remastered edition". It is worth to buy. It sounds better than the Japan version with three CDs Tokyo, Osaka1+2.

Deep Purple Machine head is released as hybrid multichannel SACD. Not my favorit but I do not want to miss it.

Finally DP in rock anniversary edition, a reminiscense to my time of youth. Pretty good, so I do not fetch my LP.

NP: Speed King
OT: Today I got a notification (http://countrymusic.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/emmylou-harris-concert/38132-2180.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=071121) from Wolfgang's Vault.

Titanium Dome
11-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Recently there was released "DP Made in Japan the remastered edition". It is worth to buy. It sounds better than the Japan version with three CDs Tokyo, Osaka1+2.

:hmm: You don't say? I'll check it out.

Deep Purple Machine head is released as hybrid multichannel SACD. Not my favorit but I do not want to miss it.

I have the DVDA disc of Machine Head.

Finally DP in rock anniversary edition, a reminiscense to my time of youth. Pretty good, so I do not fetch my LP.

I've got the "signed" CD edition of "In Rock" with extra tracks. Might be we are writing about the same thing. Speed King is still one of my all time favorite hard rock compositions (minus the drugs and immoral behavior part, ha ha).

Hoerninger
11-21-2007, 10:34 PM
:hmm: You don't say?

So short and I do not get it. Even not with the help of my little friend ;) "pda.leo.org". Does it mean in this context not recommending?

All are good taken for their own, the Japan (Tokio, Osaka1+2)version has all concerts. The remastered version seems to have more highs.
Yes, "signed".

Titanium Dome
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
It's an English idiom which can be fairly straightforward or ironic.

As I used it, it's a straightforward idiom meaning, "Hmm. That's surprising, I didn't know."

If I had already known about the DP master edition, then it would have been used ironically as in "you have just stated the obvious." However, since I didn't know about it, I'm going to look for it and try to listen to it.

indycraft
11-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Today's playlist includes: Doobies, J. Geils Band, Grand Funk, Rare Earth, Thin Lizzy, Mitch Ryder & DW, Kiss ( I hate to admit to it), Buckcherry, Edgar Winter, Utopia, Pink, Supertramp, Sugarloaf, Chicago, Yes, Orleans, Blues Image, Tonic, Mountain, U2, the Spinners, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cheap Trick, The Police, Mason Proffit, Natalie Merchant, Loverboy, Vanilla Fudge, Mountain, Derek & and the Donimos, Tom Petty & the HB

Music to work by.

greyhound
11-23-2007, 11:57 AM
https://www.insideoutshop.de/images/Terria72dpi.jpg

https://www.insideoutshop.de/images/2102_large.jpg

https://www.insideoutshop.de/images/1073_large.jpg

so a whole night of devin townsend awaits me.
open a bottle of laphroaig (age 12 years) and slip away

SEAWOLF97
11-23-2007, 01:18 PM
accidentially started up "STAND UP" by Jethro Tull on the PC...wow - it was so good that I transferred it to the pod. :applaud:

diamondsouled
11-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Speaking of Joni Mitchell and Deep Purple, I was just listening last night to one of my all time favorite albums, definitely one of my favorite purple albums, the one simply titled Deep Purple, the one with Hieronymus Bosch on the cover. Chasing Shadows still floors me.

My dad took me out to my first concert ever back in Regina Saskatchewan. He said: "I've heard she's a good musician and want you to hear her with me." Could be he couldn't talk my mom into going, lol. This was early-mid sixties. It was downstairs at a little folk club called The Mouse Trap. Here's Joni set up in a corner, no stage, no mike; she picked up her guitar, played, sang, and I was in love. I was always a sucker for blonds though.

Lar

grumpy
11-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Robert Plant/Alison Krauss - was a gamble and on sale. I enjoy both of
their music... together worked for me too. I don't expect it will for everyone.
I wish they would have mixed it up style-wise a bit more, but there's a nice
low-end on this recording if you're system is up to it (separating kick drum
from acoustic bass, for example). -grumpy

SEAWOLF97
11-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Robert Plant/Alison Krauss - was a gamble and on sale. -grumpy

Heard Robert Plant/Alison Krauss doing "Gypsy Woman" on XM...not too bad.

----------------------------------------------------------

was listening to this album today, anyone else appreciate them as much as I do ??

hjames
11-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Heard Robert Plant/Alison Krauss doing "Gypsy Woman" on XM...not too bad.

----------------------------------------------------------

was listening to this album today, anyone else appreciate them as much as I do ??

Pink Floyd's Pulse? ;)
Well, I wasn't as impressed with that as I was with some of their earlier work ...

SEAWOLF97
11-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Pink Floyd's Pulse? ;)

Oh what a faux pas....mistaking Ian Anderson ("it was a new day yesterday, but it's an old day now..") for Floyd ...Its OK, HJ ..I wont tell anyone if you dont.

STAND UP was loaded into the editor because sometimes the Nano 2g gets finicky and will show a tune but not play it...so I have to delete it from the pod ...load it into editor, save it again ..let iTunes reacquire it and upload back to the nano and then all is well.

OFF SUBJECT.. sold the recently restored L-26's last night...very impressed with the way they image..they are really my favorite 2 way bookshelf. :applaud:

hjames
11-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I like old tull - Standup and Benefit - but when I want to listen to "Teacher", I had to load it from my old vinyl because I'm used to the US mix of the song and the CD features the UK mix and ... its just wrong somehow:(

But its hard to reCognize the old grooves from the waveform editor image ...

Oh what a faux pas....mistaking Ian Anderson ("it was a new day yesterday, but it's an old day now..") for Floyd ...Its OK, HJ ..I wont tell anyone if you dont.

whizzer
11-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I've generally reported on relistening to old stuff, in some cases, ancient, but here's a new one: Queen Latifah--"The Dana Owens Album." I can describe this only as an unexpected treat. She's sure come a long way from hip hop.

SEAWOLF97
12-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I once really enjoyed Clapton , but have been critical of his work the last 10 years or so ...you know,
he's "just phoning it in"...was about ready to give up on him...and then............and then ...............

XM played "STORMY MONDAY" from the CREAM reunion concert, damn, he was just like the good eric of years before. Guess that playing with his old mates makes him work for a change...:)

JBL 4645
12-04-2007, 03:54 PM
http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/CD/LF/552150_CD_L_F.jpg

Listening to, “Images the best of” (Jean Michel Jarre) in stereo mode with a mild, sub bass output to mellow the mood. (Synthesizer keyboards) have gotten so sophisticated since they where first introduced and several musicians have mastered the use of it with artistic skill.

The sound of the tones moving between the stereo fronts is incredible.

Like the use of his talent to orchestrate the (synthesizers) into a musical

I like track 16 “Wooloomooloo” the tone of the highs moving around the control 1 that act as mid to high range while the control 5 acts as bass mid only, or crossed over at present (61Hz to 401Hz LF 24db L-R) mid range to high (24db L-R 410Hz to 20KHz)

Its meet at times with a clash and voices that are paned to one side while these highs have a sweetly tonal zing to them.

I guess when you don’t have (tinnitus) ring in your middle ear all day, and thou its been comforting without hearing it today, thou it can come and go at any moment. The playback was at -13db on the AVR while the amplifiers are set accordantly for each LF and HF gave me SPL figure around 70dba @ 10 feet distance from the fronts.

mikezcar
12-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I like it, several original songs but mostly covers, Zepplin "Immigrant" cover that sounds real nice and I'm opposed to covers of some groups. Can you imagine Baba O'Reilly by anyone but Daltry? Lots of friends singing harmony with Ann on this, her first solo release, glad I bought it but hey I'm a fan think I have 4 or 5 Heart albums.

JBLOG
12-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Yo La....Tengo!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/217V5BE4CNL._AA115_.jpg

SEAWOLF97
12-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Stormy Monday - Jethro Tull
(from the Beeb ):applaud:

and then.....

Stormy Monday - BB King and T-bone Walker and Muddy Waters
(great version)

SEAWOLF97
12-23-2007, 12:32 PM
have been listening to "RAISING SAND" -Robert Plant & Allison Krause

quite good - I can hear why it's selling well :)

also checked out (local lib) "Man Alive" - Stephen Stills

most of it is standard (good) SS ...but not memorable, until...the last track
"Spanish Suite" ...wow....Spanish guitar and mixed lyrics..11:24....a real journey and most likely the best I've ever hear him do ...:applaud:

JBLOG
12-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Merry Christmas to All in the JBL Family!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MR7MZ4T8L._AA240_.jpg

LowPhreak
12-24-2007, 08:04 PM
[CENTER]
....a real journey and most likely the best I've ever hear him do ...:applaud:

And that's saying something. I'll have to check it out.

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 05:28 AM
Merry Christmas to All in the JBL Family!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MR7MZ4T8L._AA240_.jpg

JBLOG

You too Merry Christmas happy and peaceful holidays to you, may the New Year, be as grand as possible, may we all look forewords to newer and brighter days ahead.:) Same goes to you LowPhreak and you to Wolf. Peace and joy everwhere.:)

:happyh::window::presents:

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 05:45 AM
What would you know Classic FM is playing “the Snowman”

http://www.classicfm.co.uk/Default.asp (http://www.classicfm.co.uk/Default.asp)

Click on where it says (play now) to the left-hand side of the top part of the screen, give it a few moments to load up and buffer! Then relax with clear digital quality sound.

http://images.radcity.net/6440/1551596.jpg (http://www.classicfm.co.uk/sectional.asp?id=9441)http://www.classicfm.co.uk/images/classicfm_logo.gif (http://www.classicfm.co.uk/default.asp)

You’re host for the afternoon will be Jamie Crick.

LowPhreak
12-25-2007, 06:30 AM
Thank you sir!

:tree:

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 06:38 AM
LowPhreak

Don’t think of it, it was just the thought that counts. Not sure what you’re listening to now? I’m going to keep it simple over the afternoon with Classic FM, give the DVD player CD a rest until the evening.

Have you got the turkey or chicken roasting away where you are at the moment?

(Oregon Peaks) I had to Google the latitude and longitude to see where that is in the world, so you’re east coast of the US.

LowPhreak
12-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Meh...I just woke up a while ago, so I'm playing the jazz channel through the cable TV. No commercials and that's good. It's playing Kenny Burrell's "Footprints" right now.

Won't be long and we'll be heading for my GF's sisters place, where the bird will soon be doing its warm up act in the oven. :flamer: :applaud:

Off topic: Just got a Pearl Dennis Chambers snare drum, so you know that later I'll be groovin' to something a bit heavier than KB!!

http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/Drums/PearlDCSigdrum003-copy.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/Drums/PearlDCSigdrum002-copy.jpg

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 07:07 AM
LowPhreak

LOL that bad hey, so will you be performing live or just surviving the turkey with paper bag near by?:D:barf:

Smashing and groovy looking, take good care of those like the sound of live percussion instruments over (computer generated software).

hjames
12-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Merry Christians to you too, Ashley ... ;)

(just remember Clasics EFF EMM doesn't play to browsers outside the UK ...)

you know, Classic FM is playing “the Snowman”

http://www.classicfm.co.uk/Default.asp (http://www.classicfm.co.uk/Default.asp)

Click on where it says (play now) to the left-hand side of the top part of the screen,
give it a few moments to load up and buffer! Then relax with clear digital quality sound.

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Merry whoha to you too, Sir ...

(just remember Clasics EFF EMM doesn't play to browsers outside the UK ...)

Have you heard of MSN messenger, I can play what is playing here? And therefore you’ll be able to hear it on, you’re side of the world, yet another mission impossible solved.;)

Merry Christmas, Heather. :)

LowPhreak
12-25-2007, 08:01 AM
LOL that bad hey, so will you be performing live or just surviving the turkey with paper bag near by?:D:barf:

Me & the turkey ("The turkey and I"? lol) are booking ourselves as "The Double Turks"!! Special one-time Christmas engagement only. Ol' Tom is doing accordion & whizzer cone today. :bouncy:

Smashing and groovy looking, take good care of those like the sound of live percussion instruments over (computer generated software).

I don't do computer sounds here - it's either very wooden & brassy or it doesn't go. All sampling/MIDI geeks will be properly butchered, stuffed, and inserted into the oven after the show with Ol' Tom.

:cooked:

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Oh no now it’s 3pm it’s the Queen’s speech I Kidd you not!:)

http://pictures.directnews.co.uk/live/photo2136.JPG

The Queen is talking about family and the birth of Christ 2 thousand years ago, and other general matters, about civilised society. Security the armed forces in the Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Queen wishes a blessed Christmas to all.

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Me & the turkey ("The turkey and I"? lol) are booking ourselves as "The Double Turks"!! Special one-time Christmas engagement only. Ol' Tom is doing accordion & whizzer cone today. :bouncy:

I don't do computer sounds here - it's either very wooden & brassy or it doesn't go. All sampling/MIDI geeks will be properly butchered, stuffed, and inserted into the oven after the show with Ol' Tom.

:cooked:

LOL oh I agree with you and I have no real empathy for artificial drum and bass that only exists within the computer, some of it is good as for the rest it should be in shallow gave with the remains of chicken.

There’s some good music live music playing on Classic FM some of it I’ve never heard before, organ sounds sound very deep that, can reach down very low!!! :)

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Listening to "clear digital quality sound" "via MSN messenger" is a contradiction in Terminals.

The only thing I'm looking forward to from the UK today is the "Doctor Who Christmas Special" about 7PM your time!

... Kylie Minogue on the Titanic, I think ...

But you have a great time!

LOL yeah I saw the trailer on Youtube 3 or 4 weeks ago and thought to myself “I’m the king of the world”! It’s Doctor Who, meets the Titanic.:D

No the sound passing down the MSN line would be (monaural) the reception on this end is (((stereo))) digital, and that last organ note was deep I had the master fader at -8db, I should have turned it up to 0db and switched on the SPL db metre it was low.:p

http://images.radcity.net/6440/1551612.jpg (http://www.classicfm.co.uk/sectional.asp?id=9439)http://www.classicfm.co.uk/images/classicfm_logo.gif (http://www.classicfm.co.uk/default.asp)

Simon Bates

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 09:08 AM
http://images.radcity.net/6440/1549801.jpghttp://www.classicfm.co.uk/images/classicfm_logo.gif (http://www.classicfm.co.uk/default.asp)
Natalie Wheen is the late afternoon host its been a few months since I’ve listened to Classic FM on the analogue FM radio tuner on the Kenwood KRF-X9050D, where the reception always went (hashy) yuck, so the internet is good resourceful device to bring classic music into the home, even thou they tend to repeat the same music over the course of week, but then its popular classic music, that has universal appeal in many languages around the world.

LowPhreak
12-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Another good one (as online channels go) is www.radioparadise.com.

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Wow that was freaky, a talking dog.:eek::hyp: I can feel the money hairs, on the back of my neck, going, woof, woof, woof already.:D

LowPhreak
12-25-2007, 04:12 PM
The talking dog thing was new to me too. :dont-know I can only vouch for the playlist and the connection...generally they've been pretty good.

JBL 4645
12-25-2007, 04:22 PM
LowPhreak

Evening, I’m getting a little restless, now after that chicken. I wasn’t too sure where the play button was to listen, and how come I can listen, into most US radio stations, and you guys can’t listen, to the UK radio stations what is going on here?

I’m going to close down in moment and settle down with the extras from “Surf’s Up” I’m done in for the day, buggered man, its almost, Boxing Day only 38 mins away.:snore:

LowPhreak
12-25-2007, 08:29 PM
....Boxing Day only 38 mins away.:snore:

All hail Boxing Day! Hope your X-mas day was good. I've switched to David Bowie's "Earthling" and Brian Eno's "Nerve Net" to close things down.

(BTW - the new snare sounds righteous...right at home amongst the Starclassic maples and Paiste pies. :smthsail: )

http://usera.imagecave.com/aztec447/Drums/22TradMLSwishback-912.jpg

JBL 4645
12-26-2007, 04:53 AM
LowPhreak

Plenty of kick in the, snare drums, I guess, you should do a youtube video and post it here? Can you do the bass rhythm from, "Hawaii Five-O":D

LowPhreak
12-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Can you do the bass rhythm from, "Hawaii Five-O":D

I'm sure I could give it a good try, but not today. ;)

JBL 4645
12-26-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm sure I could give it a good try, but not today. ;)

LowPhreak

Here’s the link to the theme to practice the rhythm, I think a few horns blowing will be needed, as well. “Book 'em, Dano”.:D Hawaii, isn’t it the 52nd state of the USA?

I’ll post the Hawaii Five - O themes on the Youbube thread so that you can practice.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AepyGm9Me6w)

boputnam
12-31-2007, 01:28 PM
If you get a chance, listen to this on the 4345 (OK, or on any JBL system with real bass extension). Widget will get a sampling, tonight on the 4345.

T Bone Burnett done a hella job capturing some fantastic deep acoustic bass tones off an upright and some great large drums. Amazing bass extension. Great open punctuation offset to their beautiful duets and harmonies...

Very intriguing song list. :applaud:

Krunchy
12-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Yes, Music! :D

hjames
12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Bill Laswell - Dreams of Freedom: Ambient Translations of Bob Marley in Dub
#2 - No Woman, No Cry.

I've been working through some of Laswell's remixes - they are quite nice.
The Miles Davis tracks are next!

SEAWOLF97
12-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Great open punctuation offset to their beautiful duets and harmonies...
Very intriguing song list. :applaud:

see #1056 above...

have been auditioning TT's (from my stash) and grabbed the soundtrack from "Goldfinger" for source....I had forgotten how good the John Barry score was...:D

trying to decide between a Technics SL-D2 , Dual 701 , Dual 1227 and a Garrard zero-100sb.....wish I hadnt sold my 3 Thorens...:(

LowPhreak
12-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Man, never sell your last turntable! :eek: C'mon! Whassamatta with you Seawolf??!!

:thnkfast:

I dunno. I'd probably go with the 1227 coz it's belt-drive.

Is it time for beer and assorted sundries yet?? :cheers: Happy New Year guys & gals.

:presents:

boputnam
12-31-2007, 06:23 PM
see #1056 above...Ah, you have been quite busy and thorough out here! I guessed it should have been posted, but I was "full of amazement" and didn't search. Dammit, bo!! :bash:

I'll boot my post, although I kinda think it worthy of double-mention...? :o:

JBLOG
01-01-2008, 11:15 AM
I've been strictly digital for the past ten years but thought it was time to dust off the ol' Technics TT and fire-up some of the my stash. Santa helped too with a brand new Grado Black cartridge! The vinyl is sounding sooo sweet, I hope I still format agnostic. ;)
Jade Warrior is playing right now and Richard Pinhas is in queue.

Hoerninger
01-01-2008, 11:41 AM
... although I kinda think it worthy of double-mention...?

Yes, it has been.
I have AKUS live and enjoy them. :yes:
I have LZ as well an do not want to miss them. :bouncy:
But I was not shure about Alison Krauss together with Robert Plant :dont-know
Now I will go for it. :)

SEAWOLF97
01-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I'll boot my post, although I kinda think it worthy of double-mention...? :o:

no need to boot it....I think the release is worth at least 2 posts.;)

But I was not shure about Alison Krauss together with Robert Plant :dont-know
Now I will go for it. :)

One of the most commercial cuts on their release is "Gone,Gone,Gone" ..which sounded fresh and new....until I
heard the same tune from the "Everly Bros." ...50's, 60's ???

Hoerninger
01-03-2008, 12:23 PM
"Raising Sand" by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
Nice - but is it a win-win release for them?

Stick with me Baby; Everly Brothers 1961
Fortune Teller; others and The Who 1970 (Leeds)

JBLOG
01-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Have you ever pulled out an album and can't remember when and where you purchased it. I have no recollection of ever listening to Blast of Silence by The Golden Palominos.
Where and when did I buy this? Is it a relic from an old girl friend? :dont-know
I remember seeing them in concert....but this album (featuring T-Bone Burnett on guitar and vocals) is a little more country than I remember from the early Palominos gigs. A nice treat on a rainy Southern California afternoon.

SEAWOLF97
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I sometimes enjoy movie soundtrax.....listening to ST from "Mulholland Drive" ....spooky, quirky, (like the movie) , lots of good LF.

JBL 4645
01-05-2008, 08:24 PM
see #1056 above...

have been auditioning TT's (from my stash) and grabbed the soundtrack from "Goldfinger" for source....I had forgotten how good the John Barry score was...:D

trying to decide between a Technics SL-D2 , Dual 701 , Dual 1227 and a Garrard zero-100sb.....wish I hadnt sold my 3 Thorens...:(

You can’t go wrong with John Barry he has a few albums that I have heard on the classic fm station. As for Goldfinger the percussion in the opening titles is fantastic. :applaud:

I like the Bond score for Moonraker when Bond is walking though the jungle just moments after being chased on the river. A mellow tranquil harmonistic score plays that has a few soft voices, where I find myself playing the scene again, with smooth bass rhythms and tweeting bird sound effects.

Too bad the film is boxed up so I’ll have to wit a week or too before I can play it again.

You know I haven’t got a turntable, thou I wouldn’t mind owning the Technics 1210 MK II.

whizzer
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
At long last, "The American Metaphysical Circus," by Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies, is available on CD. This album is indescribable. I ended up buying it on LP three times while it was "in print"--and it was stolen each time. Byrd was the driving force behind the earlier "United States of America" albums--I think there were two--but this was undoubtedly his magnus opus. He's presently a professor of music at a university somewhere, the last I heard. Some of it, for sure, particularly the second song's female vocals, sounds a bit dated now, but, on the whole, it transcends its origins and remains relevant even today. I can't recommend it highly enough. When was the last tiime you heard a pop-psychedlia album that seriously considers the place of old people in society?

SEAWOLF97
01-09-2008, 03:13 PM
been having a great time with "The Golliwogs" ....pre CCR , they only recorded 14 tracks ever for release. got a little curious about the name, and ,,,,,,,,,,,, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwogg

Florence Kate Upton's Golliwogg in The Adventures of two Dutch Dolls And A Golliwogg, published in 1895

Also have been enjoying Stepen Stills ...GO BACK HOME ....sizzling guitar solo :applaud:

Ducatista47
01-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Damn!

By the Bulgarian State Radio and Television Female Vocal Choir. Earth shatteringly different and transcendentally superior. Gives your mind and your stereo a workout.

If you can listen to track three, the lament Kalimankou Denkou, without being moved or at least tearing up, see a doctor. You must be dead.

I have always relished dissonances from jazz and orchestral performers, from Ellington to Cecil Taylor to Schoenberg to Coltrane, but I never expected to hear them absolutely mastered by a European choir. Why didn't I hear this twenty years ago? I had heard of its existence, but never checked it out until now. Hint: don't turn down the volume; these ladies can, even individually, produce incredibly loud music which sounds great at concert level.

This is fully as good as the works of Tuvan throat singers and Tibetan monks, which I also encourage anyone curious to check out. (Apparently there is even a connection. The original Bulgars were Tartars, also from Central Asia.) Some Background: http://www.eyefortalent.com/eft-press/V-BSanJoseMercury030906.doc

Clark

JBLOG
01-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Clark,
Good stuff! An often forgotten and underrated piece of work.
If you are not all ready aware of this MP3 stream, check it out.
http://www.bluemars.org/voicesfwithin.php
Voices from Within celebrates pan cultural vocal music. (Yat kah, Lisa Gerrard, Ulali, buddhist monk etc.) A good introduction to music that is 'off the grid'.

Krunchy
01-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Gotta have a little bluegrass every now and then, probably not the best recording but thats irrelevant to me if the recording swings, and that certainly comes through. This guy is such an inspiration on so many levels, on top of being a very fine guitar and banjo player to boot.
Just fun stuff, pretty much all his recordings are.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412HDREQ64L._SS500_.jpg

Krunchy
01-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Been getting into this man's music, have a great deal of admiration for him. Wish I could have seen him live on the beach. Hope you guys on the west coast were fortunate enough to have seen him. Good stuff! :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WGHS39S1L._SS500_.jpg

JBLOG
01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Filigree & Shadow

A structured landscape of moods and emotions from the owners of the 4AD label.

Where were you in 1986?

diamondsouled
01-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Had a Zawinul evening last night.

Half way through I came up and did a search to see what was on the web. Didn't realize that he had passed away on Sept 11/07.

Was a bit sad but what a heritage the man left!

Thanks for the tunes Joe!

Lar

SEAWOLF97
01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I got this set months ago and mearly ripped to MP3 and put on the pod without playing it on the big Walsh's. 1 of the rips turned out bad so I got the set out again and ran on the main system this time ...
WOW ...I was blown away by the sound quality and started reading the booklet...."Remastered in 20 bit on a digital K2 interface." ...actually understood some of Fogerty's lost lyrics.

here is the Amaz link ... http://www.amazon.com/Creedence-Clearwater-Revival/dp/B00005OM4K/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1201301975&sr=8-5 (no affli :) )

anyway, for the CCR fan this set is really a treat.

its kinda funny...in a 1970's interview, Fogerty said that he hoped CCR's music would still be played in 10 years....

SEAWOLF97
02-05-2008, 01:31 PM
TRIVIA QUESTION

What US group sold MORE SINGLES than the Beatles in 1968 ??

Hey, Hey it's ........The Monkees?

no

JBLOG
02-05-2008, 04:52 PM
TRIVIA QUESTION

What US group sold MORE SINGLES than the Beatles in 1968 ??

Hey, Hey it's ........The Monkees?

Krunchy
02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Its gotta be CCR! Heard some of Johns new(?) stuff today and it sounded pretty wild, had his guit going through some kind of effects. At least he's still touring, I wonder what the other guys in the band think of that, I also wonder why the havent reunited for a quick tour $$$$$ & why not, everybody else does it :D I'd go see them.

SEAWOLF97
02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Its gotta be CCR! .

NO , they didnt do many singles and 1967 was not their best year...

modify question to read "1967"

, I wonder what the other guys in the band think of that, I also wonder why the havent reunited for a quick tour $$$$$ & why not, everybody else does it :D I'd go see them.

Tom Fogerty died in 1990 from aids (transfusion) ... the others are touring as "Creedence Clearwater REVISITED"

http://www.creedence-revisited.com/

their double CD is very good

http://www.amazon.com/Recollection-Creedence-Clearwater-Revisited/dp/B000088E56/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202349094&sr=8-1

Creedence Clearwater Revisited's "Recollection" has proven so popular that it was certified as a gold record by the RIAA in 2002 and is well on its way towards platinum record status

Krunchy
02-06-2008, 07:22 PM
the others are touring as "Creedence Clearwater REVISITED"
Sounds like there's some bad blood (no pun intended :D I mean it) between them.
It aint the Doors?! is it, which I am very fond of as well. Let me think about it, Im sure I could check some sort of website but that would be cheating.
I'll need to sleep on it :snore:

whizzer
02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Hmmm...could it be Paul Revere and the Raiders?

hjames
02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Hmmm...could it be Paul Revere and the Raiders?

nah, must be Carpenters!

(running and ducking ...!)

SEAWOLF97
02-07-2008, 03:37 PM
CLUE: Chicago area.

Krunchy
02-08-2008, 05:04 PM
blood sweat & tears ! (that just came to me) :dont-know I dont even know if they're from chicago. I know I heard a similar comment/observation on NPR recently (within the last 3 months of so)??!
may be stumped on this one Wolf. :banghead:

SEAWOLF97
02-08-2008, 06:13 PM
blood sweat & tears

BST were inspired by THE BUCKINGHAMS' . Their succession of hits led them to being named "The Most Listened to Band in America" in 1967.

(cant find sales link now...:()

NEW QUESTION:

WHAT BANd SOLD more albums than the Beatles in 1969 ??

whizzer
02-12-2008, 06:05 AM
BST were inspired by THE BUCKINGHAMS' . Their succession of hits led them to being named "The Most Listened to Band in America" in 1967.

By "their" is meant BST? or by "their" is meant The Buckinghams?
Alright, as for 1969, is it CCR this time?

SEAWOLF97
02-12-2008, 08:25 AM
By "their" is meant BST? or by "their" is meant The Buckinghams?
Alright, as for 1969, is it CCR this time?

Their is the Buckinghams (and the horn influence)....they were huge until 68 when the wheels fell off.. :(

69 ? CCR ...yes.

Loffen
02-16-2008, 08:18 AM
And for some stereo effects check out :
Roger Waters,Amused to death (CK64426,columbia) gold CD recorded in Q sound with super bit mapping :blink:

Another good choice is Madonna's Music (Yeah i know:o:) but the recording is really great with lots of fancy stuff.

And last Kelis,Kaleidoscope,you will need some good amps to handle your woofers :bouncy:

BMWCCA
02-18-2008, 08:28 PM
What's left of the family went into town for a couple of hours. So, Michael Hedges' Breakfast in the Field is playing at half pre-amp volume level with the Crown PS-400 wide open. Sound pressure a bit beyond a live performance from the front row. No muddiness from the 128H-1's once I got the monitors about two-feet off the floor and oriented horizontally as designed. Still not ear-level (unless I sit on the floor) but this is a major triumph considering I've owned the 4412As for eighteen months and they've been vertical on the floor the whole time. A brief respite now that two are in college allowed me to reclaim some room for the fourth system. A little bit more working room and then the L150As get re-surrounded. The L112s are next. I want to have something to compare the L5s to when they show up. The no-maintenance 030s are still plugging along just as they have for the past 50 years. Hedges' Torched is going in next. It's been fun listening to the L20Ts but, well, you know . . .

SEAWOLF97
02-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Finally got the 4412As off the floor. . .

never found the room to play them horizontal and were best for me at 14-18 of stand when verticle..after I got the L166s , Fangio asked me to compare them to the 4412s.

my answer was something like "If you ask me 100 times which is better, I'd reply 51 times that its the L166 , 48 times that 4412 is better and 1 time - I dunno.

but whatever you prefer ,, the bookshelves are almost always better "off the floor"

BMWCCA
02-18-2008, 09:46 PM
my answer was something like "If you ask me 100 times which is better, I'd reply 51 times that its the L166 , 48 times that 4412 is better and 1 time - I dunno.

but whatever you prefer ,, the bookshelves are almost always better "off the floor"Of course, but when you have so much stuff (as you know) and not enough room (plenty of room when we moved in 23 years ago, before three kids!!), it just takes a long time to get to even semi-optimum placement (had to move a couch and a harp out of the room to get to this point, another room has two pianos and a cello in it. I can barely get to my Les Paul! :banghead: ).

But of course, these are 4412A's, so they'd probably win at least 51 to 48! ;) Let's see what happens when the 4412A, L112, and L150A's are all in the same room for comparison.

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Child is Father to the Man - BST

"Somethin' Goin' On" (Kooper) – 8:00

on vinyl - WOW !!

In 2003, the album was ranked number 264 on Rolling Stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone) magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone%27s_500_Greatest_Albums_of_All_Time) .

hear samples here...
http://www.thestore24.com/Music/Album.aspx?si=rhino&prodid=SNY63987.2

SEAWOLF97
03-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh NO !!!!

so I'm at GW yesterday and pick up 2 vinyl albums. "Cool Water" by SONS OF THE PIONEERS and "Victory at Sea" - Richard Rogers.

start playing them today and find myself knowing the words and melodies. A really funny sense of deja vu.

I start thinking back and Oh Oh. These are 2 of the albums that my father had in the early 60's and really the ones that I played over and over at 12 years old on his stereo as I didn't own any.

Am I following my father subconsciously or just a fantastic coincidence ?? :blink:

Hoerninger
03-09-2008, 03:18 PM
or just a fantastic coincidence ??

It is more than a coincidence as you have some reminiscence of it perhaps some feelings too.
Recently I borrowed a LP "Dance to the Big Bands", all well known titles (!954-1968). They reminded me of my father who liked to listen to the radio at sunday morning.

BMWCCA
03-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Doing more A-B listening, just to torture myself. How the hell do you all who own those big-as-a-house monitors with at least one 15" ever play some of this stuff at high volume? My wife took our remaining daughter into town, I opted out, already having driven 400 miles today, and I put on some of Liz Wright's Salt, specifically "Blue Rose". I just can't believe that voice was only 22-years-old or so at the time of the recording. Lot's of pausing and swapping Pomona plugs from the L5s to the 4412As. (Still haven't broken up the L20T system I set up for my middle daughter, during her brief at-home convalescence, to have a PS-400 to run each speaker pair.) I could listen to Liz all day, especially at home after hearing her in my in-car CD for part of the ride home. I highly recommend her if you're into female contemporary Jazz vocals.

Then I popped in Steely Dan's 4-Grammy-winning Two Against Nature, specifically "What a Shame About Me". Walter Becker's bass lines literally shook the house on the baby L5s. I couldn't believe what I was feeling! I switched to the 4412As, just to compare, and the rise in the little 4-ways as they go up the spectrum made a flat comparison against the monitors almost impossible quickly, and nearly unfair. But the L5s also produced a bottom that felt not only more intense, but also more defined——and deeper! Truly hard to believe and this was with the PS-400 and the DX4100 at about one-o'clock, so we're talking LOUD! I almost hesitated to share my thoughts because I'm going to buy all of the L5s I can find and really don't need competition :D . I still need to re-surround the L150As and put them up against the Baby-Ls, but for simple listening pleasure, I'm just amazed at the L5s.

So, what on earth does "What a Shame About Me" sound like on an L300? Or on Heather's hopped-up L200 boxes? Or spwal's 4341s? Somebody must have this fine example of a near-perfectly-recorded CD to play on those iconic (no pun) JBLs. Fess up; how do you stay in the same room without making your stomach do flips? And do you live alone? I work with pro-sound for live reinforcement occasionally so I do know what you get out of an 18" sub, but these L5s are only EIGHT-INCH!!

Disclosure: I'm never selling these L5s so I'm not just trying to manufacture LH quotes for an Ebay auction. I also know some of you wouldn't listen to Steely Dan on a bet, or even consider it music. But that's your loss! ;)

SEAWOLF97
03-09-2008, 06:18 PM
I couldn't believe what I was feeling! I switched to the 4412As, just to compare, and the rise in the little 4-ways as they go up the spectrum made a flat comparison against the monitors almost impossible quickly, and nearly unfair. But the L5s also produced a bottom that felt not only more intense, but also more defined——and deeper!

. the 4412 reminded me of an updated L100 . The bass was not well controlled ( I was asked the comparison of the 4412 to the L-166 by Fangio and answered that I liked the L-166 slightly better.

Glad you found nirvana with the L-5's ...I did a demo of the L-7's when new and was impressed, but just cudnt get past their looks.

Funny, I am a long time Steely Dan fan and thot I liked everything they've ever done, until I got "two against nature"...its the only Dan album that I dont listen to... :blink:

hjames
03-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, at some point you'll just have to come on up and hear at least 2 of the speakers you mentioned. The L200-plus (quasi-4333) on the yamaha, then haul the disc downstairs for the biamped 4341s ...
I actually do own that CD - tho yesterday we were pounding the rafters comparing Daft Punk's Discovery album on the two different systems ...

Then I popped in Steely Dan's 4-Grammy-winning Two Against Nature, specifically "What a Shame About Me". Walter Becker's bass lines literally shook the house on the baby L5s. I couldn't believe what I was feeling! I switched to the 4412As, just to compare, and the rise in the little 4-ways as they go up the spectrum made a flat comparison against the monitors almost impossible quickly, and nearly unfair. But the L5s also produced a bottom that felt not only more intense, but also more defined——and deeper! Truly hard to believe and this was with the PS-400 and the DX4100 at about one-o'clock, so we're talking LOUD! I almost hesitated to share my thoughts because I'm going to buy all of the L5s I can find and really don't need competition :D . I still need to re-surround the L150As and put them up against the Baby-Ls, but for simple listening pleasure, I'm just amazed at the L5s.

So, what on earth does "What a Shame About Me" sound like on an L300? Or on Heather's hopped-up L200 boxes? Or spwal's 4341s? Somebody must have this fine example of a near-perfectly-recorded CD to play on those iconic (no pun) JBLs. Fess up; how do you stay in the same room without making your stomach do flips? And do you live alone? I work with pro-sound for live reinforcement occasionally so I do know what you get out of an 18" sub, but these L5s are only EIGHT-INCH!!

Disclosure: I'm never selling these L5s so I'm not just trying to manufacture LH quotes for an Ebay auction. I also know some of you wouldn't listen to Steely Dan on a bet, or even consider it music. But that's your loss! ;)

lovethatsound
03-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Speaking of things....what are some of your guys' favorite movie soundtracks?

My top two are - Jurassic Park and Aladdin, closely followed by Mr. Hollands Opus.

BMWCCA
03-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Funny, I am a long time Steely Dan fan and thot I liked everything they've ever done, until I got "two against nature"...its the only Dan album that I dont listen to... :blink:I felt the same way for some time. Then I ran across the CD in a car I don't drive very often. I think I'm warming up to it now. I even like "Cousin Dupree". The L5s may not be Nirvana, but they'll do for a while. I grew up on D130s and still want some more modern big 15's some day.

Heather: You know I will take you up on that offer some day. I was kind of looking forward to A-B-ing with the 240ti, too, but looks like that deal isn't happening. After decades of looking down on the LE14A, I would love to own something with an LE14H. Big monitors will have to wait a while. Maybe if I collect enough good small stuff, I can parlay it into some big stuff some day. ;)

Fred Sanford
03-10-2008, 06:56 AM

Hop over the mountains & hear it on some not-quite-dialed-in 4333As. Have the live DVD in DTS, too, track 14 is "What A Shame...". Plus, the making of "Aja" on DVD is here, with some live performances.

Lots of talk about Steely Dan lately, so I ran through all of their studio work recently, plus the Fagen & Becker albums (and the single on the Heavy Metal Sountrack). Something like 111 songs. This was on five L46s with a Velodyne sub, though- 5-way stereo while working around the studio.

Loved the kick drum on the song "Everything Must Go" especially.

Took a look for your Epiphone screws, not as promising as I'd thought. Check with Stewart MacDonald:

http://www.stewmac.com/

je

Krunchy
03-10-2008, 08:51 AM
I even like "Cousin Dupree". The L5s may not be Nirvana, but they'll do for a while.
Hi BMWCCA, That is actually a really funny song. The album takes a bit getting used to but I actually think its great, it sounds amazing, so well recorded like all their stuff. I burned it and left out 1 or two songs and added some stuff frop Morph the Cat and now its a great compilation. I am also a big Liz Wright fan, thats real talent there. I have a pair of L5s and they are amazing, the bass is incredible. I A-Bd them against the L150's (not L150A"s) and it was a real close call. The L5's had better more defined/impressive bass but the 150's had better highs IMO.

Hello Seawolf, That is a fantastic coincidence alright, quite curious. Got the everything must go cd and it is most enjoyable as well. Oh yeah, stay away from any of those black speakers, you guys dont mesh well.

Hop over the mountains & hear it on some not-quite-dialed-in 4333As. je Thats good je! :D I like that.

Joe Jackson. Just popped in his new cd Rain and its really quite good :)(if you like his style) very well recorded and thats a plus.
Been listening to a lot of his previous recordings latetly, I dont like all his stuff (very few artist fit that bill)
but he has a lot of good material.

richluvsound
03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Laura Marling 19 yrold. Cute too !:applaud:

http://www.lauramarling.com/

New romantics !

Rich

BMWCCA
03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Joe Jackson. Just popped in his new cd Rain and its really quite good :)(if you like his style) very well recorded and thats a plus. Been listening to a lot of his previous recordings latetly, I dont like all his stuff (very few artist fit that bill) but he has a lot of good material. IIRC, I have an old one of his that makes a big deal out of searching for just the right abandoned warehouse so the drums would sound correct. Very well done, I'll have to dig it out.

Shhshh on the tall black speakers. I'm keeping it a secret from now on!

Took a look for your Epiphone screws, not as promising as I'd thought. Check with Stewart MacDonald:I've been there and I'm still not convinced they understand the difference, either. Gibson sent me what they say are the correct part numbers for the screws and the plates, but they won't let you order them directly. I've checked with Music & Arts Center here in town (Charlottesville, VA) and they said they'd be happy to order them for me. I believe they were bought recently by Guitar Center. Hopefully they can't screw up a tiny parts order! Thanks for the offer of listening. I have both Steely Dan DVDs and enjoy them immensely. We'll do this when the weather's consistently warm enough for bikes. I'm riding in the Catskill's next week. Got to remember the heated stuff!

Fred Sanford
03-10-2008, 06:20 PM
I've been there and I'm still not convinced they understand the difference, either. Gibson sent me what they say are the correct part numbers for the screws and the plates, but they won't let you order them directly. I've checked with Music & Arts Center here in town (Charlottesville, VA) and they said they'd be happy to order them for me. I believe they were bought recently by Guitar Center. Hopefully they can't screw up a tiny parts order! Thanks for the offer of listening. I have both Steely Dan DVDs and enjoy them immensely. We'll do this when the weather's consistently warm enough for bikes. I'm riding in the Catskill's next week. Got to remember the heated stuff!

I went upstairs and fired up the songs & discsqwe mentioned- the 4333As still need a good bit of attention, but are pretty impressive as is. My Ashly crossover should be all fixed within a week or two, and then I'll be bi-amping with either one or two Adcom 2535s. The speakers won't be quite right 'til I re-cone the 2231s (as 2235s) and re-charge the magnets...the current '31s have tired spiders at the least. One was re-coned years ago, and to my ears there's a difference between the two. Not bad for free, though, I ain't complaining.

My wife is going away for a weekend in April, might be having a listening party that weekend...couple guys from C'Ville, including the Beemer Bike/Bagel Boy you met already (he's a Dahlquist dude).

Lots of great roads in the Valley, you probably know that. We'll be having a rally in Natural Bridge in June, maybe you could stop by that weekend. A good friend of mine (who will be at that rally) also leads the AMA ride to Nova Scotia (and occasionally others). Great guy.

je

BMWCCA
03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Lots of great roads in the Valley, you probably know that. We'll be having a rally in Natural Bridge in June, maybe you could stop by that weekend. I think I've been ticketed on most of those roads on bikes! We have an annual BMW /5 rally in Seneca Rocks, WV, June 13-15. That's Father's Day. Great riding in the area. We've been doing it for something like 12-years now. All are invited, though it's focused on BMWs from 1970-1973.

April's looking pretty good though! For Heather's sake, "Fred" and I met for lunch at the same bagel joint where you, me, and Emma went after the L20T hand-off. Small world! ;)

Fred Sanford
03-11-2008, 03:03 AM
I think I've been ticketed on most of those roads on bikes! We have an annual BMW /5 rally in Seneca Rocks, WV, June 13-15. That's Father's Day. Great riding in the area. We've been doing it for something like 12-years now. All are invited, though it's focused on BMWs from 1970-1973.

April's looking pretty good though! For Heather's sake, "Fred" and I met for lunch at the same bagel joint where you, me, and Emma went after the L20T hand-off. Small world! ;)

That's the weekend we'll be in Natural Bridge, wasn't aware it's Father's Day this year. Not sure we'll get up as far as Seneca Rocks, but we have found some nice routes heading South from there towards Staunton. Pics here:

http://jck22903.smugmug.com/gallery/3380606

...and some Natural Bridge pics here, the yellow BMW is the Nova Scotia guy:

http://jck22903.smugmug.com/gallery/2951311

We'll hook up...

je

Ducatista47
03-14-2008, 11:25 PM
A search of the forums turned up only one sideways mention of Michael Brecker. That is strange, as I find him to be for me one of the five best tenor men who ever played, the latest great one for sure. I have been getting very high on these two tonight:

Infinity, McCoy Tyner Trio & Michael Brecker, 1995.

Tales From The Hudson, 1996. This one is full of supertalents, including pianist Joey Calderazzo, who I had not heard of before. Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, Pat Metheny and McCoy Tyner are along for the ride so there is something for everyone.

Both albums might be called heavy jazz, so non believers beware. But they are fabulous offerings. Cut four of Infinity is an exceptional example of the power of jazz to instill pure joy and exhilaration in the listener.

By the way, Brecker was the mesmerizing horn man on Joni Mitchel's Shadow And Light, worth a listen in any case, with Jaco and other greats in attendance.

I recently decided to check out what all the fuss about Brecker was for. I was so ignorant I thought he was a German musician. It ends up he was From New York state (Hastings On Hudson), was one of the best ever, and tragically died a year ago January at 57 years of age from leukemia. Here I thought I knew a thing or two about jazz, but look at what I was missing. And now he is gone. I'll never hear him live. We don't have him anymore. :(

Clark

hjames
03-15-2008, 05:39 AM
Great series of links from wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Brecker

An amazing talent that played on some of the best music over the years ... just a few refs as a sideman -
he was in the '80s SNL Orchestra ...
Bill Cobham - Crosswinds and 4 others
David Sanborn - a number of albums
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Paul Simon Albums - Still Crazy, Rhythm of the Saints, and others
Springsteen - Born to Run album
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Don Fagen - the Nightfly
Lou Reed - Berlin, and New Sensations
James Taylor - Buncha albums
Zappa - Leatherette, Lather and 2 others
lots of projects by John Abercrombie, Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Herbie Hancock, Michael Franks, Chaka Khan, Steve Kahn 0 just an amazing list of music!
and thats just a couple things from a 14 page discography ... see:

http://www.michaelbreckerliverecordings.com/Tijdelijk/Brecker%20sideman%20disco.pdf

Thanks for the heads up! I wouldn't have looked further without your inspiration.

A search of the forums turned up only one sideways mention of Michael Brecker. That is strange, as I find him to be for me one of the five best tenor men who ever played, the latest great one for sure. I have been getting very high on these two tonight:

By the way, Brecker was the mesmerizing horn man on Joni Mitchel's Shadow And Light, worth a listen in any case, with Jaco and other greats in attendance.
Here I thought I knew a thing or two about jazz, but look what I was missing. And now he is gone. I'll never hear him live. We don't have him anymore. :(

Clark

SEAWOLF97
03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Bill Wyman & his Rhythm Kings

tobacco road - (extended )

much better than I anticipated :applaud:

JBLOG
03-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Is there something magical in the Calrec Ambisonic Microphone? ...or is the producer Peter Moore a genius.

The Trinity Sessions captures something that is truly special.

Has anyone heard the newer released Trinity Revisited?

SEAWOLF97
03-26-2008, 10:49 AM
I was reorging the few records that my dooter didnt nab (trying to find jackets for the loose & vv ) and came up with an orphan...slipped it out and OMG !! it was my 1969 copy of the "Zodiac ..cosmic sounds" (Electra)

Had to put it on , altho the instructions were "must be played in the dark "

sample lyrics:
"Four thousand dreams may decay into indigo dust that covers Aquarius, and still, the voice will say...love."
- from Aquarius, The Lover of Life

started looking around ..here is a good page on it
http://www.aural-innovations.com/issues/issue21/zodiac01.html

another guy has an interesting note
http://www.soulgeneration.co.uk/excavations4.htm
"The Zodiac Cosmic Sounds" Electra
"When I bought this record around 1990 the shopkeeper told me i'd never play it more than a handful of times and that i'd never sell it either - that it would just sit in my collection only to be pulled out and admired every few years. Thinking that the guy was pretty presumtious at the time - i've gotta say 14 years on that he was right, something about this record makes it impossible to part with? I recently found a second copy and to try to break the records spell I stuck it on ebay to sell, but would you believe it went unsold at a start bid of $3!"

Looks like that shopkeeper was right ...dubbed it to MD so as to convert to MP3 and can cleanup all the pops and crackles on the PC.

whizzer
03-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I have that album. I bought it when it was new. And you're so right--it's on only once every 14-20 years or so. I guess you might call it a period piece--ah, those were the days. Do you recall one called "Psychedelic Psoul"? It's presently available combined on CD with "Devil's Anvil: Hard Rock from the Middle East" for unknown and probably unknowable reasons and features tunes with names like "Rose of Smiling Faces."

GTekie
03-27-2008, 11:06 AM
2 cds purchased recently, You Had it Coming & Jeff, really gave my Horizons a workout. In fact I thought I " blew " them. Not so though.
Anyone else heard these and have a like impression ?

SEAWOLF97
04-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Vivaldi's "Le quattro stagioni"

by Anne-Sophie Mutter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TDZU5S/ref=dm_sp_adp?ie=UTF8&qid=1207249284&sr=8-1)

( by far the best version that I've heard)

and

Nina Simone's

"I put a Spell on You"

( very nice, tho the definitive version is by "Screamin' Jay Hawkins")

and

Little Milton"s

"STORMY MONDAY"

SEAWOLF97
04-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Have never listened to "The James Gang" (any relation, HJ ??) but there is an interesting piece thats a little "Bolero" , "Cast your fate to the Wind" and other classical done with guitar called "The Bomber" that is interesting ... d/l'ed it and been enjoying.

hjames
04-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Have never listened to "The James Gang" (any relation, HJ ??) but there is an interesting piece thats a little "Bolero" , "Cast your fate to the Wind" and other classical done with guitar called "The Bomber" that is interesting ... d/l'ed it and been enjoying.

No relation - I get NO residuals when you play it ... but its in semi-rotation over here as well ...

Cast Your Fate - cute li'l Vince Guaraldi Trio (http://www.amazon.com/Impressions-Black-Orpheus-Vince-Guaraldi/dp/B000000YO6/) pop piece ...
The trick is having the James Gang version (http://www.amazon.com/Rides-Again-James-Gang/dp/B00004TH66/) with the Bolero segment -
apparently the Ravel heirs only wanted to allow the Bolero be used intact, and didn't want "a segment" like that version used...

SEAWOLF97
04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
The trick is having the James Gang version (http://www.amazon.com/Rides-Again-James-Gang/dp/B00004TH66/) with the Bolero segment -
apparently the Ravel heirs only wanted to allow the Bolero be used intact, and didn't want "a segment" like that version used...

I took it into editor and snipped the boilderplates off....kinda nice now. :D

SEAWOLF97
04-22-2008, 07:38 PM
"It hurts me too"
from
Jamming with Edward - (1972)
(Essentially 3 of the Rolling Stones with Ry cooder)

can't believe that this has been around since '72 and I had never heard it until it came in on an accidential d/l ...very nice electric blues.

hjames
04-23-2008, 04:07 AM
"It hurts me too"
from
Jamming with Edward - (1972)
(Essentially 3 of the Rolling Stones with Ry cooder)

can't believe that this has been around since '72 and I had never heard it until it came in on an accidential d/l ...very nice electric blues.

Don't forget Nicky Hopkins! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamming_with_Edward

whizzer
04-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Savoy Brown--"Blue Matter"--a really good album--the band's best, in my opinion; I think it was the last with Lonesome Dave on guitar.

...if the river wuz whiskey, 'an I wuzza divin' duck,
I'd dive down to the bottom'n drink myself back up.

Okay--back to work now.

oznob
04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Savoy Brown--"Blue Matter"--a really good album--the band's best, in my opinion; I think it was the last with Lonesome Dave on guitar.

...if the river wuz whiskey, 'an I wuzza divin' duck,
I'd dive down to the bottom'n drink myself back up.

Okay--back to work now.

Have to agree, it was their best album IMHO and one of my favs! Great lyric from a bitchn' song! Yeah, after this album, Lonesome Dave went on tho form Foghat. I've been "Stone Blue" ever since!:p

oznob
04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
From the CD Animal Tracks, Eric Burdon and The Animals doing a powerful rendition of Ray Charles "I believe to my soul!" Several have covered it but none better than EB in my opinion! Great recording with a near perfect echo on Burdon's voice and solid piano work:thmbsup:.

Krunchy
05-05-2008, 05:37 AM
catchy little tune
Just for fun folks, I thought it was pretty funny :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0KW6kewK4I

SEAWOLF97
05-10-2008, 07:25 PM
We'll meet again

-Vera Lynn-

anybody know what movie featured this over the closing credits ?

(4645 doesnt count - he knows all the movie trivia)

hjames
05-10-2008, 08:25 PM
We'll meet again

-Vera Lynn-

anybody know what movie featured this over the closing credits ?

(4645 doesnt count - he knows all the movie trivia)

Yeah, me too, so I'll Pass On Easy guessing to the next person ...

JohnK
05-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Dr Strangelove?

SEAWOLF97
05-11-2008, 04:14 AM
Yeah, me too, so I'll Pass On Easy guessing to the next person ...

Dr Strangelove?

you'se guys is good ...:applaud:

grumpy
05-11-2008, 04:58 PM
:banghead: <- hint "Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?" ... a more recent reference.
:)

Krunchy
05-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Vera! Vera!, what has become of you?! :blink: :D

SEAWOLF97
05-19-2008, 06:01 AM
A Simple Desultory Philippic

from PSR&T

(soaring melodies/profound lyrics)

hjames
05-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Accordian Death Squad ...

http://www.myspace.com/accordiondeathsquad

Doom-metal Klezmer music, in the manner of Gogol Bordello meets Tom Waits and many other influences ... the band is based in Charlottesville, VA (hey, Phil!!)

Apparently they will be the band for a Wedding that (Rev) Emma is officiating for in June ... sounds intriguing!

SEAWOLF97
05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
watched "The Graduate" last week, and as you all know, the soundtrack is mostly SIMON & GARFUNKEL . Have never really followed Paul on on his solo works, but dug out 2 S&G LP's -Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme and Sounds of Silence.
Thanx to Mac's support, I'm in process of building a pretty fair vinyl playback system complete with legendary MC cart (DL-103), but those albums already sounded great on the old V-15/3 .

S&G's early "protest" albums are real treats, great craftsmanship and barely a single dud across the 2 albums. As a "child of the 60's" , "A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission)" is a real hoot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Simple_Desultory_Philippic_(Or_How_I_Was_Robert_ McNamara'd_Into_Submission)

The funny part is that the actual "Graduate" LP is not as good and is mostly instrumentals from the movie, where PSR&T is more of the real thing.:applaud:

"The film boosted the profile of folk-rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk-rock) duo Simon and Garfunkel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_and_Garfunkel), whose soundtrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate_%28soundtrack%29) album (The Graduate Original Soundtrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate_Original_Soundtrack)), on the strength of the hit single "Mrs. Robinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs_Robinson_%28song%29)", rose to the top of the charts in 1968 (knocking off The Beatles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles)' White Album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Album))."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate

JBL 4645
05-22-2008, 06:12 PM
watched "The Graduate" last week, and as you all know, the soundtrack is mostly SIMON & GARFUNKEL . Have never really followed Paul on on his solo works, but dug out 2 S&G LP's -Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme and Sounds of Silence.
Thanx to Mac's support, I'm in process of building a pretty fair vinyl playback system complete with legendary MC cart (DL-103), but those albums already sounded great on the old V-15/3 .

S&G's early "protest" albums are real treats, great craftsmanship and barely a single dud across the 2 albums. As a "child of the 60's" , "A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission)" is a real hoot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Simple_Desultory_Philippic_(Or_How_I_Was_Robert_ McNamara'd_Into_Submission)

The funny part is that the actual "Graduate" LP is not as good and is mostly instrumentals from the movie, where PSR&T is more of the real thing.:applaud:

"The film boosted the profile of folk-rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk-rock) duo Simon and Garfunkel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_and_Garfunkel), whose soundtrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate_%28soundtrack%29) album (The Graduate Original Soundtrack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate_Original_Soundtrack)), on the strength of the hit single "Mrs. Robinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs_Robinson_%28song%29)", rose to the top of the charts in 1968 (knocking off The Beatles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles)' White Album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Album))."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate

That is pucker song by SIMON & GARFUNKEL pucker. Did you get the urge to turn up the fader a little bit more on the end credits to give it that wow, send off that fades into the sound of silence? :applaud:Chocks my throat up this song does, pucker.

Simon and Garfunkel "Sound of Silence" in Central Park
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd8xp86reY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd8xp86reY)

The Sound of Silence en The Graduate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWkCHt8owc

Are you trying to seduce me Tom. :D

The Graduate - Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lumCFWXnHs&feature=related

Like use of guitar acting as sound effect on the opening of this part, not the framing isn’t full scope 2.35:1, wonderful film, have t get this on region 2 DVD classic film classic.

Like use of guitar acting as sound effect on the opening of this part, not the framing isn’t full scope 2.35:1, wonderful film, have t get this on region 2 DVD classic film classic.

BEEENNNN!

Graduate end scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eIXN6Sp40&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eIXN6Sp40&feature=related)

SEAWOLF97
05-22-2008, 07:35 PM
That is pucker song by SIMON & GARFUNKEL pucker. Like use of guitar acting as sound effect on the opening of this part, not the framing isn’t full scope 2.35:1, wonderful film, have t get this on region 2 DVD classic film classic.

Ash - I have a soft spot for that film as I first saw it the summer that I graduated from HS in Santa Barbara and much of the film was shot in local Santa Barbara locations that we saw all the time..we laughed at Ben driving to Berkley going south into the tunnel at SLO and emerging going north ...etc.

Still a great movie....maybe DH's best ??

As long as we're babbling about soundtracks......

I always enjoyed the movie "Harold & Maude", partly because the entire score was tunes from that renowned International terrorist - Cat Stevens

Also , I had the 6 hour Apocalypse Now rough cut, before the narration and with timing marks visable.....the whole score was DOORS songs.

whizzer
05-23-2008, 08:21 AM
I pulled out an old one to hear on the way to work today--Rick Wakeman, "The Six Wives of Henry VIII." It still sounds good, probably his best non-Yes work.

JBL 4645
05-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Ash - I have a soft spot for that film as I first saw it the summer that I graduated from HS in Santa Barbara and much of the film was shot in local Santa Barbara locations that we saw all the time..we laughed at Ben driving to Berkley going south into the tunnel at SLO and emerging going north ...etc.

Still a great movie....maybe DH's best ??

As long as we're babbling about soundtracks......

I always enjoyed the movie "Harold & Maude", partly because the entire score was tunes from that renowned International terrorist - Cat Stevens

Also , I had the 6 hour Apocalypse Now rough cut, before the narration and with timing marks visable.....the whole score was DOORS songs.

Nice that you had a soft touch Tom for that era and noticing the continuity mistake. LOL:D

One of many that was publicized with highly critically good review for its Dolby stereo mix onto 70mm with its stereo surrounds that would allow greater flexibly and ingenuity with a far realistic cinema going experience that could only be find on the Road Show 70mm realises of the time.

Tom you may find the last two videos of interest with the evolution of Apocalypse Now 1979) and “Apocalypse Walter Murch Now” sound designer.

Apocalypse Now - Intro, music by The Doors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUQtbZ3Tbs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUQtbZ3Tbs)

Apocalypse Now - Ghost Helicopter Flyover
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4g7ypnQldqM&feature=related (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4g7ypnQldqM&feature=related)

Worldizing: a sound design concept - by Walter Murch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_py6jVyOqUY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_py6jVyOqUY)

SEAWOLF97
05-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Tom you may find the last two videos of interest with the evolution of Apocalypse Now 1979) and “Apocalypse Walter Murch Now” sound designer.

Apocalypse Now - Intro, music by The Doors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUQtbZ3Tbs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUQtbZ3Tbs)

Apocalypse Now - Ghost Helicopter Flyover
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4g7ypnQldqM&feature=related (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4g7ypnQldqM&feature=related)

Worldizing: a sound design concept - by Walter Murch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_py6jVyOqUY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_py6jVyOqUY)

Ash ....thanx for the great links....its also interesting to someone who appreciates AN, some of the details that were cut...on the scene with Williard in the Saigon hotel room,(your first link) in the original - he wasnt alone. there was a girl sitting, watching him.

the "ghost helo flyover" was really technically interesting. I have forewarded that link to friends....

JBL 4645
05-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Ash ....thanx for the great links....its also interesting to someone who appreciates AN, some of the details that were cut...on the scene with Williard in the Saigon hotel room,(your first link) in the original - he wasnt alone. there was a girl sitting, watching him.

the "ghost helo flyover" was really technically interesting. I have forewarded that link to friends.... not wanting to sound like Jonathan Quayle Higgins, I wont recount my huey stories. (nobody believes one of them anyway - but I DO have pics)

Tom

Evening there.

I’m not sure if that is part of documentary on of many different versions of the classic film, I have two versions a first edition on region 2 that flipping wowed me a few years back now. The later Redux and I like the scene with the corneal and more than a few helicopters flying around with tape recording. “Just give me back the board Lance, it was good board and I like it, you know how hard it is to find a board you like.”

That’s a rough quote from what I can remember as I played that scene over a few times with the sound coming from, I think it’s the side surrounds and it moves over to centre back and exits off to the right surround, while there’s slight difference over LCR fronts, I’d have to re-watch just to be a bit more positive.

I think I’ve seen outtakes or is it in the redux version at the start, I know its got the scene where they, stop up river at French settlement.

SEAWOLF97
05-24-2008, 06:49 PM
there is a percussion soundtrack to AN by "The Rhythm Devils" - Mickey Hart" called "The Apocalypse Now Sessions". Its done on native instruments and is brutal, downright scarrey. The very last cut is called "Napalm For Breakfast" and features the very lowest freq notes I've ever heard recorded. My subs cant handle it. its the sound of the B-52 strike in the jungle. I have to turn the gain way down, and still it doubles, and I worry about damaging the drivers. Somebody with a great sub should give this a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Now-Sessions-Rhythm-Devils/dp/B0000009N8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1211679562&sr=8-1

from the reviewers:
Check out the closing track - Napalm for Breakfast to test your stereo speakers

While "Napalm For Breakfast" will be a brutal low frequency response test of you system, it's time for another update. At a minimum, a two channel, 24/96 & 24/192 Classic Records release.

A very acquired taste, and very recommended.

From the Label
Director Francis Ford Coppola was in the process of conceptualizing his musical underpinnings of "Apocalypse Now" when he attended a Grateful Dead concert at the invitation of the late impresario Bill Graham. In the "Drums" segment of the evening, when Hart and Kreutzmann let loose with their percussive underworld of innovative instruments, he found the perfect accompaniment for his cinematic vision of the Apocalypse. Hart and Kreutzmann were recruited to bring together the myriad sounds and "colors" for this retelling of the primal myth. To the subsequent 1979-80 sessions at the Grateful Dead's Marin County studios as well as Mickey's famous "Barn" in Novato, each musician contributed a personal selection of instruments and objects, resulting in a massive assemblage of possible sonic palettes. Instruments were arranged in sound groups, and the musicans moved among them as they watched the film being screened before them. This album is a collection of the resulting jungle of sound and passion, and features an extra track ("Kurtz") and an extended version ("Napalm for Breakfast") not included on the original LP release.

JBL 4645
05-24-2008, 07:14 PM
there is a percussion soundtrack to AN by "The Rhythm Devils" - Mickey Hart" called "The Apocalypse Now Sessions". Its done on native instruments and is brutal, downright scarrey. The very last cut is called "Napalm For Breakfast" and features the very lowest freq notes I've ever heard recorded. My subs cant handle it. its the sound of the B-52 strike in the jungle. I have to turn the gain way down, and still it doubles, and I worry about damaging the drivers. Somebody with a great sub should give this a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Now-Sessions-Rhythm-Devils/dp/B0000009N8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1211679562&sr=8-1

from the reviewers:
Check out the closing track - Napalm for Breakfast to test your stereo speakers

While "Napalm For Breakfast" will be a brutal low frequency response test of you system, it's time for another update. At a minimum, a two channel, 24/96 & 24/192 Classic Records release.

A very acquired taste, and very recommended.

From the Label
Director Francis Ford Coppola was in the process of conceptualizing his musical underpinnings of "Apocalypse Now" when he attended a Grateful Dead concert at the invitation of the late impresario Bill Graham. In the "Drums" segment of the evening, when Hart and Kreutzmann let loose with their percussive underworld of innovative instruments, he found the perfect accompaniment for his cinematic vision of the Apocalypse. Hart and Kreutzmann were recruited to bring together the myriad sounds and "colors" for this retelling of the primal myth. To the subsequent 1979-80 sessions at the Grateful Dead's Marin County studios as well as Mickey's famous "Barn" in Novato, each musician contributed a personal selection of instruments and objects, resulting in a massive assemblage of possible sonic palettes. Instruments were arranged in sound groups, and the musicans moved among them as they watched the film being screened before them. This album is a collection of the resulting jungle of sound and passion, and features an extra track ("Kurtz") and an extended version ("Napalm for Breakfast") not included on the original LP release.

Tom

You have to download the Spectrumlab and connect a simple lead from the AVR or HI-Fi doesn’t really matter as long as it’s coming from the RCA outlet.

Then play the moment that gives your sound system a few issues as it will record the frequency and the response range down to the lowest 0Hz to 120Hz it would be most interesting to see the results of this mix.
http://freenet-homepage.de/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

Direct download link.
http://freenet-homepage.de/dl4yhf/spectra1.html (http://freenet-homepage.de/dl4yhf/spectra1.html)

Scroll down the page slowly until you see this link I guess you can go ahead and click or read the brief introduction, its really piss easy mate to load and then once its done it only needs a few simple settings applied, and assuming you have lead with small phone jack plug to fit into the microphone input on the back of the pc, you’re clear to go and start recording a few waterfall frequency graphs chats.

Wasn’t it “Hey wants that?” “Arc-light” “what?” “Arc-light” “B-52 strike”

SEAWOLF97
05-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Back in the 80's , I checked this LP out from the library, took it home and tried to play it. Using a Dual 701 with a Shure V-15 "SuperTrack" , pushed by a big Pioneer receiver thru some Ar3's at about 20 feet.
On the last cut, the tt wud not track. So I turned the gain to a whisper and dubbed the LP to cassette tape (not the highest fidelity). So now I was able to play it at a reasonable level.

Do you know about AR3's ? Bass demons.

Now I was able to play "Napalm for Breakfast" , but knocking pictures off the wall .

JBL 4645
05-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Back in the 80's , I checked this LP out from the library, took it home and tried to play it. Using a Dual 701 with a Shure V-15 "SuperTrack" , pushed by a big Pioneer receiver thru some Ar3's at about 20 feet.
On the last cut, the tt wud not track. So I turned the gain to a whisper and dubbed the LP to cassette tape (not the highest fidelity). So now I was able to play it at a reasonable level.

Do you know about AR3's ? Bass demons.

Now I was able to play "Napalm for Breakfast" , but knocking pictures off the wall .

Tom

This is the first I’ve heard about sorry to say. I was going to have a crack attempt at some of those music samples, then realized I don’t have secondary lead to patch from the out from the pc to the AUX input on the AVR as I only have on Frankenstein lead :D and I mean its bits of cable patched together and yet its able to give me satisfactory waterfalls. LOL so I don’t what to hear any big talk about £200 pound or $dollar RCA cable leads that are only 1m long, now then.;)

SEAWOLF97
05-25-2008, 08:25 PM
came home with 7 LP's yesterday, all mint condition ...HEART "Little Queen", Switched-on Bach , Hugo Winterhalter goes..Hawaiian , harry Owens "Voice of the Trade Winds" (I must be ready for a hawaii vacation) , Cool Water (aleady have this , but condition so good, well always need a backup), Mancini plays Mancini, and Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs - Marty Robbins.

got a chance to play Marty today - El Paso, Cool Water,etc,,,he's got the sweetest voice next to Roy Orbison. I didn't know that he sung "A white sportcoat and a pink carnation"..always thot it was Perry Como.

Anyhoo,,lots of good listening fun for $3.50 :D

SEAWOLF97
05-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Tom

You have to download the Spectrumlab and connect a simple lead from the AVR or HI-Fi doesn’t really matter as long as it’s coming from the RCA outlet.
Wasn’t it “Hey wants that?” “Arc-light” “what?” “Arc-light” “B-52 strike”

Ash - that was pretty ez. didn't read anything, just started playing wif it.
looks like NFB registered useable signal to 10hz ??

JBL 4645
05-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Tom

Morning there.

Look under (FTT) that’s (FTT) under (options) displayed at the top. Look for (FTT) settings and (Decimate input by divisor) and select number (8) that will sharpen up the resolution of the image.

The colour of the graph chart well, that’s your choosing.

I see it. Yeah I see it. Looks strong between 20Hz and 30Hz. what year was this produced?

SEAWOLF97
05-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Tom

Morning there.

. what year was this produced?

was produced for the movie that opened in 1978, so ....not sure.

new WF

SEAWOLF97
05-28-2008, 06:54 PM
well, it was another rainy , gray day in Oregon, so we hit a bunch of thrift stores. Most had beatup old nasty LP's at $2-4 each. Then we hit a church thrift that we hadnt been to for years and the LP's looked like new and were 50 cents each.

Was overjoyed to grab : 5th Dimension Greatest Hits, Linda Ronstadt with the nelson Riddle Orch , Foreigner 4 , CCR Green River, and Dire Striats Brothers in Arms.,,,,,all "as new" for a total of $2.50 :D:D:D

lots o' good/cheap listening tomorrow....

boputnam
06-01-2008, 06:11 PM
An excellent show from part of the recent San Francisco area portion of their tour. The GAMH (http://www.gamh.com/) is a damned fine venue. Really wonderful folks there... :)

Soundboard can be found here: JGB Band - GAMH - 23052008 (http://www.archive.org/details/JGB2008-05-23.JGB2008-05-23.flac16).

There's been some recent interesting personnel changes (Kit and bass) that are delivering new possibilities to the artists. Last night was an even better show, if that's possible, but it won't be uploaded for a while... ;)

JBL 4645
06-03-2008, 04:25 AM
Here is something that I’ve been playing on and off over the years and it’s never failed to once impress me with its huge deep depth over the single 18” JBL 4645.

With the “A Touch of Surround Madness” track 5 with its assorted range of lows as well as a, variety of directional sounds that have a fair amount low end within each channel. It’s a perfect way to see what the sound system can do at best of reproducing soundtrack to the best of its abilities. Sure there will always be a few compromises with each and sound system, to what it can do and what it can’t do within its technical tolerance levels.

Effectiveness of the frequency response range is a little frightening at first! Because you reach for the volume and (purse the playing) and restart with the volume at lesser level as the sub bass driver is really moving on the lower end.

I few subs of he same name and calibre should produce HUGE level but its not about having it at unnatural levels, sure the lower lows within the infrasonic range need a lot of sub to make up and bit of equalization room acoustics and several electronic crossovers to customize the system.

The top frequency waterfall graph shows the second half of the graph recoding, while the bottom is the start of the graph waterfall chart, play this while excising extreme caution.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/SpectrumsubbassLFE13417/TELARCdtsmusicdemodiscatouchofsu-1.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/SpectrumsubbassLFE13417/TELARCdtsmusicdemodiscatouchofsurro.gif

Holst the planets “Mars the Bringer of War” has been a favourite of mine for years it’s kinder like the imperial March for Star Wars with its fast rhythmic string movement and deep tympani and brass clashing to an earth moving low.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/SpectrumsubbassLFE13417/1999dts51demoCDHolstMarsthebring-1.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/SpectrumsubbassLFE13417/1999dts51demoCDHolstMarsthebringero.jpg

SEAWOLF97
06-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Mona Bone Jakon - (vinyl)

really enjoyed vintage "Cat"
includes Katmandu & Trouble

recommended. :)

SEAWOLF97
06-09-2008, 09:08 PM
lots of Marilyn McCoo (found some great 5th Dimension albums)

had forgotten what a great voice she had.....:applaud:

whizzer
06-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Could Rory Gallagher play blues & boogie or what?

SEAWOLF97
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
found this interesting --

Box for original master tape of CCR's Bayou Country

http://news.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?sector=downloads&page=list&cat=Wallpaper

Fred Sanford
07-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Laura Marling 19 yrold. Cute too !:applaud:

http://www.lauramarling.com/

New romantics !

Rich

Nice live session:

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1628142875

je

SEAWOLF97
07-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Fearless - by Hoyt Axton

geeze what a great voice- (on licorice pizza, of course !!)

Ducatista47
07-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Her CD Begin To Hope. You may like her music, you may not. She is nearly as idiosyncratic as Kate Bush, so she is not for everyone. I happen to love her work, but who cares? The recording, however, is extraordinary. She (and almost everything else) is so closely miked you could detect her turning her head. If your two channel rig is up to it, you will impress everyone with the way it plays this CD.

The ability to render detail and timbre is hugely rewarded. If you have one of those little triode amps capable of holographic level imaging, it will show up here. If you are into Full Range or possess any type of speaker with realistic, impressive coherence, you will be in shock. You will think you feel her singing breath on your face.

If your equipment is not as good as someone else's, it will sound better on theirs and no question about it.

Edit: I am not saying this is the best way to record, I wouldn't know, but this is so intimate, so in your face, it does make "in the room" easier to achieve than most recordings do. The overall result: the better your reproduction system, the better it will sound. This well is deep, even though the result sounds like everyone was gathered around a microphone a foot or two in front of your face. Not a bad way to record a cabaret singer playing a piano.

Clark

Tweak48
07-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Joey DeFrancesco's "Ballads and Blues" on my 4425s. Love that Hammond B-3:applaud:

http://www.joeydefrancesco.com/images/ballads(2).jpg

SEAWOLF97
07-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" ...esp9/4

for an old Beatles/Stones/Animals/CCR guy, this is a bit "out of character",
but after recently viewing "Clockwork Orange" , I was tempted.

My German capabilities are limited , so I cant do sing-along with the Choral movement, but wow , this is REAL musik. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Krunchy
07-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi Seawolf, I gotta say, having watched clockwork so many times, whenever I hear Ode to Joy it I cannot help but think of the movie, which is fine with me as it is one of my favorites. A friend of mine gave me the soundtrack and I play it from time to time, good stuff! :)

JBLOG
07-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Picked this up today, very unique improv!

Is Oregon still around today?

Ducatista47
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Ralph Towner, a favorite of mine for over thirty years, has long lived in Italy. He still records for ECM, plays concerts, works with great European musicians and singers (John Taylor and Maria Pia De Vito for instance) and when I last heard was getting together with Oregon every year or so. Towner has always been the defacto leader of Oregon by virtue of his otherwordly skills as a musician and composer. His 1970's ECM pickup band Solstice is still a desert island pick for me.

Clark

SEAWOLF97
07-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Beatles '65

I think the best "pre-revolver" fab-four album, lots of Carl Perkins sounding rockabilly...:D

(decided to check out my guess next day..not too far off)

"No Reply (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Reply_%28song%29)" - 2:15
"I'm a Loser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_a_Loser)" - 2:31
"Baby's in Black (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby%27s_in_Black)" - 2:02
"Rock and Roll Music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Music)" (Chuck Berry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Berry)) - 2:02
"I'll Follow the Sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ll_Follow_the_Sun)" - 1:46
"Mr. Moonlight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Moonlight_%28song%29)" (Roy Lee Johnson (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Roy_Lee_Johnson&action=edit&redlink=1)) - 2:35

"Honey Don't (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Don%27t)" (Carl Perkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Perkins)) - 2:56
"I'll Be Back (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ll_Be_Back_%28song%29)" - 2:22
"She's a Woman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_a_Woman)" - 2:57
"I Feel Fine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Feel_Fine)" - 2:20
"Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody%27s_Trying_to_Be_My_Baby)" (Perkins) - 2:24

Is Oregon still around today?

Just looked out the window,,,still there....:o:

SEAWOLF97
08-05-2008, 08:04 AM
the Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper

geeze, these guys are good ,
dont know why they didnt make superstar status ? :(

Kooper founded BS&T and did their first record ,
until getting kicked out and replaced with David Clayton-Thomas :blink:

BMWCCA
08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
geeze, these guys are good ,
dont know why they didnt make superstar status ?

They didn't? Try Super Session in which Bloomfield gets too wasted to show up for Day Two, and is replaced by a very young and dynamic Steve Stills.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510FYuSKkOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg http://www.amazon.com/Super-Session-Bloomfield/dp/B00008QSA5

SEAWOLF97
08-05-2008, 04:16 PM
They didn't? Try Super Session in which Bloomfield gets too wasted to show up for Day Two, and is replaced by a very young and dynamic Steve Stills.
(http://www.amazon.com/Super-Session-Bloomfield/dp/B00008QSA5)

Well, I guess the point (that you missed) was that these guys had the skills to be superstars, but an album named "supersession" doesn't really qualify them for that label.
Many rock aficionados know their music, but not their names. Maybe if they had been interested in stardom or the promo machine was working better or the trends had been in that direction or .or.or.??? they could have had stellar careers. As you mentioned, Stephan Stills did progress higher, but with the foundation of CSNY, before he finally had a solo career.

I started with SuperSession and have looked deeper as that really is a great album, so is "Child is father to the Man",,,,,and the search continues..

Any suggestions ??

Let's see what happens when the 4412A, L112, and L150A's are all in the same room for comparison.

plse factor the L166A's in there too.

hjames
08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Al Kooper - hmm look up old Blues Project material
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_Project

My favorite is the record of the Blues Project Reunion Tour, but I gather its a hard one to find these days. It was hard to find back then!
I saw them in 1973 at DAR Consitution Hall in DC, and it was a great show, one of the 3 shows of that tour.
I was a bit young for the earlier versions of the band, and the early albums were hit or miss with a varied lineup, and some of the earlier albums sound a bit dated to me...

I guess none of those "superstars" were really mainstream for long - even Stephen Stills isn't worthy of much notice these days, tho I saw "Manassas" a few times back in the day ...

Well, I guess the point (that you missed) was that these guys had the skills to be superstars, but an album named "supersession" doesn't really qualify them for that label.
Many rock aficionados know their music, but not their names. Maybe if they had been interested in stardom or the promo machine was working better or the trends had been in that direction or .or.or.??? they could have had stellar careers. As you mentioned, Stephan Stills did progress higher, but with the foundation of CSNY, before he finally had a solo career.

I started with SuperSession and have looked deeper as that really is a great album, so is "Child is father to the Man",,,,,and the search continues..

Any suggestions ??

plse factor the L166A's in there too.

SEAWOLF97
08-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Stephen Stills isn't worthy of much notice these days, tho I saw "Manassas" a few times back in the day ...

had read that Stills nearly died some months ago. I really like some some his solo material ie: Man Alive - spanish suite and "Go Back Home" and of course "Season of the Witch". Looks like CSN is doing concerts again and working on an album and Stills has found basement tpaes with he and Jimi Hendrix and will be releasing that also.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080710/ENT04/807100322/1039

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jimi-hendrix-and-stephen-stills-album-confirmed-163937

Not sure what Kooper is doing these days, but the was the talent behind many groups

BMWCCA
08-09-2008, 08:17 AM
No, actually, I didn't miss your point. My point was that to some of us, back then, these guys WERE superstars. If by "superstars" you meant known-to-the-masses, then maybe not. But in the days before You-Tube, Al Gore's Intranets, and MTV, many of us revered these players as the talent they were. Hence, "superstars". To say Bloomfield, for one, never became a superstar ignores his status among those who really enjoyed and knew the good music of the day. If "superstar" is based only on album sales or name recognition from teeny-boppers then many of our thread here like "best bass-player" that recognize talent over popularity aren't worthy, either. Brittany Spears is a "superstar" but not recognized as such for any musical talent I've noticed. Am I nit-picking?

Stills was revered for his work with Buffalo Springfield well before CSN; Crosby for his songwriting, Byrds work, and others; and Nash of course for The Hollies. Their fame before CSN is what qualified CSN as a "Super Group". I heard CSN two years ago on Crosby's 64th birthday. A fantastic show even as Stills struggled to hit the vocals and had to be covered by the others. My daughter gave him great credit for trying but was saddened to see he'd aged even more than the run-hard Crosby or the apparently ageless Nash.

We saw them again just about a week ago right here in town in an outside venue. Packed house, sellout crowd. Even I balked at the almost $90/ticket included facility charges and broker fees just to get into the good seats. Steep for our little town. But the show was awesome. Way more energy than those old guys should have been capable of. Stills looked a bit tired, rested in the guitar-tech corner frequently, but did surprisingly well on his vocal assignments and had moments of brilliance on the guitar. Crosby and Nash were spot-on, as usual. My wife and my daughter felt it was one of the best concerts they'd seen. And Nash even took the time to have his photo taken hugging my daughter and talking with her, after the show. Even gave her a kiss and a "Thanks, Luv."

The point? It's arguable they all attained superstar status in this configuration, but to many of us they already were superstars and that's what made CSN such an immediately superb collaboration. And to say Bloomfield never attained such status flies in the face of the world's foremost authority, Wikipedia ;), which writes:

Michael Bernard Bloomfield (July 28 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_28), 1943 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943), Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago), Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois) — February 15 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_15), 1981 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981), San Francisco (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco%2C_California) California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California)), an American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) musician (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musician), guitarist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar), and composer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composer), born in Chicago, Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago%2C_Illinois), became one of the first popular music superstars of the 1960s to earn his reputation entirely on his instrumental prowess. . . . In 2003 he was also also ranked at number 22 on Rolling Stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone)'s "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".That was pretty much my point; that in fact Kooper and Bloomfield were superstars and that's why the later album chose the name "Super Session". It wasn't a self-fulfilling prophecy, it was a fact at the time.

All that being said, I worked sound for the Boston concert in Richmond last night. Their Greatest Hits Tour. I was impressed. Again with Wikipedia:
The debut album, Boston (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_%28album%29), released in August 1976, was an enormous success. The record still ranks as the best-selling debut album in U.S. history with over 17 million copies sold.They put on a great show and I'm no Boston fan nor do I own any Boston recordings. Capacity crowd of 7,000 or so outside. Lots of JBLs. Seems the traveling rig provided by Clair wasn't used because the Clair tech didn't approve of the scaffolding on-site, so they used the local company's JBL Vertec line-arrays, six-or-so to the side, plus center-fills, with about ten dual-18" sub cabinets underneath on each side. Lots of Crown 5200s. Sounded great! So that's what I'm listening to now, since it's still ringing in my ears! 95dB limit at FOH, exceeded briefly occasionally; 65dB at the property line. According to the local LEOs, the highway traffic was louder than the ordinance's limits at the property line and exceeded the PA level. Makes you wonder why the limit? Their sound guy's comment on the plethora of Tom Scholz's "Rockman" equipment on stage, "It isn't supposed to sound good, it's supposed to sound like Boston."

SEAWOLF97
08-09-2008, 09:20 AM
. My point was that to some of us, back then, these guys WERE superstars.

Phil
I guess that well illustrates the "east coast" vs "west coast" differences. I think pop music was a bit less global back then and there was a lot more regionalism. Maybe the vast population masses of the east saw them as superstars, but airplay in the west was limited.
I had that feeling about The Byrds (went to school with Roger McGuinn) , that they never achieved the popularity on the East that they had in the West.

I think we can agree that Kooper and Bloomfield were underachievers, despite their accomplishments.

BMWCCA
08-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I guess that well illustrates the "east coast" vs "west coast" differences. I think pop music was a bit less global back then and there was a lot more regionalism. Maybe the vast population masses of the east saw them as superstars, but airplay in the west was limited.
I had that feeling about The Byrds (went to school with Roger McGuinn) , that they never achieved the popularity on the East that they had in the West.Which may actually speak more to the egocentric viewpoint we Easterners ascribe to you West Coasters; ie. that West-Coasters feel California is the center of the universe. Well, maybe that used to be true vis-à-vis JBL!, and granted many of the best all-time musical groups formed in California, but if you check the facts, groups like The Byrds were playing to packed houses in college towns across the USA as early as 1969. Even I heard them at the Boston Tea Party in 1969 and I didn't graduate from high-school until 1971 and was living in St. Louis at the time. You can check their concert calendar and see that (despite the 1969 listing incorrectly showing four shows in Boston as being in "Oregon"), they made the rounds 'back East with great regularity. Could be that's why there even was a Fillmore East. http://www.geocities.com/byrdsflyght/concerts69.htm
Heck, they even played in my new home town at UVA's basketball arena in 1968. By 1971 they were playing more on the East Coast than they were on the West Coast.

Now, what were those differences again? I seem to recall Woodstock being an East Coast event. That was the rock festival without the Hell's Angels or the riots in case you don't remember or were doing something more West-Coast oriented at the time, like contemplating your navel. :D

SEAWOLF97
08-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Aw, Phil....you are just too cute for your own good, sometimes.

Now, what were those differences again? I seem to recall Woodstock being an East Coast event.

Why ? see ==>> massive east coast population

Which may actually speak more to the egocentric viewpoint we Easterners ascribe to you West Coasters; ie. that West-Coasters feel California is the center of the universe.

Well, I am an ex-Californian, but have never mentioned it here. Center of the Universe ? We Oregonians dislike it as much here as you seem to.

in case you don't remember or were doing something more West-Coast oriented at the time, like contemplating your navel. :D

TooFugginCute !!!! I was doing something more USA oriented. Spent 69,70,72 in VietNam.

invstbiker
08-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Elton John, Dream Ticket. Specifically DVD 3 Ephesus, The great Amphitheatre-Rocket Man. Don't care about the man's sexual preference. The guy can play the piano like non other. Highly recommended

BMWCCA
08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I was doing something more USA oriented. Spent 69,70,72 in VietNam.Ahh yes, while that fellow Californian, Richard M. Nixon, was contemplating his navel.

I remember that era well. What was my draft number? 270-something? Wiki found it: 258. But my Dad (a twenty-year Navy vet of two wars, who chose to retire out of frustration with the service as a Captain only months before he'd have made Admiral) told me if I got a low number he'd drive me to Canada. Even then he was smart enough to know that was not a war we should be fighting. Thankfully he passed away a long time before he had to see the current mess we're embroiled in.

The only thing we're doing right about this war is all U.S. citizens are supporting our service men and women while they're there, and when they return. We've learned not to take our frustration out on those who only serve at the order of the Pres. Never could figure out why we blamed draftees for the war. I just protested recruiting for the war on campus. I only regret I forgot to bring the marshmallows to the ROTC bonfire at Washington University in St. Louis.

Thanks for your service. Glad your memories still allow you to enjoy visiting Nam. Some of my friends weren't that lucky.

More to the topic: Norah Jones: Not Too Late on the L7s.

SEAWOLF97
08-09-2008, 01:28 PM
that was not a war we should be fighting.
Some of my friends weren't that lucky..

totally agree , but sometimes its hard to see when you are in the middle of it and have signed a 4 year contract. I made the same statement about taking him to Canada, in the event, to my son.:)

I'm a big believer in that you "make your own luck"...(generally)

BACK TO TOPIC !!!

I picked up Bloomfield & Kooper's album "The Gospel of Blues", not knowing what I was getting....seems to be all instrumental bluesish versions of gospel music....really mellow and different....Google doesnt seen to know much about it.

BMWCCA
08-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I've switched rooms and material. Currently viewing John Mayer's new concert DVD "Where The Light Is" which debuted in select theaters for a special one-day event. Didn't see it there but I'm enjoying it quite a bit right now at home. For under fourteen-bucks for the DVD, I chose it over the CD.

Now I'm a John Mayer fan and feel he really doesn't get his due as an artist and guitar player. Most think of him as a Pop musician, but he's really much more. We've discussed before the disappointment with his earlier Trio CD release but here the best of the three sets is the Trio with electric bass and drums. These guys are cookin' and the audio quality seems pretty exceptional. Of course I'm playing it on the old 030 system (D130, 075) so it suits my ears. Just something about the sound stage presented by just a pair of 15" speakers when you're sitting in the sweet spot. If you like bluesy jazz with a heavy guitar emphasis, you might want to give it a try. The straight-up concert band set is good, as well, and the opening acoustic set is well done. And you can fast-forward past the "interview" cuts if you're not interested in that stuff. Mayer certainly isn't the best blues-man there is, and many won't think him authentic, but after hearing B.B. King talk his way through a concert last week, it's a pleasure to hear and see someone actually play a guitar. And I like B.B. :applaud:

My daughter tells me I'm gonna go deaf, but she must be confusing loudness with the tickling of her ear follicles . . . or whatever it is they're talking about on that other thread! The Crown DC300A-II is set at twelve-o'clock and the Soundcraftsmen DX4200 is barely at ten-o'clock. I haven't gotten close to the sweet-spot yet! This is how I do my best work and still enjoy my Saturday afternoon. Rock on :rockon1:

JBLOG
08-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Gone to Earth

After 20 years I still keep coming back.

Atmospheric with 'Frippertronics'

Ducatista47
08-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Jackie McLean, Jacknife, from 1965. I so love tenor sax that I sometimes forget about the great alto players. I enjoy Jackie as much as Bird, lest we forget also an alto man.

My favorite jazz drummer, Jack DeJohnette, is here, as are the wonderful trumpeters Lee Morgan and Charles Tolliver. This is a truly great jazz date.

Clark

SEAWOLF97
08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Forever changing : the golden age of Elektra Records 1963-1973.

5 sound discs :
Performer Various performers. Note Previously released material, 1963-1973.
Compact discs.
Includes booklet with extensive program notes, biographical information, photographs, and performer commentaries (76 p. : ports.) inserted in container.

Contents Disc 1: Turn! Turn! Turn!/To everything there is a season / Judy Collins -- He was a friend / Dian & The Greenbriar Boys -- High flying bird / Judy Henske -- Dink's song (Fare thee well) / Bob Gibson -- Casey ; Shady grove ; Little brown dog / Dick Rosmimi -- Linin' truck / Koerner, Ray & Glover -- The even dozens / The Even Dozen Jug Band -- Wild child in a world of trouble / Vince Martin & Fred Neil -- Good luck child / "Spider" John Koerner -- Downtown blues / Geoff Muldaur -- I ain't marching anymore / Phil Ochs -- The last thing on my mind / Tom Paxton -- Pride of man / Hamilton Camp -- Tomorrow is a long time / Judy Collins -- Black mountain rag / The Dillards ; with Byron Berline -- Green rocky road / Kathy & Carol -- Cocaine / Phil Boroff -- House un-American blues activity dream / Richard Fariña -- West egg rag / Dave Ray -- Two trains running / Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis -- Breeze / Oliver Smith -- Joshua gone Barbados / Tom Rush -- Other side to this life / Fred Neil -- Birdses / Dino Valente -- Blues with a feeling / The Paul Butterfield Blues Band -- Moonlight drive (early version) / The Doors.

Disc 2: My little red book / Love -- Wings / Tim Buckley -- So easy she goes by / David Blue -- I got a mind to give up living / The Butterfield Blues Band -- The magic carpet / Pat Kilroy -- First girl I loved / The Incredible String Band -- The invisible backwards-facing grocer who rose to fame / Alasdair Clayre -- One time and one time only / Tom Paxton -- Changes / Phil Ochs -- Hard lovin' loser / Judy Collins -- She comes in colors / Love -- Light my fire / The Doors -- Black roses / Clear Light -- Once I was / Tim Buckley -- Virgo / The Zodiac Cosmic Sounds -- Buy for me the rain / Steve Noonan -- Nevertheless / Eclection -- Fields of people / Ars Nova -- Dame fortune / The Holy Modal Rounders -- Girl of the seasons / Bamboo -- Magazine lady / "Spider" John Koerner & Willie Murphy -- The Red Sox are winning / Earth Opera -- I want you / The Waphphle.

Disc 3: Alone again or / Love -- Both sides now / Judy Collins -- No regrets / Tom Rush -- Jennifer's rabbit / Tom Paxton -- Swift as the wind / The Incredible String Band -- Frozen warnings / Nico -- Down river / David Ackles -- Mad Lydia's waltz / Earth Opera -- Sing a song for you / Tim Buckley -- The sun comes up each day / David Stoughton -- Early morning blues & greens / Diane Hildebrand -- She sang hymns out of tune / The Dillards -- Arthur comics / Stalk-Forrest Group -- Five to one / The Doors -- Apricot brandy / Rhinoceros -- When the battle is over / Delaney & Bonnie and Friends -- Mt. Healthy blues / Lonnie Mack -- Kick out the jams / MC5 -- I wanna be your dog / The Stooges -- Go back / Crabby Appleton -- Dismal day / Bread -- August / Love.

Disc 4: Down on the street / The Stooges -- Louise / Paul Siebel -- Amazing grace / Judy Collins -- That's the way I've always heard it should be / Carly Simon -- Riders on the storm / The Doors -- The future's not what it used to be / Mickey Newbury -- Start living / Farquahr -- Taxi / Harry Chapin -- True story of Amelia Earhart / Plainsong -- I hardly know her name / The Wackers -- Ballad of the ship of state / David Ackles -- The guitar man / Bread -- You're so vain / Carly Simon -- You don't grow old / Courtland Pickett -- Dolphins / Cyrus Faryar -- Shadows on the wall / Skymonters ; with Hamid Hamilton Camp -- Burning Love / Dennis Linde -- Keep yourself alive / Queen.

Disc 5: Wind Chimes -- Don't be long / The Beefeaters -- I'll be back / Joshua Rifkin -- Baldheaded end of the broom / The Dry City Scat Band -- We shall be happy / Joseph Spence -- Good time music / The Lovin' Spoonful -- Born in Chicago / The Paul Butterfield Blues Band -- Crossroads / Eric Clapton & The Powerhouse -- I'll keep it with mine / Judy Collins -- She's a woman / The Charles River Valley Boys -- Sunshine sunshine / Tom Rush -- Bird song / The Holy Modal Rounders -- She's ready to be free / Clear Light -- Wayfaring stranger / Tim Buckley -- Laissez-faire / David Ackles -- Alphabet song / David Peel & The Lower East Side -- Voodoo woman / Simon Stokes & The Nighthawks -- Please (Mark II) / Eclection -- Flames (single version) / Leviathan -- No words between us / Show of hands -- Listening to music / Jack S. Margolis -- Lotus / The Rainbow Band -- The persecution & restoration of Dean Moriarty (On the road) / Aztec Two-Step -- P.O.W. / Goodthunder -- All around my grandmother's floor / Andy Roberts -- World without end / Jobriath.

indycraft
08-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't know why I waited so many years to buy the Sons....... on CD. I am glad I finally did. Just got a 2 cd set entitled "The Ariola Years" and I am well pleased.

It is a 3 album compilation consisting of "A Circle Filled with Love", Loving is Why, and The Sons of Champlin"

The mix sounds just right through my L100s.

Steve
08-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Aloha indycraft

Wow, the Son's.
Great group. Used to see them live a lot back in the '70's.
Didn't know a CD is out. Time to go get it
Thanks for the heads up on "The Ariola Years"

Steve aka Maui Steve

Steve
08-16-2008, 12:56 PM
This morning I have been having a lot of fun listening to the new album from Baal Tinne, The Clearing.
One song in particular, Toss the Feather/Shoemaker's Daughter
The opening of the song with the bodhrán drum has me all goofy.
I have been playing it over and over. Part of it is from being a percussion player from years ago in orchestra's, marching bands, symphonies, percussion ensembles and jazz bands, the other part is just how great it was recorded and clarity of its sound.
I first played it on my Altec Santiago's, then JBL 4425's and 4311's and and then an old pair of Klipsch Heresy's.
When I hear a real clean and pronounced kick drum or other drums or percussive instrument being played that I can actually hear the stick or mallet or ( for the bodhrán, tipper) I just love it. Getting to hear drum rolls and being able to listen to the pressure on the sticks hitting the head, even or uneven pressure from each hand, right or left handed, matched or traditional grip on the sticks is a joy for me.

Rest of the album is also very good, even if one doesn't normally listen to Irish music

Steve aka Maui Steve

indycraft
08-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Rest of the album is also very good, even if one doesn't normally listen to Irish music

Steve aka Maui Steve[/quote]

I like this artist for music with an irish/cajun influence.

http://www.littlebluemen.com/beth.asp

indycraft
08-17-2008, 02:30 PM
The last time I saw the sons was August of 1976 on television on one of the concert shows. The only time I saw them live was spring of 1976. A couple of guys pooled their money and hired them to come to our town of 6500 people. They played at the roller rink....(no skating allowed) The 2 promoters were bragging about how many tickets they were selling (trying to build excitement) It worked against them and I think there were less than 100 people at the show. Quite an intimate performance. They played with so much energy it was and still is hard to imagine they could have played with anymore intensely for any sized audience.

Bart

Aloha indycraft

Wow, the Son's.
Great group. Used to see them live a lot back in the '70's.
Didn't know a CD is out. Time to go get it
Thanks for the heads up on "The Ariola Years"

Steve aka Maui Steve

Benatti
08-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Collaborating with the topic:
James Benatti Lansing

Hoerninger
08-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Yesterday I was in Lüneburg 50 km south of Hamburg by chance. There was a a second hand shop for old media (Lps, Cds ...). The owner told me that the selling of LPs is growing, he is quite satisfied. He even showed an interest in one or more of my spare TT.

http://www.hotel-bargenturm.de/images/header/lueneburg_2.jpg

I looked for an Oscar Peterson LP, but it ended up with a jazz sampler. And I got Udo Jürgens (180 g vinyl), BAP and Peter Maffay - all German artists.

When I came home there was finally a DVD ordered online:

The Everly Brothers Reunion Concert
Live from the Royal Albert Hall London
September 23, 1983

I recognized most of the nineteen tracks. Two or three beats and the memory was back. I wondered where from I knew them all. It was not the music they played regularly in German radio stations. Maybe AFN (American Forces Network from the Frankfurt area) or my brother had simply collected these songs on tape (reel).
The Everly Brothers are singing with great intensity. Wonderful musicians and a very delighted audience join this great concert.

Stage monitor of concert::

SEAWOLF97
08-23-2008, 07:52 PM
I just had..."Have a nice Decade" - the 70's ,,,,,7 CD set,,,,I had forgotten how corny that time era was .....WOW ,,,only ripped to MP3 about 10 percent of the tunes, and they were IFFY. (mostly Doors & BTO)

Fly Robin, Fly !!! (up up to the sky) .....where is that emoicon holding nose ? :spchless:

SEAWOLF97
09-03-2008, 06:39 AM
just picked up "MotherShip"

its a 2 disk LZ greatest hits set with very nice remaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothership_(album)

hjames
09-03-2008, 07:07 AM
just picked up "MotherShip"

its a 2 disk LZ greatest hits set with very nice remaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothership_(album)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothership_%28album%29)

Wow - that's interesting!

I'd heard that Mothership was one of the albums mastered with high compression to get a higher loudness setting, so it would compete with other contemporary recordings with similar high compression settings ...
some folks had said it was nearly unlistenable compared to the better japanese Zep remasters of a few years back.

I've got older copies and I'm not enough of a fan to buy those albums yet again, so I can't check it myself ...

Fred Sanford
09-03-2008, 09:45 AM

I'd heard that Mothership was one of the albums mastered with high compression to get a higher loudness setting, so it would compete with other contemporary recordings with similar high compression settings ...
some folks had said it was nearly unlistenable compared to the better japanese Zep remasters of a few years back.

I've got older copies and I'm not enough of a fan to buy those albums yet again, so I can't check it myself ...

I've got them all on vinyl (doubles of II, IV and ITTOD), then bought all again on CD (sounded like crap, gave them to an ex-gf), got the first box sets (sounded good, but out of album order), then ripped MP3s of my brother's later box set (same sound, in album order). Can't make me buy more. Later got more live stuff on CD & DVD.

je

SEAWOLF97
09-03-2008, 10:03 AM
some folks had said it was nearly unlistenable compared to the better japanese Zep remasters of a few years back. ...

Perhaps my speakers/system not good enuff, dont hear the problems you are referring to..sounds natural and effortless and clean

Can't make me buy more.
je

buy ? who said buy ? county library is a great source . ( I ,too ,have bought too many in the past )

SEAWOLF97
09-03-2008, 02:56 PM

some folks had said it was nearly unlistenable compared to the better japanese Zep remasters of a few years back..

STRICTLY for research purposes,,,, (cause you have to believe a Bimmer drivin' JBLer ('cept bottomfeeders :barf:)) , I set a new SPL record for my house on "Dazed & Confused and "Babe, I'm gonna leave you" , if there are problems...I didnt hear them ( and this was on my $5 Kyocera player)

Where did you pick up that info ?

hjames
09-03-2008, 03:22 PM
STRICTLY for research purposes,,,, (cause you have to believe a Bimmer drivin' JBLer ('cept bottomfeeders :barf:)) , I set a new SPL record for my house on "Dazed & Confused and "Babe, I'm gonna leave you" , if there are problems...I didnt hear them ( and this was on my $5 Kyocera player)

Where did you pick up that info ?

I'd heard it mentioned in anumber of places at the time, but here is a couple of quick links ...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=126513

Interesting comments on pg 26 of that thread ...
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=126513&page=26

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28445

also see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
I'd heard it mentioned in anumber of places at the time, but here is a couple of quick links ...

Hj ...I read those links ....highly divergent comments , so I have the choice of evaluating what is in my hand/cd player on my system or believing unknown posters comments about sound on unknown systems ,,, hard choice :bouncy:

gotta say tho, these 250ti's were made for playing "Dazed & Confused" :applaud:

hjames
09-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Hj ...I read those links ....highly divergent comments , so I have the choice of evaluating what is in my hand/cd player on my system or believing unknown posters comments about sound on unknown systems ,,, hard choice :bouncy:

gotta say tho, these 250ti's were made for playing "Dazed & Confused" :applaud:

Yeah, I have the Japanese remasters from a few years previous, so I can't personally comment on Mothership - I just heard folks say it was louder and mixed a bit more trebley as is the custom in these days ...

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Different subject

I was P2Ping around, and picking up Rolling Stones tunes....got a full album called "Hillsdale" (49 minutes) ....Its obviously Stones, but mostly instrumental, things I've never heard them do, maybe original.....tried to do some research on it, but found nothing...Any nfo ?

SEAWOLF97
09-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Got in my 10 miles on the bike today. I make a couple of different circuits to cover 6 different thrifts in the area,
anyway ..

picked up these today ...all very nice condition and the Montoya 5 disk set looked liked they had never been played .....$1.47 total ...guess what I'm listening to today ?

SEAWOLF97
09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
It was a beautiful day and did the 12 mile loop on the bike,,,,spent $7 on 4 disks (theM&P's are a double) ...high for me but the Lp's are in perfect condition, very low hour(s) pon them:applaud:

BMWCCA
09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
"It's A Beautiful Day" indeed. What a wonderful album. One I still have and intend to convert to a CD someday. Someday. Now I see I can simply buy it on-line for twenty-bucks.

SEAWOLF97
09-16-2008, 02:47 PM
"It's A Beautiful Day" indeed. What a wonderful album. One I still have and intend to convert to a CD someday. Someday. Now I see I can simply buy it on-line for twenty-bucks.

loved the lyrics on "Hot Summer Day"

They told me that the sun turned green
I said I didn't know
And they told me that the moon turned blue
And I said it didn't show
And they told me that I looked a fool
And I said I'd let that go
But when they told me that our love was dead
I had to turn and go

Oh love, love, love, love
Love, where did you go

Mid 80's today, so I did #3 loop, about 8 miles. dragged home these 2 LP's ,,the jackets are a little worn , but disks are like new ...$1.60

SEAWOLF97
09-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I picked up "The Capitol Albums" Beatles vol2 yesterday from the lib....its "The Early Beatles" , "Beatles VI" , "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" complete albums on 4 CD's

The booklet says "prepared from the original 1965 Capitol master tapes" .....and the CD's truly do sound fine.

I was amused by this album cover on VeeJay records of the "mop tops"

hjames
09-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Watching The Sopranos last night, they ran the episode where Johnny Sacs is allowed out of jail to attend his daughter's wedding. They had a wedding band doing the usual hits, but at one point they played "At Last".

So - afterwards, because its been ages, I had to play Etta James' CD to hear the original.
Sat back, took off my glasses, dimmed the lights - and cranked the big system a bit ... and I hear an intermittent thump! Maybe Emma walking around upstairs, maybe the cats jumping around - not regular, but Thump ... ... ... thump.

Completely weirds me out - I call out to Emma - she's in the office - wasn't her. Cats are in the living room, not overhead - wasn't them hunt around - no lights on the subwoofer amp (CDs generally play in stereo and don't feed the sub amp or subs). Pause the CD - no thumps. Play it again, intermittent thumps.
Its in the recording and I never heard it before on the L-36s or the 4320 hackers - but - the 4341s play low enough that I got it this time ...

Apparently just random bangs from the recording studio process ... amazing.

LRBacon
09-19-2008, 03:44 PM
loved the lyrics on "Hot Summer Day"

They told me that the sun turned green
I said I didn't know
And they told me that the moon turned blue
And I said it didn't show
And they told me that I looked a fool
And I said I'd let that go
But when they told me that our love was dead
I had to turn and go

Oh love, love, love, love
Love, where did you go

Mid 80's today, so I did #3 loop, about 8 miles. dragged home these 2 LP's ,,the jackets are a little worn , but disks are like new ...$1.60

Tom, I still have my original "It's A Beautiful Day" LP. Bought it new in 1969. I have the San Francisco Sound CD version of it, too. Haven't listened to it for a while.

BMWCCA
09-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't knock it until you've tried it! Nice full sound. It'll surprise you.

http://www.amazon.com/Grapefruit-Moon-Songs-Tom-Waits/dp/B001C28Z8O

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51a0NA8dx8L._SS500_.jpg

SEAWOLF97
09-25-2008, 04:23 PM
I had forgotten how good BOTW is...:) .4 disks...total $3

hjames
09-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I had forgotten how good BOTW is...:) .4 disks...total $3

See if you can find a copy of S&G Live in Ohio, USA - Nov 11, 1969. Its an underground release of the audio from a never aired AT&T sponsored TV show, recorded at Miami University in Ohio. Features " a song off our new album" that apparently hadn't been heard yet. No one responds to the opening notes of the song Bridge over Troubled water (and Artie's voice is still young and sweet). Its amazing. Plus a nice version of "So Long, Frank Loyd Wright". And the song that got the show canned by the sponsors "Cuba Si, Nixon No".

Its hard to find album but its actually quite nice.
A compilation release from later in the year is due out at some point -
http://www.kink.fm/pages/1560496.php?

The tracks are a bit different than the show I have - but I'd imagine anything from that period is very fine -
the guys were at their peak, the musicians from the BOTW album were touring with them ...

Here's what they say about the coming (authorized) release - Live 1969":

"Homeward Bound" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"At the Zoo" (11/27/69, New York)
"The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"Song for the Asking" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"Scarborough Fair/Canticle" (11/28/69, New York)
"Mrs. Robinson" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"The Boxer" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"Why Don't You Write Me" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"That Silver-Haired Daddy of Mine" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"Bridge Over Troubled Water" (11/28/69, New York)
"The Sound of Silence" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"I Am a Rock" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"Old Friends/Bookends Theme" (11/1/69, Toledo, Ohio)
"Leaves That Are Green" (11/31/69, Detroit)
"Kathy's Song" (date unknown, St. Louis)

SEAWOLF97
09-26-2008, 02:54 PM
It must be "Rescue Ronstadt" week ,,,did the #1 - 10 mile bike loop and bought second and third ones in 2 days....after so long with just crappy, beat up LP's, suddenly there are bunches in like new condition..$1 for 2.

SEAWOLF97
09-27-2008, 05:22 PM
PDX weather still holding up ...did #4 bike circuit (16 miles) and I'm 'bout worn out,,these old legs dont like hills :o: ....grabbed these nine...I know...2nds on IABD, but cant have too many of those,,the BST actually has their GH album inside .... all nice condition ...9 for $4.41

The Control 250's sure do like vinyl...:bouncy::D:bouncy::D:bouncy:

SEAWOLF97
09-28-2008, 04:37 PM
took the truck out for the LAST , I swear, LAST load of firewood. Stopped by the thrift on the way back and........you guessed it...more vinyl , gonna have a fun winter...."old tunes by the woodstove"

JBLRaiser
09-28-2008, 05:19 PM
This one is still sealed

BMWCCA
09-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Fourplay, their first and eponymous CD.

Bob James, keyboards
Lee Ritenour, guitars
Nathan East, bass
Harvey Mason, drums

Track #5, "Man-O-Man" is a candidate for source material i the L300—L7 shootout.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410B7Q2PQPL._SS500_.jpg

Vintage Nut
10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I try to play a variety of stuff in an attempt to expose my kids (three girls) to some really good music they, otherwise, may never hear.

For instance, last night, I held my 4-month old in my arms for a 45-minute session with Steely Dan. Moderately-low levels of course. She was really into it; just stared at the speakers with contentment all over. Might try a little Dave Brubeck tonight. :D

I think Aja is my favorite all-time album, but have always wished it was higher-def. I have the old 24-karat coated CD, which does actually sound a little better than a standard CD IMHO, but there's probably a better version out there somewhere.

Not to linger, but I kind of like John Mayer's Continuum. For some reason, some of the high frequencies sound a little distorted, but the general mix is sort of a sweet spot for me. They seemed to have nailed the HF on "Gravity", though.

Vintage Nut
10-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Just in case anyone is interested, here's the 24k gold CD mentioned in the previous post.

Anyone else have one of these gold CDs? I can hear a difference between a standard CD and this one, though I suppose it wasn't the greatest things since slided bread as they didn't make them very long.

SEAWOLF97
10-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Anyone else have one of these gold CDs? I can hear a difference between a standard CD and this one, though I suppose it wasn't the greatest things since slided bread as they didn't make them very long.

This is the only one that I thot was worth the extra money ....it MAY sound better, but after making hi-bitrate MP3's, still had to mod the files to my prefs.

BMWCCA
10-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Not to linger, but I kind of like John Mayer's Continuum. For some reason, some of the high frequencies sound a little distorted, but the general mix is sort of a sweet spot for me. They seemed to have nailed the HF on "Gravity", though.Yeah, that bothers me, too. The distortion seems to be on purpose and keyed to the kick-drum. More noticeable on a good system than it is in my car, so I play it more there than at home. Seems to be an engineering trick to make it sound like a distorted car system played too loud even if you play it soft. A different generation of listeners? I've mentioned it before on these forums with no answer. Maybe someone on the board side of the biz can answer the why.

I find Mayer's live DVD "Where the Light is" covers much of that material in far better quality, to my ears. It's truly a great combination of sets showing Mayer actually does have talent beyond Top-40 radio. I've seen it on sale for about $10 quite recently and highly recommend it but I can't speak to the quality of the CD since I didn't buy that. Might have to though, unless someone can show me an easy way to convert the DVD audio to a direct digital transfer to a CD. It's also available on a vinyl LP. I'd also recommend Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD, particularly the first one, to see and hear Mayer at his best.

LowPhreak
10-09-2008, 06:01 AM

I have several MoFi CD's:

~ Blind Faith
~ Cream - Live Cream; Wheels of Fire; Disreali Gears
~ ELP - Tarkus
~ Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
~ Joe Jackson - Night and Day
~ Tull - Stand Up, Thick As A Brick; Songs From The Wood
~ B.B. King - Live at the Regal
~ Dave Mason - Alone Together
~ Joni Mitchell - Wild Things Run Fast
~ Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream; Days of Future Passed
~ Pink Floyd - DSOTM
~ Keith Richards - Talk is Cheap
~ Santana - Abraxas
~ The Who - Tommy
~ Howlin' Wolf - The Real Folk Blues

...and several of the vinyls as well. I would say that most of them are sonically better than the 'standard' versions.

Fred Sanford
10-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Yeah, that bothers me, too. The distortion seems to be on purpose and keyed to the kick-drum. More noticeable on a good system than it is in my car, so I play it more there than at home. Seems to be an engineering trick to make it sound like a distorted car system played too loud even if you play it soft. A different generation of listeners? I've mentioned it before on these forums with no answer. Maybe someone on the board side of the biz can answer the why.

I haven't heard it, but from your description it could be this- I've heard it used to fatten up a kick to the point where it squashes & distorts (much like saturating analog tape did):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphex_Systems

I'm sure there are also modern plug-ins that are similar.

je

Fred Sanford
10-09-2008, 06:09 AM
I find Mayer's live DVD "Where the Light is" covers much of that material in far better quality, to my ears. It's truly a great combination of sets showing Mayer actually does have talent beyond Top-40 radio. I've seen it on sale for about $10 quite recently and highly recommend it but I can't speak to the quality of the CD since I didn't buy that. Might have to though, unless someone can show me an easy way to convert the DVD audio to a direct digital transfer to a CD.

I play DVDs on my Pioneer DVL-90 player, and send the PCM output to either my Panasonic DAT (which can then transfer to CD) or Alesis MasterLink (which can then burn a CD internally). I have occasionally had some kind of copyguard issues, but I think that's only been with the Alesis. Works every time from a LaserDisc, though...:o:

I'm sure there are ways to do the same with a PC, I just haven't investigated that. My methods are hardly worth it if the CD is available for $10...unless the mix is different for some reason.

je

Vintage Nut
10-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah, that bothers me, too. The distortion seems to be on purpose and keyed to the kick-drum.

Yeah, I kind of thought it may have been done that way intentionally as well. Not sure why they would want to do it, but it just seems too obvious to have been a mistake or oversight.

I find Mayer's live DVD "Where the Light is" covers much of that material in far better quality, to my ears. It's truly a great combination of sets showing Mayer actually does have talent beyond Top-40 radio.

I still need to pick that one up. I've heard good things about it. Hopefully, Mayer will be around for a long time as I think it will be interesting to see what he does over the years.

Vintage Nut
10-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Oh, and while we're on the topic of live albums, check out The New York Rock and Soul Revue: Live At The Beacon. Very nice.

BMWCCA
10-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Well, I picked up the CD version of "Where the Light Is" a few minutes ago. Yeah, the DVD was that good. Saw it online for as low as $9.99 (Amazon, free shipping with $25 order) but my local independent record store (remember those?) had it on sale for only $14.95 and if I don't buy from them they'll probably shrivel up and die. Two bucks less than Circuit City right next door though I'd have saved two-bucks if I'd ventured into Best Buy down the road. How many times would you all have paid $2 not to have to go to Best Buy?

Sounds good in the car, so far. I'll try it at home shortly. A two-CD set for ten-bucks (or even fifteen) is hard to beat. All the same cuts as the DVD, without the interviews. I'll feed it to the L7s shortly.

Vintage Nut
10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Your car must have an automatic in it. :D

BMWCCA
10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Your car must have an automatic in it. Hah! No, just a CD changer . . . and the store wasn't that far away!

Ok, without adding an additional post:

First blush, the solo acoustic set sound fine. Nothing spectacular in the recording but the performance is very good. What should I expect? Kind of thin sounding with the reverb you'd expect from a big hall with one performer. Nice clear recording and an accomplished performer. You probably have to like John Mayer and un-plugged live recordings.

The Trio set is much more dynamic. Some cuts have a very narrow soundstage that sounds almost monaural. Once they get into it the bass gives the recording a fullness you wanted in the acoustic set. I happen to know from the DVD that it will only get better. I recall the highlight of the DVD was the Trio set but the full-band second CD should be the favorite of Mayer's fans.

SEAWOLF97
10-13-2008, 03:58 PM
a break in the weather today, so did the 8 mile loop..Columbus Day meant half price day at the thrift, so.....

I guess I got Estephan's guitar teaching disk from back when he was Stefan Grossman..3 Dog Nights "Joy to the World"..I've really been enjoying that tune by Hoyt Axton on the JBL Sessions set, but always wondered who wrote it...had to look at this LP to see it was Hoyt himself.
No super standouts, but heck, for $4.....:applaud:

(had to throw back a nice "Kingston Trio" LP - scratches...:(

JBL 4645
10-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Been listening to John Williams Star Wars by the LOS London Symphony Orchestra have we Tom :D. Does it contain the list of musical instruments that should be two sided sheet of paper, I somehow lost my mine only a few weeks after I brought the album for £5.50p from, Record Merchandise Ltd late of 1977 or early 1978.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=34591&stc=1&d=1223938602